"The Bible" is an idol used to control people.

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
13 Sep 12

Originally posted by VoidSpirit
you will find enlightenment only when you are ready to discard the physical and mental idols of your religion.
Wrong. What you are saying, in essence, is "you will find enlightenment only when you discard your religion". We don't buy it, so stop it.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
13 Sep 12

the first step in the cure is to recognize that you idolize it.

it shouldn't amaze you too much. the book is a guide and it tells us what to look for in a christian. however, you've missed the main point why some (including myself) declare that someone is not a christian. it is done to banish the arrogance of your beliefs and force a reexamination o ...[text shortened]... ristian, i mean that in the full sense. i'm convinced that he's a charlatan, a pretender.
He may be a little over-anxious in his faith, but that is all.

"however, you've missed the main point why some (including myself) declare that someone is not a christian. it is done to banish the arrogance of your beliefs and force a reexamination of your 'faith.' "

You would have us believe that our religion is false and should be abandoned. Again, I say we do not buy into that, and you cannot get us to agree to that. You may as well be talking to the wind.

V

Windsor, Ontario

Moves
14 Sep 12

Originally posted by Suzianne
He may be a little over-anxious in his faith, but that is all.

[b]"however, you've missed the main point why some (including myself) declare that someone is not a christian. it is done to banish the arrogance of your beliefs and force a reexamination of your 'faith.' "

You would have us believe that our religion is false and should be abandoned. ...[text shortened]... into that, and you cannot get us to agree to that. You may as well be talking to the wind.[/b]
that your religion will be abandoned at some time in the future is a certainty. it will go the way of all religions; replaced and forgotten, discussed only as the myths of the ancient past as we do now with the religions that came before.

how we get there and what it is replaced with is yet uncertain. that is what we are attempting to shape. what individual christians such as yourself choose to believe or not is irrelevant in the grander plan. it is enough that the seeds are planted and watered.

T

Moves
14 Sep 12

Originally posted by RJHinds
Jesus may have spoken many languages for all you know. You are just speaking out of your arse like Ace Ventura. 😏

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DrRE1LDY_U
I note RJH that you rarely, almost never respond very rationally or logically to respectful arguments and pleas for "open seeing" put to you by me and other non-Christians, even if they are affirming the good stuff in your faith, quite strongly, as I do here.

You appear to just abuse in such interchanges and have nothing to offer in response. I believe this is because you are afraid to examine your own rigidity of belief, believing wrongly that somehow your faith will crumble. I have been there and done that. It will be a bit of a personal crisis, if ever you can face these fears. Others have crossed that scary looking bridge before and not fallen off, particularly when there are others on the other side waiting to help.

You can even remain a caring, logical Bible loving (not worshipping) Christian, but you will be free of idolatry and fear, and actually find yourself leaning on 'God' much more than a conditioned book.

Rational caring theists have a way of seeing that is greatly helpful to millions. But the irrational fundamentalist, unquestioning bowing to any ancient set of literature is not, and is harmful, violence-provoking IDOLATRY. This commences with personal abuse, and something Jesus of Nazareth, whom you praise as the "Prince of Peace" would never countenance. It achieves nothing and shows the person's rigid irrational stance is without defense. You abuse, because in your heart you know that.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
14 Sep 12
1 edit

Originally posted by Taoman
I note RJH that you rarely, almost never respond very rationally or logically to respectful arguments and pleas for "open seeing" put to you by me and other non-Christians, even if they are affirming the good stuff in your faith, quite strongly, as I do here.

You appear to just abuse in such interchanges and have nothing to offer in response. I believe th gid irrational stance is without defense. You abuse, because in your heart you know that.
What do you mean by abuse? I just tell it like I see it. No need to hold back is there? You do not hold back on your false claims of idolatry. I am just pointing out that you are wrong. There is no need for any respectful arguments when I know the truth and you do not. I am not even going to comment about your other nonsense. 😏

HalleluYah !!! Praise the Lord! Holy! Holy! Holy!

