The book of Acts

The book of Acts

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
21 Dec 10
1 edit

Originally posted by menace71
Why could he not be both?
Well according to the scripture there at 1 Peter he wasn't both or else that scripture is wrong.

Here is another scripture that shows spirits can be of flesh but still are spirits. This was the case of angels forsaking their natural positon and came to earth. The had to have real bodies in the sense of being able to have offspring which turned out to be hybrids.

Genesis 6:2 (New International Version, ©2010)
2 the sons of God saw that the daughters of humans were beautiful, and they married any of them they chose.

This ability is beyond our grasp but it is in the Bible as fact.

Here is another example.

Genesis 18:1-8 (New International Version, ©2010)

Genesis 18
The Three Visitors
1 The LORD appeared to Abraham near the great trees of Mamre while he was sitting at the entrance to his tent in the heat of the day. 2 Abraham looked up and saw three men standing nearby. When he saw them, he hurried from the entrance of his tent to meet them and bowed low to the ground.
3 He said, “If I have found favor in your eyes, my lord,[a] do not pass your servant by. 4 Let a little water be brought, and then you may all wash your feet and rest under this tree. 5 Let me get you something to eat, so you can be refreshed and then go on your way—now that you have come to your servant.”
“Very well,” they answered, “do as you say.”
6 So Abraham hurried into the tent to Sarah. “Quick,” he said, “get three seahs[b] of the finest flour and knead it and bake some bread.”
7 Then he ran to the herd and selected a choice, tender calf and gave it to a servant, who hurried to prepare it. 8 He then brought some curds and milk and the calf that had been prepared, and set these before them. While they ate, he stood near them under a tree.

These were also angels that materialized even to the point of eating food as we would and had their feet washed.

Here is another:

Joshua 5:13-15 (New International Version, ©2010)

The Fall of Jericho
13 Now when Joshua was near Jericho, he looked up and saw a man standing in front of him with a drawn sword in his hand. Joshua went up to him and asked, “Are you for us or for our enemies?”
14 “Neither,” he replied, “but as commander of the army of the LORD I have now come.” Then Joshua fell facedown to the ground in reverence, and asked him, “What message does my Lord[a] have for his servant?”
15 The commander of the LORD’s army replied, “Take off your sandals, for the place where you are standing is holy.” And Joshua did so.

Here Joshua said he saw a man which would mean someone in the flesh even though he was a spirit.

Here is one to think about:

Hebrews 13:2 (New International Version, ©2010)
2 Do not forget to show hospitality to strangers, for by so doing some people have shown hospitality to angels without knowing it.

They appear so humanlike we would not be able to tell the differance.
So the point is when Jesus apperared after his resurrection and when he wanted he would appear to be in the flesh.

Can't win a game of

38N Lat X 121W Lon

Moves
21 Dec 10

Then Jesus is a liar!! For why would He tell his followers that He was not a spirit? That He had flesh and bone unlike Spirits? You can't have it both ways. The verse says what it says Vs 39 was so clear that it makes what your stating seem nuts.

I'm being facetious with you by the way.

Manny

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
21 Dec 10

Then Jesus is a liar!! For why would He tell his followers that He was not a spirit? That He had flesh and bone unlike Spirits? You can't have it both ways. The verse says what it says Vs 39 was so clear that it makes what your stating seem nuts.

I'm being facetious with you by the way.

Manny
I didn't write the scripture in 1 Pet. It says he was raised a spirit. Not my words....

Can't win a game of

38N Lat X 121W Lon

Moves
21 Dec 10

Do you understand then that (we) you have an apparent contradiction in the scriptures? Jesus own words were you see that I have flesh and bone and Jesus contrast this against spirit which had none. So either Jesus was lying or maybe there is some other explanation. I think Christ took on humanity for eternity. He will forever be the God-man. He is seen with the wounds in the book of Revelation.

Manny

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
21 Dec 10

Do you understand then that (we) you have an apparent contradiction in the scriptures? Jesus own words were you see that I have flesh and bone and Jesus contrast this against spirit which had none. So either Jesus was lying or maybe there is some other explanation. I think Christ took on humanity for eternity. He will forever be the God-man. He is seen with the wounds in the book of Revelation.

Manny
So do you not agree then with this scripture either at:

1 Corinthians 15:50 (New International Version, ©2010)

50 I declare to you, brothers and sisters, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God, nor does the perishable inherit the imperishable.

To me it seems Manny that there are a few scriptures in your Bible you don't agree with. I've quoted a few others in the past on other subjects and you tend to doubt them and then go on to something else. That's confusing to me and it seems your taking the teachings of man or a religion instead of what the Bible clearly says on a subject.
So in your opinion if Jesus is still flesh how does he survive in the void of space or heaven where only spirit beings live?

Can't win a game of

38N Lat X 121W Lon

Moves
22 Dec 10

Originally posted by galveston75
So do you not agree then with this scripture either at:

1 Corinthians 15:50 (New International Version, ©2010)

50 I declare to you, brothers and sisters, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God, nor does the perishable inherit the imperishable.

To me it seems Manny that there are a few scriptures in your Bible you don't agree ...[text shortened]... still flesh how does he survive in the void of space or heaven where only spirit beings live?
First of all have you ever been to heaven? How do you know then? The question is why did Jesus say see that I have flesh and bone then? Did He deceive his followers?
Then there is a contradiction or a misunderstanding.

Manny

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
22 Dec 10
1 edit

First of all have you ever been to heaven? How do you know then? The question is why did Jesus say see that I have flesh and bone then? Did He deceive his followers?
Then there is a contradiction or a misunderstanding.

Manny
Well no and neither have you. I'm not getting what your not getting here from all the evidence in the Bible that spirit beings such as Jesus and others have materialized as humans in the past.
Read again Heb 13:2 and grasp what this saying. It's saying that a spirit being or angel could look and feel so humanlike, we would not be able to see or feel the differance at times.
As I stated it is hard for us to understand how they do it or what happens to the flesh they seem to produce once they go back to spirit form. I have no clue and the Bible gives no clue other then it just goes away.
And again the Bible does not contradict itself ever. So...it must be a misunderstanding as you say.
But as I said earlier the reason Jesus had to produce what they saw as flesh and blood and bone was to prove he was truely resurrected. If he had just appeared as some hazy, unclear, floating spirit looking mist vision, would that have proved to his followers that he had really been resurrected? Would that have convienced you if you were there?
Thomas needed to stick his hand in Jesus's side to believe. A question here is if Jesus were resurrected in the flesh we understand and still had this peircing in his side which helped promote his death, would he still be able to walk around as a human with this wound still open and bleeding as it did right before his death? Probably not as no human could. So again this would point to Jesus being a spirit but able to produce something like this wound temporarily as it was needed to show that in fact he was Jesus.
And one more point about this, if you read about Jesus and the different times he appeared to his followers, everytime he did they did not recognize him. He changed his outward appearance every time. If he were truely flesh and blood as we are, how could he do that?

Can't win a game of

38N Lat X 121W Lon

Moves
23 Dec 10

He is God 🙂