The Heart

The Heart

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

T

Moves
04 Jun 18
3 edits

Originally posted by @romans1009
I see you’re back to your psychological projection and personal attacks. Makes me wonder why I even bother conversing with you.

Here’s a good commentary on John 5:21: https://www.biblestudytools.com/commentaries/gills-exposition-of-the-bible/john-5-21.html

And it’s interesting that you neglected the verses that follow it. Here’s the passage in full ...[text shortened]... and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life.”

(Matthew 5:21-24)
I didn't "neglect" it. I only included what was necessary to show that Jesus will judge who will live which was in direct response to your request.

And then Jesus fully explains what He'd been saying:

John 5
25“Truly, truly, I say to you, an hour is coming and now is, when the dead will hear the voice of the Son of God, and those who hear will live. 26“For just as the Father has life in Himself, even so He gave to the Son also to have life in Himself; 27and He gave Him authority to execute judgment, because He is the Son of Man. 28“Do not marvel at this; for an hour is coming, in which all who are in the tombs will hear His voice, 29and will come forth; those who did the good deeds to a resurrection of life, those who committed the evil deeds to a resurrection of judgment.

Jesus clearly states that God has given Him authority to execute judgement on who will live and His criteria for judging: "those who did the good deeds to a resurrection of life, those who committed the evil deeds to a resurrection of judgment".

Moves
04 Jun 18

Originally posted by @thinkofone

Jesus clearly states that God has given Him authority to execute judgement on who will live and His criteria for judging: "those who did the good deeds to a resurrection of life, those who committed the evil deeds to a resurrection of judgment".[/b]
Do you believe there will be 'degrees of judgment?

'That servant who knows his master’s will and does not get ready or does not do what his master wants will be beaten with many blows. But the one who does not know and does things deserving punishment will be beaten with few blows. From everyone who has been given much, much will be demanded; and from the one who has been entrusted with much, much more will be asked.'

(Luke 12:47-48)

Aficionado of Prawns

Texas

Moves
04 Jun 18
1 edit

In case it matters - judgment is specific to salvation. Degrees of punishment and reward are something else.

edit: Just trying to help, but if it goes like normal, I made matters worse. 😞

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
04 Jun 18

Originally posted by @eladar
Suzy really must love me!
And she really must hate me lol

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
04 Jun 18

I didn't "neglect" it. I only included what was necessary to show that Jesus will judge who will live which was in direct response to your request.

And then Jesus fully explains what He'd been saying:

John 5
25“Truly, truly, I say to you, an hour is coming and now is, when the dead will hear the voice of the Son of God, and those who hear will liv ...[text shortened]... ds to a resurrection of life, those who committed the evil deeds to a resurrection of judgment".
You understand actions and deeds are a consequence of one’s heart? You remember the two different trees and the different fruit each produces? You remember Jesus saying that actions proceed from the heart and that the Lord looks on the heart?

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
04 Jun 18

Originally posted by @tom-wolsey
In case it matters - judgment is specific to salvation. Degrees of punishment and reward are something else.

edit: Just trying to help, but if it goes like normal, I made matters worse. 😞
Not sure I agree as neither the Judgment Seat of Christ for believers nor the Great White Throne Judgment for unbelievers has to do with salvation.

T

Moves
04 Jun 18

You understand actions and deeds are a consequence of one’s heart? You remember the two different trees and the different fruit each produces? You remember Jesus saying that actions proceed from the heart and that the Lord looks on the heart?
You continue to evade the issue:
I know. And I'm saying that it seems presumptuous for any of them think that they are in a position to judge themselves as being saved.

Especially with Jesus saying that He will judge. Evidently you believe that individuals are able to judge themselves as well as Jesus is able.

Plus I've come across quite a few - both Christian and non-Christian alike - whose self-image does not line up with reality.

**Show how it is not presumptuous for anyone to think that they are in a position to judge themselves as being saved given that Jesus said that He will judge. Or admit that it is.**

T

Moves
04 Jun 18

Originally posted by @ghost-of-a-duke
Do you believe there will be 'degrees of judgment?

'That servant who knows his master’s will and does not get ready or does not do what his master wants will be beaten with many blows. But the one who does not know and does things deserving punishment will be beaten with few blows. From everyone who has been given much, much will be demanded; and from the one who has been entrusted with much, much more will be asked.'

(Luke 12:47-48)
Is this a tangent or do you think it relevant to the issue at hand? If the latter, what?

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
04 Jun 18

You continue to evade the issue:
[quote]I know. And I'm saying that it seems presumptuous for any of them think that they are in a position to judge themselves as being saved.

Especially with Jesus saying that He will judge. Evidently you believe that individuals are able to judge themselves as well as Jesus is able.

Plus I've come across quite ...[text shortened]... judge themselves as being saved given that Jesus said that He will judge. Or admit that it is.**
We’ve moved past that, and I’ve answered your questions.

Do you plan to answer any of mine or shall we add them to the literally dozens of questions you refuse to answer because you lack the courage and integrity to not only stand up for what you believe but to even state what you believe?

Aficionado of Prawns

Texas

Moves
04 Jun 18

Not sure I agree as neither the Judgment Seat of Christ for believers nor the Great White Throne Judgment for unbelievers has to do with salvation.
Yep, I made it worse. Thank you for the correction. I guess I was going with personal usage of judgment as relates to justification.

T

Moves
04 Jun 18
2 edits

We’ve moved past that, and I’ve answered your questions.

Do you plan to answer any of mine or shall we add them to the literally dozens of questions you refuse to answer because you lack the courage and integrity to not only stand up for what you believe but to even state what you believe?
Actually you've talked around the issue. If you don't want to directly address the issue, then just say so. That would be a lot better than falsely claiming that you have.

**Show how it is not presumptuous for anyone to think that they are in a position to judge themselves as being saved given that Jesus said that He will judge. Or admit that it is.**

Moves
04 Jun 18

Is this a tangent or do you think it relevant to the issue at hand? If the latter, what?
A relevant tangent. You posted, "those who did the good deeds to a resurrection of life, those who committed the evil deeds to a resurrection of judgment."

I was simply asking if you thought the resurrection of judgment had gradients. (And as an aside, why an all-loving deity would raise the dead merely to punish them. Why not just let them be? ).

T

Moves
04 Jun 18
1 edit

A relevant tangent. You posted, "those who did the good deeds to a resurrection of life, those who committed the evil deeds to a resurrection of judgment."

I was simply asking if you thought the resurrection of judgment had gradients. (And as an aside, why an all-loving deity would raise the dead merely to punish them. Why not just let them be? ).
Well, all tangents by definition have some degree of relevance, I guess. It's not a tangent that I have interest in pursuing. Perhaps someone else will.

Aficionado of Prawns

Texas

Moves
04 Jun 18

Makes no sense to punish a dead person. That's the thing with atheism. Inherently, it teaches that everything we can get away with in life, we will never have to pay for later.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
04 Jun 18

Actually you've talked around the issue. If you don't want to directly address the issue, then just say so. That would be a lot better than falsely claiming that you have.

I did answer that - because Jesus judges the actions/behavior in one’s life, not whether the actions/behavior took place.

And I think the Bible is clear that Jesus’ judgment of believers takes place at the Judgment Seat of Christ while the judgment of unbelievers takes place at the Great White Throne Judgment.