The Genesis Theory

The Genesis Theory

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

W
Angler

River City

Moves
11 Aug 15
2 edits

Originally posted by KellyJay
I've always viewed Genesis as a historical statement that must either be accepted on its face or rejected through one's faith. I never thought of it as a theory.
I think that it stands better as a mythical statement than a historical. Do not misunderstand me, however. In no sense does the term myth imply that something is untrue. The truth of myth is deep psychologically, but it differs from the truth of history. The reading of myth must be sensitive to metaphor and all orders of tropes, as well as to underlying meaning.

The myth of the fall, for example, is a true memory of the Neolithic Revolution. Here's an interesting reading of science and Biblical text: http://stephenshenfield.net/themes/prehistory/15-driven-from-eden-reassessing-the-neolithic-revolution.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
12 Aug 15

I've always viewed Genesis as a historical statement that must either be accepted on its
face or rejected through one's faith. I never thought of it as a theory.
I agree that Genesis was not written as a theory, but theories are popular with the scientific crowd in today's world. Therefore, some people have come up with the Genesis Theory to counter the Evolution Theory of explanation to attempt to fill in what Genesis does not tell us.

W
Angler

River City

Moves
12 Aug 15

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
12 Aug 15

Originally posted by RJHinds
I agree that Genesis was not written as a theory, but theories are popular with the scientific crowd in today's world. Therefore, some people have come up with the Genesis Theory to counter the Evolution Theory of explanation to attempt to fill in what Genesis does not tell us.
Of course it wasn't theory, it was mythology. DUH.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
12 Aug 15

Originally posted by Wulebgr
I think that it stands better as a mythical statement than a historical. Do not misunderstand me, however. In no sense does the term myth imply that something is untrue. The truth of myth is deep psychologically, but it differs from the truth of history. The reading of myth must be sensitive to metaphor and all orders of tropes, as well as to underlyi ...[text shortened]... stephenshenfield.net/themes/prehistory/15-driven-from-eden-reassessing-the-neolithic-revolution.
I got an error on your link.

W
Angler

River City

Moves
13 Aug 15

I got an error on your link.
So did I when I copied the terminal punctuation of the sentence as if it were part of the url. Delete that and the link works.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
13 Aug 15

So did I when I copied the terminal punctuation of the sentence as if it were part of the url. Delete that and the link works.
Why should we look at your links when you refuse to look at ours?

W
Angler

River City

Moves
13 Aug 15

Originally posted by RJHinds
Why should we look at your links when you refuse to look at ours?
When did I say that I won't look a links?

Never.

I said, "I won't watch videos." Give me something to read. It wastes less time.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
13 Aug 15

When did I say that I won't look a links?

Never.

I said, "I won't watch videos." Give me something to read. It wastes less time.
However, you put a video up for nobody to watch? Seems strange to me.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
13 Aug 15

I'll check it out when I have time, little busy now.