Teaching Creationism is a crime.

Teaching Creationism is a crime.

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
24 Oct 13

Originally posted by Pianoman1
Well, it's puzzling. I think Religion is such a powerful force in the US with its massive evangelical ethos and social program that I can only assume there is a sort of suspension of belief.
What exactly is 'suspension of belief'

Nil desperandum

Seedy piano bar

Moves
24 Oct 13

Originally posted by Rajk999
What exactly is 'suspension of belief'
Sorry, typo, should read "suspension of disbelief" - the state of temporarily putting reason to one side.

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
24 Oct 13
1 edit

Sorry, typo, should read "suspension of [b]disbelief" - the state of temporarily putting reason to one side.[/b]
So the religious in the US put aside their ability to reason in order to carry on with their religious activity. Otherwise they are pretty normal. And that you say is the answer to the apparent puzzle.

I suggest that religion and economic success of a nation are not correlated. The fact is that there are religious nations that run the full spectrum of wealth. The poorest nations are often very religious. There seems to be also no reason to believe that religion or creationism causes kids and people to be ..

..abused, warped, denied of scientific empiricism, ... etc etc

Nil desperandum

Seedy piano bar

Moves
24 Oct 13

Originally posted by Rajk999
So the religious in the US put aside their ability to reason in order to carry on with their religious activity. Otherwise they are pretty normal. And that you say is the answer to the apparent puzzle.

I suggest that religion and economic success of a nation are not correlated. The fact is that there are religious nations that run the full spectrum of we ...[text shortened]... s and people to be ..

..abused, warped, denied of scientific empiricism, ... etc etc
Getting back to my original post - it is the Creationists, particularly the Young Earth Creationists I have a problem with. Teaching children the lie that the Earth is less than 10,000 years old and God created the Universe in 6 days is evil and stupid because it is a lie. You might as well teach children that the Earth is flat. No difference. I have no problem with theists. I am not a theist, nor am I an atheist.

Cape Town

Moves
24 Oct 13

Getting back to my original post - it is the Creationists, particularly the Young Earth Creationists I have a problem with. Teaching children the lie that the Earth is less than 10,000 years old and God created the Universe in 6 days is evil and stupid because it is a lie. You might as well teach children that the Earth is flat. No difference. I have no problem with theists. I am not a theist, nor am I an atheist.
So why do you not have a problem with teaching children that someone died and then rose from the dead, or that someone flew to heaven on a horse, or other such falsehoods? What is so specifically bad about the 10,000 year old earth story that you hate?

Nil desperandum

Seedy piano bar

Moves
24 Oct 13

Originally posted by twhitehead
So why do you not have a problem with teaching children that someone died and then rose from the dead, or that someone flew to heaven on a horse, or other such falsehoods? What is so specifically bad about the 10,000 year old earth story that you hate?
Because, distasteful as it to me, the story of Jesus is unproven - it COULD be true, whereas Creationism has been disproved by science.

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
24 Oct 13

Thank you, sonhouse. I am appalled at the figures you quote. Such deluded ignorance in the world's foremost economy is frightening.
OK. Time out. Yes, I agree that Young-Earth Creationism is scientifically ignorant. Yes, I am opposed to teaching it in schools. Etc.

However.

For the vast majority of us, it doesn't matter how old we believe the earth is. We're not biologists. My life would play out exactly the same whether the earth turned out to be 6000 or 4 billion years old. So would most people's.

Even the 'deluded' ones still believe the scientific principles they can see with their own eyes. And if they get into a field that requires better scientific thinking? They will either adapt or be cast aside as incompetent.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
24 Oct 13
1 edit

Because, distasteful as it to me, the story of Jesus is unproven - it COULD be true, whereas Creationism has been disproved by science.
Just so I know Creation has God speaking the universe into being, when the
stars were put into the sky they were seen as soon as he did it. So exactly
how can that be disproven? You know that God could not do that, how?

The best I can see that you have is another way it could have happen,
except you don't have another way it could have happen. You have said
that you don't know how or why it happen.
Kelly

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
24 Oct 13

To teach young children today that the world is less than 10,000 years old amounts to the most awful abuse. To warp young minds with the staggeringly ignorant dictum that faith is more important than evidence is more harmful than sexual abuse. To deny the youth of today access to scientific empiricism because it doesn't corroborate a fable written by a wan ...[text shortened]... love of knowledge. I believe the teaching of Creationism in schools to be a very serious crime.
Teaching kids only the evilution theory without the balance of the morality and ethical part associated with the creation theory is what is really child abuse and dangerous to society. As the word implies EVIL-lution is EVIL. Creationism should be taught in order NOT to abuse our kids with the EVIL in evilution.

I don't see any real harm that can be done by teaching creationism to kids, even if in the future we obtain real proof that creationism is false. I think it would be worse to not allow freedom of thought.

The Instructor

Z

Moves
24 Oct 13

Originally posted by Penguin
But if you have been taught from an early age that your god exists and is all powerful and you firmly believe that your god considers exchanging blood to be an abominable act, would it not be reasonable to refuse a blood transfusion for yourself or your children? If you allowed it you might commit yourself or them to an eternity of punishment. That they migh ...[text shortened]...
Children need to be taught how to think, [b]not
what to think.

-- Penguin.[/b]
that would be an excess and not moderation.

Z

Moves
24 Oct 13

Originally posted by twhitehead
I am struggling to see how you see the first sentence as moderation, but not the second. Is it because you think your belief in God is safe from scientific scrutiny?
moderate doesn't mean you are safe from scientific scrutiny. you are moderate, you are in the middle.

it is religion in moderation. not science in moderation.

Z

Moves
24 Oct 13

Originally posted by KellyJay
Just so I know Creation has God speaking the universe into being, when the
stars were put into the sky they were seen as soon as he did it. So exactly
how can that be disproven? You know that God could not do that, how?

The best I can see that you have is another way it could have happen,
except you don't have another way it could have happen. You have said
that you don't know how or why it happen.
Kelly
we know that they are thousands, millions of light years away. we know that by doing science. we see supernovas from thousands of light years away, so the universe is at least that old.

by your reasoning, last thursdayism has just as much right to be valid.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
24 Oct 13

Sorry, typo, should read "suspension of [b]disbelief" - the state of temporarily putting reason to one side.[/b]
What TEMPORARY? Sounds kind of permanent to me....

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
24 Oct 13

Originally posted by SwissGambit
OK. Time out. Yes, I agree that Young-Earth Creationism is scientifically ignorant. Yes, I am opposed to teaching it in schools. Etc.

However.

For the vast majority of us, it doesn't matter how old we believe the earth is. We're not biologists. My life would play out exactly the same whether the earth turned out to be 6000 or 4 billion years old. S ...[text shortened]... hat requires better scientific thinking? They will either adapt or be cast aside as incompetent.
Just because they believe the Earth to be 6000 years old is not the problem. The REAL problem is when MILLIONS of such people start forcing their crap on the educational system because almost half the US thinks like that. THAT is the problem.

The US educational system is in bad enough shape as it is, we don't need to add creationism in science classes to disrupt it even further, we could end up being around the neighborhood of Yemen in educational development.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
24 Oct 13

Originally posted by sonhouse
Just because they believe the Earth to be 6000 years old is not the problem. The REAL problem is when MILLIONS of such people start forcing their crap on the educational system because almost half the US thinks like that. THAT is the problem.

The US educational system is in bad enough shape as it is, we don't need to add creationism in science classes t ...[text shortened]... even further, we could end up being around the neighborhood of Yemen in educational development.
We need to introduce the controversy to allow for freedom of thought. It is bad to teach only EVIL in school.

The Instructor