The Magic of Childhood

The Magic of Childhood

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
10 Oct 14

A local Christian primary school is doing a production of Cinderella.
... but without the magic!
No Fairy Godmother!
No pumpkin turning into a coach!

It seems there is an anti-magic movement within Christianity that is gaining ground.

Christians: Do you think that is a good or bad thing for your religion?

Moves
10 Oct 14

Originally posted by wolfgang59
No Fairy Godmother!

It seems there is an anti-magic movement within Christianity that is gaining ground.

I think some Christians are desperate to have something which demonstrates that they are "fighting the good fight". I remember Christians getting twisted out of shape over:

Music
TV
Dungeons and dragons
Pokemon cards
Ghostbusters
Harry Potter

and so on and so forth....

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
10 Oct 14

Originally posted by divegeester
I think some Christians are desperate to have something which demonstrates that they are "fighting the good fight". I remember Christians getting twisted out of shape over:

Music
TV
Dungeons and dragons
Pokemon cards
Ghostbusters
Harry Potter

and so on and so forth....
I've only recently been aware of it so from my perspective it seems to be growing.
Do you think it has always been there or its on increase?

R
Acts 13:48

California

Moves
10 Oct 14

No Fairy Godmother!

I hope the pumpkin turns into wade Phillips he is kind of an over weight coach.

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
10 Oct 14

No Fairy Godmother!

Then a case could probably be made for Christians abandoning Santa Claus and the celebrating of Christmas as well because there is no such thing in the Bible. Its all a made up and copied from pagans.

Moves
10 Oct 14

I've only recently been aware of it so from my perspective it seems to be growing.
Do you think it has always been there or its on increase?
Both; I think it's always been there and it's probably on the increase.

I also know of Christians who got very upset over the film "The Passion of the Christ".

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
10 Oct 14

Originally posted by Rajk999
Then a case could probably be made for Christians abandoning Santa Claus and the celebrating of Christmas as well because there is no such thing in the Bible. Its all a made up and copied from pagans.
[eyeroll]If only you worshipped God the way you worship the Bible.[/eyeroll]

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
11 Oct 14

Both; I think it's always been there and it's probably on the increase.

I also know of Christians who got very upset over the film "The Passion of the Christ".
I thought it was a great film, I was in tears watching it. I don't see why Christians would be upset with the film.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
11 Oct 14

No Fairy Godmother!

Pffffft, a bunch of parents getting their undies in a bunch over nothing.

Let kids be kids.

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
11 Oct 14

Originally posted by Suzianne
Pffffft, a bunch of parents getting their undies in a bunch over nothing.

Let kids be kids.
The parents don't get a say.
Its the school ethos.

Moves
11 Oct 14

I thought it was a great film, I was in tears watching it. I don't see why Christians would be upset with the film.
The film was highly controversial for a number perspectives, I'm surprised you didn't hear about it.

Moves
11 Oct 14
1 edit

The film was highly controversial for a number perspectives, I'm surprised you didn't hear about it.
As I recall, mostly jews were upset with that movie.

Here's an excellent review of the movie:
http://www.simpletoremember.com/articles/a/Passion_Movie_Review/

Christians really should be more upset with the movie, if it's not true to the gospels. I guess that goes to show the ignorance among christians about their own gospels.

Anyway, I love the end of the review:

Many years ago I met with Ernest Hemingway. In a remarkably frank conversation, the Pulitzer Prize winner confessed to me that there was something about Judaism that he admired more than any other religion. “From my understanding,” he told me, “Judaism, unlike the Christianity in which I was raised, is a religion of life, not a religion of death.”

That brilliant insight is what I wish Jews would stress as the ultimate reason why we can’t relate to a film that is preoccupied with nine hours of dying. “Choose life” is the cardinal message of our religion. A movie that celebrates death, produced under the Icon Films label, can only make me regret as a Jew that Gibson didn’t take to heart the Biblical prohibition of the Second Commandment: “Thou shalt not make for yourself any icons.”

rc

Moves
11 Oct 14

That you do not see is probably the problem here, perhaps your conscience is defunct and has become desensitized to gratuitous violence. Who can say?

C
It is what it is

Pretoria

Moves
11 Oct 14

Originally posted by C Hess

“From my understanding,” he told me, “Judaism, unlike the Christianity in which I was raised, is a religion of life, not a religion of death.”

I really like that, thanks, CHess

Le Chaim!

Moves
11 Oct 14

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
That you do not see is probably the problem here, perhaps your conscience is defunct and has become desensitized to gratuitous violence. Who can say?
The graphic violence was only one controversy with the film. There were many other far more interesting topics than what is already depicted in the Bible, although I'm not surprised this is the one you would pick up on.