1. Standard membermobster kitty
    mafia chief
    the safe house
    Moves
    20 Nov '19 13:19
    so after the dove came back with the olive branch and the "water receded", where did all the water that covered the earth ( enough to swamp cover mount ararat ) go ?

and how did the fresh water fish survive the salted ocean, or did the salt water fish survive the unsalted world fresh water flood.

( i know....it was another "miracle"....always the fall back position when reason hits you in the face like a brick ).
  2. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    20 Nov '19 13:24
    @mister-moggy said
    so after the dove came back with the olive branch and the "water receded", where did all the water that covered the earth ( enough to swamp cover mount ararat ) go ?

and how did the fresh water fish survive the salted ocean, or did the salt water fish survive the unsalted world fresh water flood.

( i know....it was another "miracle"....always the fall back position when reason hits you in the face like a brick ).
    Assume a world without mountains. Just more or less flat lands, and assume further water beyond the startsphere where it can't rain down easily (would be a Handy Shield against Radiation from space). Imagine the axis of roatation perpenticualr to the plane of the Orbit around the sun.

Now imagine the tilting of the axis of roataion. The water comes down, Continents break apart and make a fast journey hitting each other, rising mountains (one of which is the one the ark is Landing upon...

Just one possibility to ponder
  3. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    20 Nov '19 13:26
    @mister-moggy said

you can also take the solution of Umberto Eco's hereo in the book he wrote About it (The Island of the previous day)
  4. Standard membermobster kitty
    mafia chief
    the safe house
    Moves
    20 Nov '19 13:272 edits
    @Ponderable

i was thinking that it could be something more than "what is possible, mythical or magical". if this is the best beyond "miracle" then put out the light for you do not need it as the darkness is already over your eyes.

not being personally critical of yourself, just your proposal.

-----
    and if a book tells the tale we already have the Holy Bible don't we.....or we could use the book fide is publishing for me where it is "possible" that my games are put up against magnusson's and fide points out that given enough time it would have been possible for me to win one.

anything is "possible"

reason shows us what is "probable".
  5. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    20 Nov '19 13:451 edit
    @mister-moggy said

While trying to wrap your mind about a world wide flood may be hard it is even harder to wrap your mind around there not being a massive flood in the region.

After all, from all cultures in the region there is a flood story passed down. In addition, to merely know what a flood is you need a point of reference.

So the question is not, was their a flood? The only question becomes, how big?
  6. Standard membermobster kitty
    mafia chief
    the safe house
    Moves
    20 Nov '19 13:51
    @whodey

the Christian and Babylonian religions report it as world wide ( and the Babylonian story predates the Old Testament ( jews living under Babylonian rule wrote out the oral history centuries after Moses into what we know as the Old Testament which is nominally attributed to Moses ).
  7. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    20 Nov '19 14:17
    @mister-moggy said
    @whodey

the Christian and Babylonian religions report it as world wide ( and the Babylonian story predates the Old Testament ( jews living under Babylonian rule wrote out the oral history centuries after Moses into what we know as the Old Testament which is nominally attributed to Moses ).
    I reckon they used satellite images to confirm it was the entire world.
  8. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    20 Nov '19 15:02
    @mister-moggy

Good move.
    Get this one under your belt first before you try to tackle Jesus the reformer of Judaism and Paul the inventor of the Christian church.
  9. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    20 Nov '19 15:12
    @sonship said
    @mister-moggy

Good move.
    Get this one under your belt first before you try to tackle Jesus the reformer of Judaism and Paul the inventor of the Christian church.
    Why not address the OP instead of "bashing" the poster?
  10. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    20 Nov '19 15:19
    @mister-moggy said
    @whodey

In the beginning, the world was covered with water; it was how it all started. It receded once before, and the salt and freshwater we're sorted out then too, when God setup the world for it’s soon to be inhabitants on land and water.
  11. Standard memberbunnyknight
    bunny knight
    planet Earth
    Moves
    20 Nov '19 15:20
    @mister-moggy
    Years ago scientists discovered that the Black sea was once just a small isolated lake blocked by ice. When this ice melted, the water from Mediterranean poured in, flooding thousands of settlements and villages. It was so immense that the survivors must have thought it was the end of the world. Of course, certain "people in the know" knew this was going to happen simply by noticing the melting ice dam.
  12. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    20 Nov '19 16:08
    @bunnyknight said
    @mister-moggy
    Years ago scientists discovered that the Black sea was once just a small isolated lake blocked by ice. When this ice melted, the water from Mediterranean poured in, flooding thousands of settlements and villages. It was so immense that the survivors must have thought it was the end of the world. Of course, certain "people in the know" knew this was going to happen simply by noticing the melting ice dam.
    Well it served them right for driving those darned SUV's and no carbon tax.

I mean, what did they expect?
  13. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    20 Nov '19 16:09
    @kellyjay said
    In the beginning, the world was covered with water; it was how it all started. It receded once before, and the salt and freshwater we're sorted out then too, when God setup the world for it’s soon to be inhabitants on land and water.
    In Genesis we have a very brief glimpse at our beginnings, the vast amount of which we simply assume.
  14. Subscribermedullah
    Lover of History
    Northants, England
    Moves
    20 Nov '19 21:08
    @mister-moggy said

I loved that question - brilliant

If the deluge (which is recorded in many ancient writings and tablets all over the world took place) was fresh water then I would guess that fresh water fish were towards the top of the seas and salt water (heavier) at the bottom ? Would that work ?
  15. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    22 Nov '19 18:31
    @mister-moggy said

Do you know how much water is in the ground?

Genesis 7:11
    In the six hundredth year of Noah's life, in the second month, the seventeenth day of the month, the same day were all the fountains of the great deep broken up, and the windows of heaven were opened. (Italics mine)

97% of the water on earth is in the oceans. Would 3% of all the water be enough to cause the mountains to be under 20 feet of water?

If the earth rocked on its axis, the oceans would slosh over the land.

I don't think it too difficult for God to flood the earth.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree