The Hagia Sophia

The Hagia Sophia

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

S. Korea

Moves
21 Sep 20

@fmf said
More furtive evasion.
LOL, are you accusing me of furtive evasion because I am not acknowledging your spurious speculation about my personal character..?

S. Korea

Moves
21 Sep 20

@fmf said
The ones on this thread that you are trying to blank out. I am not interested in you prattling on about architecture. The question of mine you are dodging is about spirituality and not the construction of buildings. But, post as you see fit.
You haven't been clear.

Are you referring to you asking me about how I felt about chattel slavery?

S. Korea

Moves
21 Sep 20

@fmf said
When you say "the news dropped", you do realize that "the news" was that a building which had been a mosque for hundreds and hundreds of years - and that had been a museum for a few decades - was reverting back to being a mosque, right? You are seriously wanting people to believe that you were so "personally insulted" that a "reaction clip for YouTube" might have served to make your apparent posturing seem more credible?
Leaving a lot out here, bud. ^^

S. Korea

Moves
21 Sep 20

@fmf said
What I think has been established is that your brand new religious zeal - as a new convert - has you "personally insulted" about what a building is used for in Istanbul, but not in any way by how long it took people from your religion to put a stop to slavery in your own country.

The use of buildings back in history can cause you "insult" while the use of Black people back in ...[text shortened]... ult".

This effect of religion on you is interesting to consider. This is the right forum for it.
OK, so FMF is suspicious about me because I don't post about African-American slaves in the Hagia Sophia thread.

Duly noted.

F

Moves
21 Sep 20

@philokalia said
LOL, are you accusing me of furtive evasion because I am not acknowledging your spurious speculation about my personal character..?
The topic is the psychological effect of newfound religion. It may be going over your head, and drawing attention to it may be making you uncomfortable, but it's not "spurious".

F

Moves
21 Sep 20
1 edit

@philokalia said
OK, so FMF is suspicious about me because I don't post about African-American slaves in the Hagia Sophia thread.
The issue is what your religion does and doesn't make you "personally insulted" by. What a government-owned building in Istanbul is used for. It gets you "personally insulted". That involves events that happened 560 years ago. The morality of slavery, by contrast, involving events only 160 or so years ago. Now... that does not get you "personally insulted". One presumably, in part anyway, has put this down to your brand new religion.

F

Moves
21 Sep 20

@philokalia said
You haven't been clear.

Are you referring to you asking me about how I felt about chattel slavery?
More dodging. It's been perfectly clear.

Run away, then.

S. Korea

Moves
21 Sep 20

@fmf said
The topic is the psychological effect of newfound religion. It may be going over your head, and drawing attention to it may be making you uncomfortable, but it's not "spurious".
Sounds like a great idea for a new thread if you have some paper or important information you would like to present.

S. Korea

Moves
21 Sep 20

@fmf said
The issue is what your religion does and doesn't make you "personally insulted" by. What a government-owned building in Istanbul is used for. It gets you "personally insulted". That involves events that happened 560 years ago. The morality of slavery, by contrast, involving events only 160 or so years ago. Now... that does not get you "personally insulted". One presumably, in part anyway, has put this down to your brand new religion.
Slavery is not occurring in America, my good man.

The Hagia Sophia, which is an extremely important site in Orthodoxy, what one might call a 'holy site,' continues to exist, and continues to be a source of controversy.

It has even inspired the Russians and Syrians to build a new Hagia Sophia.

The Syrian regime under President Bashar Al-Assad has announced that it will build a miniature replica of the Hagia Sophia, in opposition to the Turkish government’s reversion of the building from a museum into a mosque.

https://www.middleeastmonitor.com/20200728-syria-to-build-new-hagia-sophia-with-help-from-russia/

I think it's perfectly fine to care about this...

Especially in the 'Hagia Sophia' thread.

F

Moves
21 Sep 20

@philokalia said
I think it's perfectly fine to care about this...

Especially in the 'Hagia Sophia' thread.
Of course caring about it is fine. I started the thread for that very reason But that's not the issue. You didn't say you cared about it. You didn't say you were critical of it. You didn't say you were appalled by it. No. You literally said you were "personally insulted" by it. That's the issue. You have converted to a new religion and it seems to have had a psycholigical effect on you are desperately trying to deflect away from acknowledging it. This is the right forum and the right thread for this.

F

Moves
21 Sep 20

@philokalia said
Slavery is not occurring in America, my good man.
But a debate involving people who don't really want to address the moral dimensions of slavery, often because of their religious zealotry, IS occurring in America. Meanwhile, you get "personally insulted" about a building in Istanbul.

S. Korea

Moves
21 Sep 20

@fmf said
But a debate involving people who don't really want to address the moral dimensions of slavery, often because of their religious zealotry, IS occurring in America. Meanwhile, you get "personally insulted" about a building in Istanbul.
BLM is a discussion about slavery?

News to me.

S. Korea

Moves
21 Sep 20

@fmf said
Of course caring about it is fine. I started the thread for that very reason But that's not the issue. You didn't say you cared about it. You didn't say you were critical of it. You didn't say you were appalled by it. No. You literally said you were "personally insulted" by it. That's the issue. You have converted to a new religion and it seems to have had a psycholigical effect ...[text shortened]... trying to deflect away from acknowledging it. This is the right forum and the right thread for this.
Oh, I would've thought saying 'personally insulted' and 'appalled' are not incredibly different. Since I am part of a pretty small minority, though, it feels more personal.

Had no idea that my word choice would be put under a microscope in this thread -- what a grievous blunder on my part 😆

Tell me more, Doc.

S. Korea

Moves
21 Sep 20

Isn't Ghost of a Duke a psychologist?

He should come here and diagnose us.

F

Moves
21 Sep 20
1 edit

@fmf said
Meanwhile, you get "personally insulted" about a building in Istanbul.

And isn't this just identity politics at its most contrived? A few years ago you weren't an Orthodox Christian yet. And now here you are, with your new brand identity expressed in terms of personal feelings of being insulted by events affecting members of your new religion.