The Gospel of Jesus vs The Gospel of Paul

The Gospel of Jesus vs The Gospel of Paul

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
07 Feb 18
6 edits

So the folly of this thread is the theory that Christ's preaching is somehow VS what the Apostle Paul preached.

ThinkofOne has two problems as far as my experience with him:

1.) What Christ preached means his restricted, cherry picked, selective, bias laden version of Christ's preaching. (Some words prior to His death, nothing after resurrection).

2.) He is not familiar with what Paul preached. I don't think he reads much about it.

It is a combination of prejudicial bias plus ignorance.

Prejudicial bias - this is signaled by his anti supernatural attitude expressed in the words "Jesus as He walked on earth."

Ignorance - I think ThingofOne has taken in a concept that all Paul taught was Justification by Faith.

In the latter instance I never have gotten the impression that ToO really reads for himself the epistles of Paul. Rather he observes perhaps a Reformed Protestant emphasis on Justification (as if Romans only four chapters rather than sixteen), and ridiculously blames this neglect on Paul.

The plea he makes to "C'mon jaywill" seems designed to give the portray that I only need to be just a wee little bit more reasonable and I will see things his way. Not much of a change has to be made, just a little bit of reasonableness and his heretical concepts will be as plain as day to me.

I have asked him to specify what Jesus taught that we could not find in the preaching and teaching of Paul.

Did you see any examples yet? I didn't.

S. Korea

Moves
08 Feb 18

Originally posted by @fmf
[quote]If you are not talking about my character when you refer to things like my supposed lack of...

[b]integrity, courage, honesty, boldness, honour, bravery, worth, inventiveness, creativity, smartness, praiseworthiness
etc.

[gosh, you mentioned a lot of character attributes in a small amount of text]

...then what are you referring to?

And ...[text shortened]... e what was what with your list of abstract nouns/character flaws ~ followed by you disappearing.[/b]
I think that this has been edited. Where is the original post?

F

Moves
08 Feb 18
1 edit

Originally posted by @jacob-verville
I think that this has been edited. Where is the original post?
The words [regarding my supposed lack of] integrity, courage, honesty, boldness, honour, bravery, worth, inventiveness, creativity, smartness, praiseworthiness are compiled from several of your posts reacting to my ideas about the actual source of human conjecture about supernatural phenomena. My ideas seemed to render you chip-splittingly apoplectic, spewing ad hominems, rather than inclined to discuss anything.

S. Korea

Moves
14 Feb 18

[b]Then what is your notion of a soul or spirit?

I think as humans ~ whether we be theists or atheists ~ we are endowed with a capacity for projecting ourselves in abstract ways and also we are affected and influenced and shaped by the abstract projections of other people.

Added to this, we clearly have individual spirits ~ perhaps the same thing tha ...[text shortened]... I think this 12 minute answer addresses your question 'What is your notion of a soul or spirit?'[/b]
Why do you call it a spirit and not a psyche, though?

And how can an abstract relationship actually be considered a part of you? Its simply something that you have interacted with.

It's merely a collection of memories within your brain.

At most you can say it influenced your habits.

F

Moves
14 Feb 18

Originally posted by @philokalia
Why do you call it a spirit and not a psyche, though?
I contend that it is the only kind of "spirit" that exists. Speculation about a supernatural "spirit" is simply the "psyche", as you put it, trying to make sense of being conscious of itself, something facilitated by our capacity for abstraction, itself a function of our each and every unique human spirit. Speculation about a supernatural "spirit" does not conjure up an actual supernatural "spirit".

F

Moves
14 Feb 18

And how can an abstract relationship actually be considered a part of you?
Because it is completely unique to each person and irreplicable.

F

Moves
14 Feb 18

There's probably a reason - rooted in your religious beliefs perhaps - that makes you feel the need to insert the word "merely" into this studiously unenthusiastic reiteration of the absolutely wonderous thing that I described.

F

Moves
14 Feb 18

At most you can say it influenced your habits.
Habits. Actions. Hopes. Plans. Decisions. Emotions. Religious beliefs/materialism. Moral sensibilities.The list goes on and on.

"Merely a collection of memories" that "influences your habits" is "merely" your disappointingly lacklustre way of describing the unique "spirit" that constitutes our individual and unique personhoods ~ that you might call our "souls" ~ billions of which yearn for everlasting life and flock to all manner of religions that offer the certainty that such an endless existence actually exists.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
14 Feb 18
1 edit

Habits. Actions. Hopes. Plans. Decisions. Emotions. Religious beliefs/materialism. Moral sensibilities.The list goes on and on.

"Merely a collection of memories" that "influences your habits" is "merely" your disappointingly lacklustre way of describing the unique "spirit" that constitutes our individual and unique personhoods ~ that you might call our "sou ...[text shortened]... all manner of religions that offer the certainty that such an endless existence actually exists.
Where did/does what you identify as the human spirit come from?

F

Moves
14 Feb 18

Originally posted by @romans1009
Where did/does what you identify as the human spirit come from?
The nature of the human spirit is ~at least in the hypothesis I am putting forward ~ as I have already explained. The speculation that it must necessarily "come from" something or somewhere or someone is your prerogative. What I have described doesn't need to "come from" anyone except the parents that created each and every one of us.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
14 Feb 18

The nature of the human spirit is ~at least in the hypothesis I am putting forward ~ as I have already explained. The speculation that it must necessarily "come from" something or somewhere or someone is your prerogative. What I have described doesn't need to "come from" anyone except the parents that created each and every one of us.
That’s a long way of saying you have no idea.

Do you think what you are identifying as a spirit is restricted to humans or do animals also have it?

BTW, the Bible, unless I’m mistaken, identifies two spirits - the human spirit that everyone has and the Holy Spirit who indwells Christians upon their acceptance of Christ.

Moves
14 Feb 18

Who do you think created each and every one of us?

F

Moves
14 Feb 18

That’s a long way of saying you have no idea.
Not at all. I am saying that your question is one for you to ask - and answer how you see fit - if you feel the need to. I have given you my answer as to where I think we "come from".

F

Moves
14 Feb 18

Do you think what you are identifying as a spirit is restricted to humans or do animals also have it?
Humans.

F

Moves
14 Feb 18

BTW, the Bible, unless I’m mistaken, identifies two spirits - the human spirit that everyone has and the Holy Spirit who indwells Christians upon their acceptance of Christ.
Thanks for this information.