The Arrogance of Theism and Atheism

The Arrogance of Theism and Atheism

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

rc

Moves
09 May 13
2 edits

Originally posted by Proper Knob
I'm saying that i find it beyond the realms of fantasy, implausible in the extreme and an insult to mine, and every other sentient human being on this planets, intelligence. That you are claiming, at the age of 44, to have formed no beliefs, at all, with regard to fairies, goblins, unicorns, elfs, griffins, Santa Claus and any other mythical creature I can think of.
an insult? why should my non belief or otherwise be an insult to you or all other sentient human beings on the planet?

Moves
09 May 13

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
dude as the article points out, debates with regard to the existence or non existence of God are futile. If you are willing to keep your belief within the realms of a subjective belief then fine, if you are offering evidence to substantiate your belief then fine, as soon as you make a truth claim, without substantiating evidence, whether theist or a ...[text shortened]... questioning Gods existence or non existence, its a question of what seems more plausible to us.
what would it take from god for you to believe in him 100%?

rc

Moves
09 May 13

Originally posted by stellspalfie
what would it take from god for you to believe in him 100%?
I do believe in my God one hundred percent but subjective belief and objective proof are not one and the same.

Moves
09 May 13

I do believe in my God one hundred percent but subjective belief and objective proof are not one and the same.
no, you said there is a possibility that god doesnt exist. the cats out of the bag now robbie. the best you can do is 99.9r

O

Moves
09 May 13

Surely the atheistic position with regard to the existence of a god is result of religious doctrines.If we lived in a society where a god was not required by anybody, the scientific method would still continue quite happily .I think the assertion that there is a god is an addition to early thinking and post dates the process of survival.If you wish to change something and replace it,do you not think the burden of proof is on you?

rc

Moves
09 May 13

Originally posted by OdBod
Surely the atheistic position with regard to the existence of a god is result of religious doctrines.If we lived in a society where a god was not required by anybody, the scientific method would still continue quite happily .I think the assertion that there is a god is an addition to early thinking and post dates the process of survival.If you wish to change something and replace it,do you not think the burden of proof is on you?
the atheistic position with regard to the existence of God is a result of religious doctrines?

can you demonstrate what religious doctrines have led you to adopt atheism?

rc

Moves
09 May 13

Originally posted by stellspalfie
no, you said there is a possibility that god doesnt exist. the cats out of the bag now robbie. the best you can do is 99.9r
yes but i did not say that I harbour the possibility, i merely acknowledged that it existed. No cats and no bags.

O

Moves
09 May 13

the atheistic position with regard to the existence of God is a result of religious doctrines?

can you demonstrate what religious doctrines have led you to adopt atheism?
In my opinion all religious organisations are political control structures with a supernatural component added in to give them legitimacy ,so take your pick.

rc

Moves
09 May 13

In my opinion all religious organisations are political control structures with a supernatural component added in to give them legitimacy ,so take your pick.
no why dont you tell me, I'm listening.

Cornovii

North of the Tamar

Moves
09 May 13

an insult? why should my non belief or otherwise be an insult to you or all other sentient human beings on the planet?
It's not your alleged non belief I find insulting, it's the claim you have no belief. Would you care to explain the contradiction between these two statements -

I have formed no beliefs as to the existence or non existence of fairies, unicorns, santa clause, elfs or any other creatures regarded as mythical.

and from a previous thread

yes i have a rational basis for denying the existence of Santa clause

O

Moves
09 May 13

no why dont you tell me, I'm listening.
As I said earlier you religious types wish to bring something new to the process of life so you must prove it's validity.Society does not need a god to function effectively .

rc

Moves
09 May 13
1 edit

Originally posted by Proper Knob
It's not your alleged non belief I find insulting, it's the claim you have no belief. Would you care to explain the contradiction between these two statements -

I have formed no beliefs as to the existence or non existence of fairies, unicorns,[b] santa clause, elfs or any other creatures regarded as mythical.

and from a previous ...[text shortened]... thread

yes i have a rational basis for denying the existence of Santa clause
[/b]
yes when i was a child i caught my parents putting out Christmas presents and food (in Scotland we give Santa milk and cake and a carrot for the reindeer), after this i suspected that Santa was not real, thus this forms a rational basis, i have of course not witnessed anything with regard to any other mythical creatures. To state that you find the assertion of non belief insulting is akin to me saying that i find your assertion in the non belief of God insulting. To insist that the entire community of sentient beings also are incensed is bordering on arrogance. If you dont find my non belief compelling, fine, but to go beyond that is to enter another realm.

You may exclude Santa clause from my list of mythical creatures.

rc

Moves
09 May 13
1 edit

As I said earlier you religious types wish to bring something new to the process of life so you must prove it's validity.Society does not need a god to function effectively .
whether society needs a God or not is not what I am asking, you have asserted that religious doctrine has caused you or has been a catalyst for adopting atheism, i simply would like evidence of what doctrines resulted in this adoption of atheism.

O

Moves
09 May 13

whether society needs a God or not is not what I am asking, you have asserted that religious doctrine has caused you or has been the catalyst for adopting atheism, i simply would like evidence of what doctrines resulted in this adoption of atheism.
In my opinion religious thinking creates a fixed intellectual position based on an absolute belief ,this I believe limits our potential .I therefore oppose any system which does not recognise it's own fallibility, and yes that includes my own.

Moves
09 May 13

yes but i did not say that I harbour the possibility, i merely acknowledged that it existed. No cats and no bags.
nope, it means you are not 100% sure.