The African Bishop of Hippo (VIS)

The African Bishop of Hippo (VIS)

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BWA Soldier

Tha Brotha Hood

Moves
10 Jan 08
1 edit

http://www.dw-world.de/dw/article/0,2144,2167735,00.html

Bottles of holy water and umbrellas with Benedict designs can help out believers stuck in bad weather. All of the 29 articles on sale at stands and online have been discussed together with the Regensburg diocese leaders.

http://www.global-sisterhood-network.org/content/view/1249/59/

The Catholic Church has taken lessons from FIFA in its marketing of the pope's visit to Germany. For €5, pilgrims can purchase a small bottle of holy water, also bearing a likeness of the pope, as well as an official logo

Outkast

With White Women

Moves
11 Jan 08

Originally posted by DoctorScribbles

Bottles of holy water and umbrellas with Benedict designs can help out believers stuck in bad weather. All of the 29 articles on sale at stands and online have been discussed together with the Regensburg diocese leaders.

http://www.global-sisterhood-network.org/content/vi ...[text shortened]... bottle of holy water, also bearing a likeness of the pope, as well as an official logo[/quote]
Doc, do you notice that no one will say a thing about solitication of said holy water or umbrellas in this thread, yet BWA continues to have to apologize for any said mention of our t-shirts and other apparrel?

Jesu wept.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
11 Jan 08

http://www.global-sisterhood-network.org/content/vi ...[text shortened]... bottle of holy water, also bearing a likeness of the pope, as well as an official logo[/quote]
Question: Did the vendors sell holy water, or rather, bottles for holy water?

BWA Soldier

Tha Brotha Hood

Moves
11 Jan 08

Originally posted by Conrau K
Question: Did the vendors sell holy water, or rather, bottles for holy water?
"Bottles of holy water"

"bottle of holy water"

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
11 Jan 08

"Bottles of holy water"

"bottle of holy water"
I don't suppose that you have an article which explains how the manufacture company, Sixsigma, managed to produce the holy water?

g

Moves
11 Jan 08

Or just stay home. Did Augustine of Hippo ever need to go on a world tour?
The world probably would have been immeasurably enriched if he had gone on a world tour.

BWA Soldier

Tha Brotha Hood

Moves
11 Jan 08

I don't suppose that you have an article which explains how the manufacture company, Sixsigma, managed to produce the holy water?
Are you suggesting that the Vatican sold bogus holy water?

p

tinyurl.com/ywohm

Moves
11 Jan 08

Originally posted by kirksey957
Doc, do you notice that no one will say a thing about solitication of said holy water or umbrellas in this thread, yet BWA continues to have to apologize for any said mention of our t-shirts and other apparrel?

Jesu wept.
Did you notice that no one in this thread has made any links to sites selling holy water or umbrellas, or suggesting buying them? In fact, this thread seems to be pointing quite the other way, and saying that there's something wrong with selling such things. Fascinating way to both plug your clothing line and make it look like everyone's picking on you. But I think that sound was Jesu burping, not weeping. He ate some garlic at the Last Supper and that stuff just really hangs on for days...

p

tinyurl.com/ywohm

Moves
11 Jan 08

Hmm, now I'm trying to imagine that...

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
11 Jan 08

Originally posted by pawnhandler
In fact, this thread seems to be pointing quite the other way, and saying that there's something wrong with selling such things.
It is wrong to sell holy water. To Catholics, it is the sin of simony. If the Pope really is selling holly water, then he is committing mortal sin. To non-Catholics, he is being a hypocrite.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
11 Jan 08

Originally posted by pawnhandler
Hmm, now I'm trying to imagine that...
Well, it is important to know whether the water was blest before being sold, or blest after. That is why I would like to see a description of what exactly is being sold.

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
11 Jan 08

Well, it is important to know whether the water was blest before being sold, or blest after. That is why I would like to see a description of what exactly is being sold.
Genius! The priest sells the ordinary water...

But he'll bless it for free.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
11 Jan 08
1 edit

Are you suggesting that the Vatican sold bogus holy water?
If the Vatican sold holy water, then yes, it was bogus.

It is thus unlawful to ... accept any payment whatever for holy oils, to sell blessed rosaries or crucifixes. Such objects lose, if sold, all the indulgences previously attached to them.

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/14001a.htm

In Catholic theology, any sacramental object sold in exchange for money immediately loses the sacramental nature invested in it.

That is why rosaries, crucifixes, holy cards, and holy water, are never blest before being sold. And Catholics are not permitted to sell these objects if he has blest them.

Consequently, I doubt that the Vatican, or the relevant Catholic diocese, has any involvement in this enterprise, at least in selling holy water. My suspicion is that bottles with normal water were sold, and the owners' had them blest by their parish priest at a later date.

BWA Soldier

Tha Brotha Hood

Moves
11 Jan 08

Originally posted by AThousandYoung

Just another instance of Simon Says.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
11 Jan 08

Originally posted by AThousandYoung

I expect that the cost is to cover the vials, as opposed to the water, which seem to have been manufactured at some expense.