the flood.

the flood.

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

s
Kichigai!

Osaka

Moves
15 Jun 06

Originally posted by beerbrewer
So why did you cite it as an example, then?
I have not made up my mind. It's a plausible ancestor for modern birds. Even if I'm wrong, and the precursor was something like Sinosauropteryx it wouldn't really matter, in fact, it'd probably strengthen the case for evolution.

s
Kichigai!

Osaka

Moves
15 Jun 06

Originally posted by 7ate9
you haven't answered my question on what % is water that comes out a volcanoe.

it isn't just magma that comes out a volcanoe. either you have an average figure or you don't?
He did. He said 4 - 6 %. just when you put a percent sign and a right bracket together it comes up like this 😵

Anyhoo, it's not a huge amount. Why are you so concerned about this water anyway?

s
Kichigai!

Osaka

Moves
15 Jun 06

a good experiement to try would be to fence off every race around earth and let them all breed with each other. maybe we will end up with a monkey.
Why would you expect this to happen? We're a different species!

Jew.

Moves
15 Jun 06

Jew.

Moves
15 Jun 06

Jew.

Moves
15 Jun 06

X
Cancerous Bus Crash

p^2.sin(phi)

Moves
15 Jun 06

Let's do some math.

The surface area of the Earth is around 5.1*10^14 square metres. In the Bible it says the waters reached a depth of 15 cubits (6.858 metres) above the mountain tops (Genesis 7:20). So that gives us the volume of an outer shell of water. Now let's think about how much water is needed inside this shell to make up for areas which aren't mountain tops. Let's assume that the mountains talked about only refers to Mount Ararat (5,165 metres). And let's assume that, on average, the surface of material (land or mean sea level) is one quarter this high (it's actually much much less that that but I'm just running ball park figures and this high estimate gives a low volume, remember 2/3rds of the world is sea).
That's an extra 5.1*10^14 * 1291.25 cubic metres.

So a conservative estimate of the amount of water required of 6.62*10^17 cubic metres of water.

So how does that compare to what we know of the water supply of the world?
http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0004674.html

Excluding Ocean Water (as our water cover needs the oceans to remain where they are) we have 3.69*10^16 cubic metres of water at our disposal. And that's counting every bit of water closer than Mars. And yet somehow we need 20x more water.

Who would have guessed.

X
Cancerous Bus Crash

p^2.sin(phi)

Moves
15 Jun 06

so, can the atmospheric changes have an effect on dating systems 60,000 yrs or less?
No it cannot. As both I and SNZ said, no chemical conditions can affect radioactive decay rates. It's as simple as that.

Jew.

Moves
15 Jun 06

X
Cancerous Bus Crash

p^2.sin(phi)

Moves
15 Jun 06

not all dating systems are found through radioactive decay rates.
All the ones we're talking about are. I can't think of any dating systems that are based on chemical equations though probably for the very fact they can be affected by chemical conditions.

Jew.

Moves
15 Jun 06

X
Cancerous Bus Crash

p^2.sin(phi)

Moves
15 Jun 06

so ALL dating systems used are based on radioactive decay rates?
Ah now I see where you're going with your feigned stupidity. How can they possibly be known if there is no other method for verifying them?

Well first they are internally consistant, dates using different radiotopes agree. That takes care of random error (They don't work at all).

As for systematic error (They are all wrong by X amount), we can also compare radio dates for various events (worldwide events) to dates obtained by icecores and a few other assorted methods.

Jew.

Moves
15 Jun 06
1 edit

Jew.

Moves
15 Jun 06

X
Cancerous Bus Crash

p^2.sin(phi)

Moves
15 Jun 06

this doesn't mean much.

we ALL KNOW you find shells on mountains. the earth definitely was not what we see today.
Where has this stupendous amount of water gone?