the catholic church is shameful

the catholic church is shameful

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moves
30 Jun 05
1 edit

d

Riding the Atom Bomb

Moves
30 Jun 05

Originally posted by catfoodtim
i know this subject is old hat but after reading this article:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/religion/Story/0,2763,1518316,00.html

in the guardian today i am interested in how catholics feel about child abuse by priests and the church's subsequent response over the years.

when i first moved to dublin i was incensed to hear an open letter from the ...[text shortened]... sing my soul by refusing to attend church services because of sins perpetrated by its spokesmen?
these men are answerable to God. what i cant get my head round is that there are so many cases!! Do they take up this job so they can get close to those that are vulnerable??
If they believed what they taught then how do they think theyre going to dodge hell?

Moves
01 Jul 05

h

Cosmos

Moves
01 Jul 05

The Catholic church promotes the unnecessary spread of painful and deadly sexually transmitted diseases such as AIDS by banning the use of contraceptives.

The Catholic church makes couples suffer by forcing them to have unwanted children (denying abortion).

The Catholic church victimises homosexuals by labelling them freaks, going against God's will.

The Catholic church has for centuries treated females like second class citizens by denying them the right to reach positions of power within its organisation.

Why should the Catholic church deprive the children of suffering?

BWA Soldier

Tha Brotha Hood

Moves
01 Jul 05

Originally posted by howardgee
The Catholic church promotes the unnecessary spread of painful and deadly sexually transmitted diseases such as AIDS by banning the use of contraceptives.

The Catholic church makes couples suffer by forcing them to have unwanted children (denying abortion).

The Catholic church victimises homosexuals by labelling them freaks, going against God's will ...[text shortened]... ithin its organisation.

Why should the Catholic church deprive the children of suffering?
Don't leave the persecution of scientists out of this litany.

JP

R.I.P.

Moves
01 Jul 05

To be fair I don't think that you can just say this about the catholic church, there is plenty of abuse going in other christian organisations, other religions & various cults. In fact any position of authority will be attractive to these sort of people.

h

Cosmos

Moves
01 Jul 05

Originally posted by Jay Peatea
To be fair I don't think that you can just say this about the catholic church, there is plenty of abuse going in other christian organisations, other religions & various cults. In fact any position of authority will be attractive to these sort of people.
Yes, you are right:

ALL religions are very nasty, persecutory institutions, causing endless suffering to believers and non-believers alike.

l

London

Moves
03 Jul 05

Originally posted by catfoodtim
i know this subject is old hat but after reading this article:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/religion/Story/0,2763,1518316,00.html

in the guardian today i am interested in how catholics feel about child abuse by priests and the church's subsequent response over the years.

Catholics feel the same way about child abuse as any average person - sick.

The Church's subsequent response has not been praiseworthy over the years, but it has been working hard to ameliorate the situation over the past few.

when i first moved to dublin i was incensed to hear an open letter from the bishop of dublin advising the press to "get in perspective" the actual number of abusive priests in the church. i wonder how many of their victims can get something like this in perspective?

It's one thing for the media to publicise news of crimes that happen within the community. Quite another to use that publicity to further an agenda against an organisation.

to me this was an abhorrent and insensitive statement for a church leader to make and i vowed never to set foot in a catholic church again.

May I ask what made you join the Church (if you are Catholic) in the first place?

so would you catholics think i am jeapardising my soul by refusing to attend church services because of sins perpetrated by its spokesmen?

Quite simply - yes.

c
Islamofascists Suck!

Macon, Georgia, CSA

Moves
03 Jul 05

Yes, you are right:

ALL religions are very nasty, persecutory institutions, causing endless suffering to believers and non-believers alike.
Not all Churches cause suffering for their parishners...I am a member of the Church of Christ where Christ's teachings and way of living are taught, but the truth about homosexuality is also taught according to the Bible; however, we are not taught to hate gays but to love them as humans despite the sin of homosexuality...love the sinner-not the sin.

h

Cosmos

Moves
04 Jul 05

Originally posted by chancremechanic
Not all Churches cause suffering for their parishners...I am a member of the Church of Christ where Christ's teachings and way of living are taught, but the truth about homosexuality is also taught according to the Bible; however, we are not taught to hate gays but to love them as humans despite the sin of homosexuality...love the sinner-not the sin.
How very magnanimous of your church to see gays as sinners without actually harming them! (Sarcastic LOL).

Homosexuality is a naturally occurring phenomena in the animal kingdom in general (Which God created According to you lot!).

It is not morally wrong. No innocent person gets hurt (except a few bottoms perhaps!)

At the very least your church labels homosexuals as sinners, when they are law abiding members of society.

c
Islamofascists Suck!

Macon, Georgia, CSA

Moves
04 Jul 05

How very magnanimous of your church to see gays as sinners without actually harming them! (Sarcastic LOL).

Homosexuality is a naturally occurring phenomena in the animal kingdom in general (Which God created According to you lot!).

It is not morally wrong. No innocent person gets hurt (except a few bottoms perhaps!)

At the very least your church labels homosexuals as sinners, when they are law abiding members of society.
There is no room for debate here because your head is on bass-ackwards in terms of what you believe in or don't believe in....male animals humping in the wild is instinctual or due to frustration and connot be compared to human males buggering each other as they have a conscience and know right from wrong. There is NO biological reason for two human males, or females for that matter, to mate with each other as they cannot reproduce, which is the real reason we are here on earth in the first place, right Mr. evolution?

I, as well as you, are a sinner and law-abiding citizen-hopefully in your case-so what does that have to do with the price of tea in China?

n
Lost

Copenhagen

Moves
04 Jul 05

There is no room for debate here because your head is on bass-ackwards in terms of what you believe in or don't believe in....male animals humping in the wild is instinctual or due to frustration and connot be compared to human males buggering each other as they have a conscience and know right from wrong. There is NO biological reason for two huma ...[text shortened]... ding citizen-hopefully in your case-so what does that have to do with the price of tea in China?
Once again a creationist fail to accept the scientific facts, oh well, nothing new here:
http://www.talkorigins.org/indexcc/CB/CB403.html

X
Cancerous Bus Crash

p^2.sin(phi)

Moves
04 Jul 05

There is no room for debate here because your head is on bass-ackwards in terms of what you believe in or don't believe in....male animals humping in the wild is instinctual or due to frustration and connot be compared to human males buggering each other as they have a conscience and know right from wrong. There is NO biological reason for two huma ...[text shortened]... ding citizen-hopefully in your case-so what does that have to do with the price of tea in China?
Dear chancremechanic,

Everytime you open your mouth bigotry comes streaming out. Please stop.

Sincerly,
Everyone.

Moves
04 Jul 05
1 edit

Moves
04 Jul 05