The probability that life could occur without the aid of God

The probability that life could occur without the aid of God

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

c

Moves
25 Apr 16

Originally posted by sonship
Twhitehead's contention is that it is [b] NONSENSE , not to attempt to PROVE God did it, but to even use probability analysis to demonstrate evidence that non-random direction had to be involved. And by that some people could conceivably speak of God.

His contention is that we have no right to even apply statistical probability to the proble ...[text shortened]... reasonable weighting of the evidence to affirm DIRECTION of an intelligence in life's formation.[/b]
I tend to stay out of these type discussions because I don't have the necessary science background to debate, but I 'think' that even if everyone agreed with the big bang theory, that it has NOT been proven, nor even a genuine hypothesis on where the initial material came from to even 'go bang'.

Something existed....something went bang....and that something did NOT come from nothing.

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
25 Apr 16
1 edit

Originally posted by chaney3
...I don't have the necessary science background to debate,

but

Something existed....something went bang....and that something did NOT come from nothing.
Contradiction!

c

Moves
25 Apr 16

Originally posted by wolfgang59
Contradiction!
Okay, lol, then it's my own personal hypothesis, and I highly doubt I will be published. 🙂

D
Losing the Thread

Quarantined World

Moves
25 Apr 16

Assertion: Anyone who claims to have worked out an explicit probability for life occurring 'at random' or what they really mean 'without the aid of God', is talking nonsense.

IIya Prigogine was a recipient of the Nobel prize in [b] Chemistry.
. He wrote in the magazine Physics Today the following:

"The pro ...[text shortened]... common sense.[/b] [2]

[my bolding]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mind_and_Cosmos[/b]
I don't think either of those people are saying what you think they are. Prigogine's argument seems to be that a fully fledged cell cannot have come into existence by random chance, I don't think this is controversial. According the Wikipedia page he worked on self-organising systems, he seems to have been arguing against a crude version of abiogenesis where a cell complete with genome and protoplasm is created by random collision.

Nagel is a rationalist, he is an atheist and does not believe in intelligent design. His argument is with reductionism in biology, he sees it as teleological rather than mechanistic, he is not saying that abiogenesis is impossible.

K

Germany

Moves
26 Apr 16

Originally posted by chaney3
I tend to stay out of these type discussions because I don't have the necessary science background to debate, but I 'think' that even if everyone agreed with the big bang theory, that it has NOT been proven, nor even a genuine hypothesis on where the initial material came from to even 'go bang'.

When would you consider a theory "proven"?

Infidel

Moves
26 Apr 16

Originally posted by Fetchmyjunk
... if smart intelligent scientists cannot use their intelligence to create life in the lab, what makes you think life can create itself without intelligent intervention?

Lets pretend for a moment they were able to do it [scientists have created life in labs].... Wouldn't that support the idea that life came from a form of intelligent intervention?
So, basically, whatever the scientific outcome, you will always be able to twist it into a "See, intelligent design!" conclusion? Very nice.

Cape Town

Moves
26 Apr 16

I don't think that is right.
I think that is overkill to the point of arrogance and bigotry.
And yet this is the first time in the thread that you have explicitly stated that you disagree with it. I also note that you have failed to provide the suggested counter argument, a reasonable scenario in which a probability calculation would make any kind of sense.

Cape Town

Moves
26 Apr 16

Originally posted by DeepThought
According the Wikipedia page he worked on self-organising systems, he seems to have been arguing against a crude version of abiogenesis where a cell complete with genome and protoplasm is created by random collision.
Also of note is the fact that no probability calculation of any kind was done.

rc

Moves
26 Apr 16
1 edit

The probability is about the same as going to a junk yard and finding a fully functional Boeing 747 which had managed to construct itself from the components lying around.

Cape Town

Moves
26 Apr 16
1 edit

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
The probability is about the same as going to a junk yard and finding a fully functional Boeing 747 which had managed to construct itself from the components lying around.
How did you work that out?
And is this the probability for the next junkyard you go to, or every junkyard that has ever existed?

rc

Moves
26 Apr 16
3 edits

Originally posted by twhitehead
How did you work that out?
And is this the probability for the next junkyard you go to, or every junkyard that has ever existed?
I did not work it out I imagined it. You are asking us to believe that a hugely complex system like a cell could somehow manage to fabricate itself from random components that just happened to be lying around in some pre organic 'soup'. Come sir, that takes a greater leap of faith than it does to believe in an intelligent designer.

Infidel

Moves
26 Apr 16

I did not work it out I imagined it.
Which neatly summarizes basically every theist.

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
26 Apr 16

Originally posted by Great King Rat
Which neatly summarizes basically every theist.
Sorry but rain falling on a rock for millions of years to form a chemical soup beats any theistic imagination. 😀

rc

Moves
26 Apr 16

Originally posted by Fetchmyjunk
Sorry but rain falling on a rock for millions of years to form a chemical soup beats any theistic imagination. 😀
Its even more fantastic than the Biblical account of creation!

Cape Town

Moves
26 Apr 16

I did not work it out I imagined it.
So, not a probability calculation at all. Just a wild guess.

You are asking us to believe that a hugely complex system like a cell could somehow manage to fabricate itself from random components that just happened to be lying around in some pre organic 'soup'.
No, I have asked you to believe no such thing.