T

Moves
14 Sep 12

What do you mean by abuse? I just tell it like I see it. No need to hold back is there? You do not hold back on your false claims of idolatry. I am just pointing out that you are wrong. There is no need for any respectful arguments when I know the truth and you do not. I am not even going to comment about your other nonsense. 😏

HalleluYah !!! Praise the Lord! Holy! Holy! Holy!
Well, we need not continue I guess, as you appear to know everything. You must attend to yourself, for I can offer nothing more at the moment. Be at peace RJH.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
14 Sep 12

The collection of historical writings of the Middle East over some thousands of years, known as "the Bible" has been turned into an idol.
What is an idol? Something physical made to be the equivalent of a god, that has powers of that god and is worshipped just like the god. It is unquestionable like the god. Anyone dealing with that physical object poorly, ...[text shortened]... f context and saying its "God's Word", so bow down and obey the idol folks - or else!
I agree that to some, the bible can be an idol. Someone can love the literature, the history, etc., more than God Himself. But it is unfair to class every one under that idea. To fall in love with the bible apart from having a genuine relationship with God and His son Jesus. is indeed idolatry...

V

Windsor, Ontario

Moves
14 Sep 12

Originally posted by checkbaiter
I agree that to some, the bible can be an idol. Someone can love the literature, the history, etc., more than God Himself. But it is unfair to class every one under that idea. To fall in love with the bible apart from having a genuine relationship with God and His son Jesus. is indeed idolatry...
taoman has since clarified his position on this.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
15 Sep 12

But he is still just as WRONG!

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
15 Sep 12

Sorry,I see it now...I didn't read every post....I mostly agree with him, religion is a man made form of worship, sometimes not knowing what they worship...true worshppers have died to self and serve the Lord Jesus Christ.

T

Moves
15 Sep 12

Originally posted by checkbaiter
I hope that I haven't done that. If you have not read my apology to the unfortunately too strong title to this thread, there is reason for you to think that.

I hope my other posts here make it clear that its not the Bible (or other sacred books) that is the target here or the Christian faith. In fact, Christian faith is undermined by excess elevation and "intellectual freezing" of its spiritual source.
That diminishes it by distracting away from the heart's relation with the "Most High", and replacing that with a closed and rigid attention to particular human interpretations of the Christian (or Jewish or Islamic) scriptures.

The "Holy Spirit" of the Christian faith, an aspect of the divine in their path is surely involved in anyone's ultimate response to the scriptures, hopefully in its best outcome, a Jesus-like living, rather than a "Pharisaical"* legalistic approach that deadens the dynamic of the spirit within.

(*It also appears there were even then Pharisees that were more open than others. Paul of Tarsus was one. They have been left with some "bad press" due to some of excessive legalistic approaches of others, using that to oppose Jesus of Nazareth and John the Baptist and their more open dynamic message)

T

Moves
15 Sep 12

[b]But he is still just as WRONG![/b]
Attend to the echo RJH, attend to the echo. The Spirit is full of openness.

V

Windsor, Ontario

Moves
15 Sep 12

Attend to the echo RJH, attend to the echo. The Spirit is full of openness.
the spirit he attends is just full of holes.

s
Aficionado of Prawns

Not of this World

Moves
15 Sep 12
2 edits

you cannot use a blanket statement like "we christians" to describe the standard of not worshiping the bible. first, you're not a christian, but even if you were, there certainly exist christian groups who do idolize particular translations (kjv for instance) of the bible.
VS, I am taken back by your claim that RJHinds is not a Christian. By what grounds do you stake your claim, and--being outside the Christian family--what makes you an expert on what it is to be Christian, thus giving you the apparent right to judge who is and isn't Christian?

Curious and maybe others can answer this: Has VS ever rebuked a Christian for judging someone?

These are not attacks and I'm not upset. These are not leading questions; they are serious questions that I would very much appreciate an answer to.

s
Aficionado of Prawns

Not of this World

Moves
15 Sep 12
2 edits

that your religion will be abandoned at some time in the future is a certainty. it will go the way of all religions; replaced and forgotten, discussed only as the myths of the ancient past as we do now with the religions that came before.
The fact that we are even discussing Christianity in this forum (and all over the world) is clear evidence that your claim is totally outrageous. Christianity has been under full, relentless attack for over 2,000 years and it has not weakened, but strengthened in numbers.

You seem to have a regular issue of confusing what you want to be true, with actual facts. As I said before, if you want to be taken seriously (and maybe you don't, which is ok) you should preface your opinions accordingly with "In my opinion," "I believe," or "I think," etc.