The evolution of the Coca Cola can

The evolution of the Coca Cola can

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
16 May 16

Originally posted by twhitehead
There would be logic at the start (and thus not nothing). And if logic was there at the start, it couldn't be 'derived from' anything as it is already there.
So what evidence do you have that it was there at the start?

Cape Town

Moves
16 May 16

Originally posted by Fetchmyjunk
So what evidence do you have that it was there at the start?
The fact that it is eternal in nature. Also the fact that it could not be created without it already existing. That would be illogical.

K

Germany

Moves
16 May 16

[b]What if there was just logic as a brute fact and no God? Why would that not be possible?

If there were no God, what would there be at the start? Nothing? How is logic derived from nothing?[/b]
Logic isn't derived "from nothing," it is derived from human language and reasoning.

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
16 May 16

Originally posted by KazetNagorra
Logic isn't derived "from nothing," it is derived from human language and reasoning.
Which ultimately came from nothing?

Moves
16 May 16
2 edits

There are two options:

Either something has always existed.
OR
Something came into existence from nothing.

If you claim that a god is the thing that has always existed then I will say that absent any evidence the universe is simpler*
and thus much more probable as the thing that has always existed.

If you claim that a god is the thing that came into existence from nothing then I will say absent any evidence the universe
is simpler* and thus much more probable as the thing that came into existence from nothing.

In either case, it's much more likely that the origins of the universe are natural and not the supernatural interventions of
a god. As the god is always vastly less likely a-priori.

The thing to grasp is "relative probability"... Because what matters is not how improbable an explanation is, but what it's
relative probability is compared to all the possible alternatives.
An explanation can be astronomically unlikely, but if all the alternatives are vastly less likely than that then that explanation is
still the most likely to be true.

So what you have to demonstrate is not that "the universe always existing" or "the universe coming from nothing" is
improbable... But that it is less probable than your alternative.

Unfortunately for you your** god concept is pretty much infinitely complex and thus infinitely improbable... Which means
it's always going to be just about the least probable 'explanation' a-priori as compared to any alternative.

*Indeed for many depictions of a universe creating god it's infinitely simpler

**Fetchmyjunk's

K

Germany

Moves
16 May 16

Which ultimately came from nothing?
It evolved.

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
17 May 16

It evolved.
From nothing?

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
17 May 16
1 edit

Originally posted by googlefudge
There are two options:

Either something has always existed.
OR
Something came into existence from nothing.

If you claim that a god is the thing that has always existed then I will say that absent any evidence the universe is simpler*
and thus much more probable as the thing that has always existed.

If you claim that a god is the thing that c ...[text shortened]... ed for many depictions of a universe creating god it's infinitely simpler

**Fetchmyjunk's[/i]
If you claim that a god is the thing that came into existence from nothing then I will say absent any evidence the universe
is simpler* and thus much more probable as the thing that came into existence from nothing.

So you are happy to believe the universe came into being without a cause and from nothing based upon no evidence whatsoever?

Cape Town

Moves
17 May 16

So you are happy to believe the universe came into being without a cause and from nothing based upon no evidence whatsoever?
I, for one, do not believe that. I am happy to accept that there is no evidence whatsoever so I withhold judgement and belief on the matter. I am willing to admit I don't know. I must also point out that nobody else knows either.

K

Germany

Moves
17 May 16

From nothing?
From earlier lifeforms.

Moves
17 May 16

[b]If you claim that a god is the thing that came into existence from nothing then I will say absent any evidence the universe

So you are happy to believe the universe came into being without a cause and from nothing based upon no evidence whatsoever?[/b]
I am prepared to believe that it's possible such a thing may have occurred given the
evidence that we do have.

However I don't know if the universe has a beginning or is eternal, and so don't have a
belief either way.

As twhitehead said, I don't know is the correct answer when you don't know, and nobody
else does either.

GENS UNA SUMUS

Moves
17 May 16

“No one infers a god from the simple, from the known, from what is understood, but from the complex, from the unknown, and incomprehensible. Our ignorance is God; what we know is science.”
― Robert G. Ingersoll, On the Gods and Other Essays

“People think that epilepsy is divine simply because they don't have any idea what causes epilepsy. But I believe that someday we will understand what causes epilepsy, and at that moment, we will cease to believe that it's divine. And so it is with everything in the universe”
― Hippocrates

“If the ignorance of nature gave birth to such a variety of gods, the knowledge of this nature is calculated to destroy them.”
― Paul Henri Thiry d'Holbach, System of Nature

“After all, is our idea of God anything more than personified incomprehensibility?
{Said in a letter to Voltaire}” ― Georg Christoph Lichtenberg

“To base the unexplainabilty and the immense wonder of nature onto an other miracle (God) is unnecessary and not acceptable for any serious thinker.
[Diary entry, 1971]” ― Fritz Zwicky

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
17 May 16

Discovered from human language and reasoning.

The existence of logic is not dependent on homo sapiens.

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
17 May 16

Any one theory against another surely doesn't make one happy?

Knowing the truth would.
Whatever that truth was.

K

Germany

Moves
17 May 16

Originally posted by wolfgang59
Discovered from human language and reasoning.

The existence of logic is not dependent on homo sapiens.
Actually it is -- logic, like mathematics, is entirely man-made.

Of course, that doesn't mean that a hypothetical other species might not also have developed similar tools or will at some point in the future, but neither logic nor mathematics are empirical fact.