Supernatural phenoma

Supernatural phenoma

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

g

Pepperland

Moves
29 Oct 09

what do atheists think about supernatural phenoma?

d

Moves
29 Oct 09

"Phenomena"

Like what exactly? Poltergeists and such?

g

Pepperland

Moves
29 Oct 09

Originally posted by darvlay
"Phenomena"

Like what exactly? Poltergeists and such?
yes.

d

Moves
29 Oct 09

Originally posted by generalissimo
yes.
For me personally, and I'm not an atheist, I'd have to see it to believe it.

Moves
29 Oct 09

My father was not an atheist but he said to me many times "Don't worry about dead people, it is the live ones you need to watch out for!"

I have to concur. I have never seen anything that couldn't be explained by some agency in the 'natural' world. Which is not to say that I am absolutely certain that angels aren't dancing on the surface on my computer screen right now.

What do monotheists think about those who have supernatural experiences with several gods? or with animal spirits? or with aliens? If I say that you are just projecting your grief when you experience a vision of your grandmother after her death and you object to that characterization then do you still retain the right to call your neighbor is crazy when he tells you he had a conversation with the Queen of Venus?

Ming the Merciless

Royal Oak, MI

Moves
29 Oct 09

The same as god. My level of belief equals the level of proof you can offer.

Moves
29 Oct 09

Ooh, ooh, ooh! Do you mean like this insightful warning about Halloween from the Christian Broadcasting Network?

"During this period demons are assigned against those who participate in the rituals and festivities. These demons are automatically drawn to the fetishes that open doors for them to come into the lives of human beings. For example, most of the candy sold during this season has been dedicated and prayed over by witches."

Does praying over candy pay well? Sounds like a pretty easy job! Do you get to sample your demon-filled (or is it nougat-filled) sweet morsels of Satan? Furthermore - why can't they pray the demons off the candy? Poor faith?

d

Moves
29 Oct 09

Originally posted by TerrierJack
Ooh, ooh, ooh! Do you mean like this insightful warning about Halloween from the Christian Broadcasting Network?

"During this period demons are assigned against those who participate in the rituals and festivities. These demons are automatically drawn to the fetishes that open doors for them to come into the lives of human beings. For example, most of ...[text shortened]... eet morsels of Satan? Furthermore - why can't they pray the demons off the candy? Poor faith?
Sweet merciful fate. Tell me you're making that up.

Moves
29 Oct 09

http://www.cbn.com/spirituallife/onlinediscipleship/halloween/halloween_danger_daniels.aspx

You can't make stuff like that up.

F

Moves
29 Oct 09

My definition of 'religious' people is that they believe in supernatural phenomena. If an ateist is without religion, he doesn't believe in any supernatural phenomena according to my definition.
That's my opinion in the matter.

Cape Town

Moves
30 Oct 09
1 edit

I have argued before that the word "supernatural" is little more than an attempt to confuse/misdirect or otherwise hide a problem.
If a phenomena exists then why label it 'supernatural'? Surely you cannot be saying that it violates the laws of physics as that is logically impossible (the laws of physics are defined as being inviolate).
So what does one mean?
It is often used to mean 'I make up the rules so don't question me', or even worse 'it doesn't have to make sense'.

s

England

Moves
30 Oct 09

think they watch too many spooky films,
Doubt even devil worshipers belive that one.
i BELIVE that when we worship jesus is with us and lisning, but draw the line at opening doors between worlds

g

Pepperland

Moves
30 Oct 09

Originally posted by rwingett
The same as god. My level of belief equals the level of proof you can offer.
suppose something happened to you and other people who were with you in that moment (like a ghost or poltergeist), and you couldn't explain it, would you change your views or would just think you've gone insane?

g

Pepperland

Moves
30 Oct 09

Originally posted by TerrierJack

"During this period demons are assigned against those who participate in the rituals and festivities. These demons are automatically drawn to the fetishes that open doors for them to come into the lives of human beings. For example, most of ...[text shortened]... eet morsels of Satan? Furthermore - why can't they pray the demons off the candy? Poor faith?
These demons are automatically drawn to the fetishes

LOL.

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
30 Oct 09

I reckon 'supernatural' is just part of 'natural'-so I have no problem