The biggest misconception in Christendom

The biggest misconception in Christendom

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
06 Feb 22

@divegeester said
There is a scripture in my OP, go and read it.

The view of the Devil in hell which I call out is the “misconception” I’m talking about.

What is it with you and Josephw, can’t you read?
I did read comments in your OP, and again, it appears you are clueless.

Moves
06 Feb 22

@kellyjay said
I did read comments in your OP, and again, it appears you are clueless.
Power-rebuttal!

Moves
06 Feb 22

@josephw said
"The same shall drink of the wine of the wrath of God, which is poured out without mixture into the cup of his indignation; and he shall be tormented with fire and brimstone in the presence of the holy angels, and in the presence of the Lamb:"

In order for you to hold to your "version of Jesus" you would have to not believe what that verse is saying.

Explain that!
Firing your best “wrath of god” texts at me doesn’t change the fact of the OP.

Where or not I personally accept the scripture or not is irrelevant to the fact in the OP.

Moves
06 Feb 22

@josephw said
Look who's talking.
Me! I’m talking 😁

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
06 Feb 22

@divegeester said
Power-rebuttal!
Rebuttal? I don't know anyone who thinks the ruler of hell resides over it in authority as if it were a kingdom to rule, except maybe you; it is a lake of eternal fire there are no rulers or servants in it, only those who choose evil over righteousness that gets cast into it. You only spoke about things you have no clue about, making mention of misconceptions about beliefs you don't share, and you challenged hellers to speak up about; what is there to refute?

A fun title

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
06 Feb 22

@divegeester said
Me! I’m talking 😁
I can see you! 😃

A fun title

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
06 Feb 22

@divegeester said
Firing your best “wrath of god” texts at me doesn’t change the fact of the OP.

Where or not I personally accept the scripture or not is irrelevant to the fact in the OP.
I didn't think you could explain that.

How can you? The OP is a fallacious argument anyway.

Moves
06 Feb 22

@kellyjay said
Rebuttal? I don't know anyone who thinks the ruler of hell resides over it in authority as if it were a kingdom to rule, except maybe you; it is a lake of eternal fire there are no rulers or servants in it, only those who choose evil over righteousness that gets cast into it. You only spoke about things you have no clue about, making mention of misconceptions about beliefs you don't share, and you challenged hellers to speak up about; what is there to refute?
You seem upset KellyJay, and it’s affecting your thinking. I know exactly what I’m talking about, perhaps you should do some research on popular myths about hell.

Popular misconceptions of the Devil being the ruler stem back hundreds of years and were possibly brought into focus by Dante’s Inferno. If you asked 10 people in the street most would answer the devil rules in hell. It’s a myth, a misconception.

My OP puts this myth to the sword by highlighting the scripture in Revelation which tells us that Jesus, or a version of Jesus is overseeing in hell with his angels, supervising non Christians being cast into the lake of fire to be burnt alive for eternity, along with Satan and his minions.

Moves
06 Feb 22

@josephw said
I didn't think you could explain that.

How can you? The OP is a fallacious argument anyway.
Well why don’t stop being silly and explain to the forum what in my OP is “fallacious”?

Moves
06 Feb 22
1 edit

Here’s the OP again for those struggling to be specific about what is “fallacious” about it, or what is “classless” about it.

The biggest misconception in Christendom:

Is the popular imagery of the devil, Satan being in change of hell and the burning alive of the billions of people in the fiery lakes…standing there with his horns, pointy tail and pitchfork jabbing at the poor lost souls who the lovely Jesus died for.

But hang on a minute … it isn’t the Devil in charge of hell, it’s a version of Jesus!

”The same shall drink of the wine of the wrath of God, which is poured out without mixture into the cup of his indignation; and he shall be tormented with fire and brimstone in the presence of the holy angels, and in the presence of the Lamb.
Rev 14:10

Now I don’t see Christendom correcting this misconception of poor old Satan being totally misrepresented, no the established church is quite happy to deflect some of the flack for this horrendous apocalyptic doomsday onto Olde Nick.

Prove me wrong you hellers.

Edit: nod to Ghost of a Duke for re-floating my favourite anit-hell scripture.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
06 Feb 22

@divegeester said
You seem upset KellyJay, and it’s affecting your thinking. I know exactly what I’m talking about, perhaps you should do some research on popular myths about hell.

Popular misconceptions of the Devil being the ruler stem back hundreds of years and were possibly brought into focus by Dante’s Inferno. If you asked 10 people in the street most would answer the devil rules ...[text shortened]... s being cast into the lake of fire to be burnt alive for eternity, along with Satan and his minions.
I'm less concerned about Dante's Inferno than I am Star Wars the force. It is the Biblical text that matters, not a work of fiction. You want to draw upon works of fiction to bolster your point of view, then realize you are drawing on works of fiction to bolster your point of view. Any Biblical text that speaks about who has who thrown into the lake of fire from all of the books of the Bible should be looked at. Even if you avoid Revelation, you have no way around Jesus being Lord and judgment day.

A fun title

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
06 Feb 22

@divegeester said
Well why don’t stop being silly and explain to the forum what in my OP is “fallacious”?
"The same shall drink of the wine of the wrath of God, which is poured out without mixture into the cup of his indignation; and he shall be tormented with fire and brimstone in the presence of the holy angels, and in the presence of the Lamb:"

For one thing, please explain how the verse above supports the idea you posited about Satan being in charge of hell.

He isn't, and no one posting in this forum is as idiotic as you think they are to believe that nonsense. Everyone knows Satan isn't red, doesn't have horns and a spearhead tail, even though there are some morons that have never read the Bible and think the devil looks like the image on a can of spam.

So what's with the verse? What are you trying to prove?

Moves
07 Feb 22

@kellyjay said
I'm less concerned about Dante's Inferno than I am Star Wars the force. It is the Biblical text that matters, not a work of fiction. You want to draw upon works of fiction to bolster your point of view, then realize you are drawing on works of fiction to bolster your point of view. Any Biblical text that speaks about who has who thrown into the lake of fire from all of the b ...[text shortened]... e looked at. Even if you avoid Revelation, you have no way around Jesus being Lord and judgment day.
I’m not asking you to be concerned about Dante’s inferno, I try to help you understand where the popular misconception that the devil is in charge of hell may come from.

You seem to be wanting to pretend that you don’t understand this so you don’t have address my OP or back down from your your typically oblique and waffley non sequitur retorts.

Moves
07 Feb 22

@josephw said

For one thing, please explain how the verse above supports the idea you posited about Satan being in charge of hell.

He isn't, a ...[text shortened]... il looks like the image on a can of spam.

So what's with the verse? What are you trying to prove?
Another non sequitur.

As I’ve said in the OP (which you clearly haven’t read) and several times since, the Devil being in change of hell is a popular misconception.

The church has allowed this misconception to become cemented in popular culture over the decades rather than highlight this scripture which indicates that it is a version of Jesus who is clearly overseeing the eternal torture of the billions of no Christians.

Moves
07 Feb 22

Am I the only one here who thinks KellyJay and Jospehw are being purposefully obtuse, pretending to not understand in order to avoid having to addrsss the point in the OP?