That's the spirit!

That's the spirit!

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

S

Moves
02 Mar 05

So, we have a new forum...

Okay to kick us off, would anyone care to discuss the differences between having religion and having spirituality?

Lord

Sewers of Holland

Moves
02 Mar 05

Originally posted by Starrman

Okay to kick us off, would anyone care to discuss the differences between having religion and having spirituality?
Spirituality is basically getting drunk on heavy booze isn't it?

Anyway, I certainly hope some of the religious debating will move from the debates forum over to this one.

S

Moves
02 Mar 05

Originally posted by shavixmir

Anyway, I certainly hope some of the religious debating will move from the debates forum over to this one.

I wonder if Russ can cut and paste the threads in question....

M
the Mad

Jupiter

Moves
02 Mar 05

I wonder if Russ can cut and paste the threads in question....
I dont hear enough fervour in your voice...you are praying for russ to do this are you not? It would be a shame for these first few posts to turn away from the purpose for which the forum was created 😉

MÅ¥HÅRM

M
the Mad

Jupiter

Moves
02 Mar 05

One is an organised group form of the other...?

I would think spirituality sort of covers both, but that religion is any instance of someone not relying on their own self-judgement to provide spiritual guidance.

MÅ¥HÅRM

S

Moves
02 Mar 05

Originally posted by Mayharm
One is an organised group form of the other...?

I would think spirituality sort of covers both, but that religion is any instance of someone not relying on their own self-judgement to provide spiritual guidance.

MÅ¥HÅRM
So religion is being told what to do and spirituality is finding out what you're supposed to be doing? I guess that makes a certain sense, I know a lot of people who talk about spirituality and journey in the same sentence. Is religion then a destination as it were?

M
the Mad

Jupiter

Moves
02 Mar 05

So religion is being told what to do and spirituality is finding out what you're supposed to be doing? I guess that makes a certain sense, I know a lot of people who talk about spirituality and journey in the same sentence. Is religion then a destination as it were?
You being pesky deliberatly? 😠 <grumble>

No it's not about being told what to do, it's about where you seek your guidance from. It's the difference between being shown a way, and finding your own.

Buddhism (tibetan), for example, teaches that there are many ways of reaching enlightenment. Christianity teaches that there is but one way, through god (though they call it "state of grace" or something dont they?). You either choose to accept the "way" your creed provides or you dont, no one can tell you to do it.

MÅ¥HÅRM

k

Moves
02 Mar 05

I've always seen spirituality as feeling/communicating with divinity. This can be achieved through Religion. Religion is the organizing of people to try and achieve spirituality together.

Religions, as a public organization, will change over time (decades) to match social influences. Spirituality, as an individual affair, will change over time (years) to fit personal needs.

HoH
Thug

Playing with matches

Moves
02 Mar 05

Originally posted by shavixmir

I beg to differ... I frequently find religion at 3am after binge drinking. Worshipping the porcelain god.

S

Moves
02 Mar 05

You being pesky deliberatly? 😠 <grumble>

No it's not about being told what to do, it's about where you seek your guidance from. It's the difference between being shown [b]a
way, and finding your own.

Buddhism (tibetan), for example, teaches that there are many ways of reaching enlightenment. Christianity teaches that there is but one way, throu ...[text shortened]... ept the "way" your creed provides or you dont, no one can tell you to do it.

MÅ¥HÅRM[/b]
You're right, I was having a 'scooby-doo villain' moment. I could counter with the supression of free will as part of most religious indoctrination, but I shall refrain, I wanted to talk more about spirituality than religion. 🙂

Outkast

With White Women

Moves
02 Mar 05

The answer is simple. Religion is for those who fear hell. Spirituality is for those who have been there.

The Apologist

Moves
02 Mar 05

You're right, I was having a 'scooby-doo villain' moment. I could counter with the supression of free will as part of most religious indoctrination, but I shall refrain, I wanted to talk more about spirituality than religion. 🙂
Well, you did comment about it. And I have plenty of free will. More so than you, actually, since you are bound by sin.

The Apologist

Moves
02 Mar 05

Originally posted by kirksey957
The answer is simple. Religion is for those who fear hell. Spirituality is for those who have been there.
Guess what, kirk, I don't fear hell. That pretty much null and voids your theory, eh?

Spirituality is for aspiring actresses and college students. Religion is for people who realize that something can't come from nothing.

M
the Mad

Jupiter

Moves
02 Mar 05

Originally posted by Darfius
Spirituality is for aspiring actresses and college students. Religion is for people who realize that something can't come from nothing.
If, as I stated, spirituality is a self-guided path to enlightenment/grace/whatever you are implying there is no soul inherent inside us. Or to put it another way, we cant find god by ourselves, we have to be led, presumably by the church...

You dont happen to be a time traveller from before the dark ages do you?

MÅ¥HÅRM

The Apologist

Moves
02 Mar 05

If, as I stated, spirituality is a self-guided path to enlightenment/grace/whatever you are implying there is no soul inherent inside us. Or to put it another way, we cant find god by ourselves, we have to be led, presumably by the church...

You dont happen to be a time traveller from before the dark ages do you?

MÅ¥HÅRM
You don't need the church. You need God and the Bible.