The Bible is the Claim NOT the Evidence.

The Bible is the Claim NOT the Evidence.

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
11 Feb 13

Originally posted by sonship
[quote] One of the greatest features of science is that it works as an algorithmic process of belief revision. No scientific belief being held can be said to be absolutely true, no matter how convincing it is. This is how science compensates for the small amount of faith it requires. All scientific beliefs are wrapped in a protective condition: A scientific ...[text shortened]... ge or at least change in recovery back to basics from widespread gradual departure.
YOU SAY,

People of faith historically are shown to sometimes subject to [B]changes. [/B]

THEN YOU SAY,

The passing away of the original apostles signaled some need to [B]evolve. [/B]

Did you mean CHANGE or do you believe things EVOLVE?

T

Moves
11 Feb 13

However, I do believe that, by and large, the words that were attributed to Him while he walked the Earth are reasonably sound and reasonably coherent within themselves and that many of them fly in the face of the mythology and beliefs that have been created around Him since His death.

This view still leaves quite a lot of ambiguity left ...[text shortened]... he preaching by some detractors of [b]"another Jesus"
.[/b]
Did you lose track of the reason that I posted that quote from an old thread?

You had gone on a rant:
Are you going to come out clearly and definitely and tell everyone which parts of the New Testament you base your assessment of what Jesus taught on?

In the past you were extremely slippery and secretive about this.

I recall you keeping these issues very close to the vest like a skillful poker player keeping his hand hidden.

I recall you always concealing what you regard as authoritative teaching of Christ.

The quote I provided was one of many similar quotes. The purpose of providing that quote was to demonstrate that you were attempting to unfairly paint a skewed portrait of me.

Did you quote and attack other things I said from that thread in order to deflect from that fact?

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
12 Feb 13
1 edit

Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
Did you lose track of the reason that I posted that quote from an old thread?

You had gone on a rant:
[quote]Are you going to come out clearly and definitely and tell everyone which parts of the New Testament you base your assessment of what Jesus taught on?

In the past [b]you were extremely slippery and secretive
about this.

I recall y ...[text shortened]... id you quote and attack other things I said from that thread in order to deflect from that fact?
The quote I provided was one of many similar quotes. The purpose of providing that quote was to demonstrate that you were attempting to unfairly paint a skewed portrait of me.

Did you quote and attack other things I said from that thread in order to deflect from that fact?
[/b]

You linked me to a post. I did not re-read the entire discussion. But I recall well my experience with discussing these matters with you. Have your methods changed substantially? Maybe I can see for myself.

You speak of when Jesus died. You do not speak of His resurrection.
Did Jesus believe and teach of His death and resurrection ?

I do not ask you if you believe in His resurrection.
I ask you do you believe that the teaching from Jesus of His resurrection is authentic?

Ie. "And He began to teach them that the Son of Man must suffer many things and be rejected by the elders and the chief priests and the scribes and be killed and after three days rise." (Mark 8:31)

"For He was teaching His disciples, And He said to them, The Son of Man is being delivered into the hands of men, and they will kill Him; and when He has been killed, after three days He will rise.

But they did not understand this saying and were afraid to question Him." (Mark 9:31,32)

" And He said to them ... how it is written of the Son of Man that He should suffer many things and be counted as nothing?" (Mark 9:12)

The question is if the death and rising again from the dead is part of the authentic teaching of Jesus ?

HoH
Thug

Playing with matches

Moves
12 Feb 13

Originally posted by Suzianne
Hey! I'm unflinching in my own beliefs... what's so bad about that?*

* I know I'm right too! Hah!
Long have I resisted saying, "Being a woman I'm not surprised you don't understand. Perhaps RJHinds can explain it to you." But, I've been trying to turn over a new leaf.

T

Moves
12 Feb 13

You linked me to a post. I did not re-read the entire ...[text shortened]... s if the death and rising again from the dead is part of the authentic teaching of Jesus ?[/b]
You seem to have missed the point again which was that the quote substantiates the fact that I was NOT "extremely slippery and secretive", "keeping [those] issues very close to the vest" or "always concealing" regarding "which parts of the New Testament [I ] base [my] assessment of what Jesus taught on" as you tried to portay me.

The only reason I provided a link was so that you could verify the source of the quote.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
12 Feb 13
1 edit

Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
You seem to have missed the point again which was that the quote substantiates the fact that I was NOT "extremely slippery and secretive", "keeping [those] issues very close to the vest" or "always concealing" regarding "which parts of the New Testament [I ] base [my] assessment of what Jesus taught on" as you tried to portay me.

The only reason I provided a link was so that you could verify the source of the quote.
I think that actions speak louder than words in this matter.

Is the death and resurrection a part of your authentic teachings of Jesus ?
Demonstrate your transparency on this matter.

Now if you start going off about my ego then I'll suspect you're evading and falling back on tried and true debating techniques you've used in the past.

If you give me a straightforward answer then perhaps I'll offer some apology for the use of words "slippery" or "secretive". But if you further evade this question, I'll just say "Hmmmm" and leave it at that.

T

Moves
12 Feb 13

I think that actions speak louder than words in this matter.

Is the death and resurrection a part of your authentic teachings of Jesus ?
Demonstrate your transparency on this matter.

Now if you start going off about my ego then I'll suspect you're evading and falling back on tried and true debating techniques you've used in the past.

If you ...[text shortened]... But if you further evade this question, I'll just say "Hmmmm" and leave it at that.
You seriously still can't understand the point?

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
12 Feb 13
2 edits

Originally posted by RJHinds
YOU SAY,

People of faith historically are shown to sometimes subject to [B]changes. [/B]

THEN YOU SAY,

The passing away of the original apostles signaled some need to [B]evolve. [/B]

Did you mean CHANGE or do you believe things EVOLVE?
Don't be hung up on the word "evolve" if that is your concern.

Change, evolve, adjust ... etc. For example, the need to decide on the canonical books as a permanent record of apostolic teaching arose from the departure of all of the original 12 apostles.