1. Pepperland
    Moves
    29 Oct '09 19:44
    what do atheists think about supernatural phenoma?
  2. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    29 Oct '09 19:47
    "Phenomena"

Like what exactly? Poltergeists and such?
  3. Pepperland
    Moves
    29 Oct '09 19:52
    Originally posted by darvlay
    "Phenomena"

Like what exactly? Poltergeists and such?
    yes.
  4. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    29 Oct '09 20:00
    Originally posted by generalissimo
    yes.
    For me personally, and I'm not an atheist, I'd have to see it to believe it.
  5. Joined
    07 Mar '09
    Moves
    29 Oct '09 20:12
    My father was not an atheist but he said to me many times "Don't worry about dead people, it is the live ones you need to watch out for!"

I have to concur. I have never seen anything that couldn't be explained by some agency in the 'natural' world. Which is not to say that I am absolutely certain that angels aren't dancing on the surface on my computer screen right now.

What do monotheists think about those who have supernatural experiences with several gods? or with animal spirits? or with aliens? If I say that you are just projecting your grief when you experience a vision of your grandmother after her death and you object to that characterization then do you still retain the right to call your neighbor is crazy when he tells you he had a conversation with the Queen of Venus?
  6. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    29 Oct '09 20:29
    The same as god. My level of belief equals the level of proof you can offer.
  7. Joined
    07 Mar '09
    Moves
    29 Oct '09 20:40
    Ooh, ooh, ooh! Do you mean like this insightful warning about Halloween from the Christian Broadcasting Network?

"During this period demons are assigned against those who participate in the rituals and festivities. These demons are automatically drawn to the fetishes that open doors for them to come into the lives of human beings. For example, most of the candy sold during this season has been dedicated and prayed over by witches."

Does praying over candy pay well? Sounds like a pretty easy job! Do you get to sample your demon-filled (or is it nougat-filled) sweet morsels of Satan? Furthermore - why can't they pray the demons off the candy? Poor faith?
  8. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    29 Oct '09 20:43
    Originally posted by TerrierJack
    Ooh, ooh, ooh! Do you mean like this insightful warning about Halloween from the Christian Broadcasting Network?

"During this period demons are assigned against those who participate in the rituals and festivities. These demons are automatically drawn to the fetishes that open doors for them to come into the lives of human beings. For example, most of ...[text shortened]... eet morsels of Satan? Furthermore - why can't they pray the demons off the candy? Poor faith?
    Sweet merciful fate. Tell me you're making that up.
  9. Joined
    07 Mar '09
    Moves
    29 Oct '09 21:01
    http://www.cbn.com/spirituallife/onlinediscipleship/halloween/halloween_danger_daniels.aspx

You can't make stuff like that up.
  10. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    29 Oct '09 21:16
    My definition of 'religious' people is that they believe in supernatural phenomena. If an ateist is without religion, he doesn't believe in any supernatural phenomena according to my definition.
    That's my opinion in the matter.
  11. Cape Town
    Moves
    30 Oct '09 06:561 edit
    I have argued before that the word "supernatural" is little more than an attempt to confuse/misdirect or otherwise hide a problem.
    If a phenomena exists then why label it 'supernatural'? Surely you cannot be saying that it violates the laws of physics as that is logically impossible (the laws of physics are defined as being inviolate).
    So what does one mean?
    It is often used to mean 'I make up the rules so don't question me', or even worse 'it doesn't have to make sense'.
  12. England
    Moves
    30 Oct '09 11:33
    think they watch too many spooky films,
    Doubt even devil worshipers belive that one.
    i BELIVE that when we worship jesus is with us and lisning, but draw the line at opening doors between worlds
  13. Pepperland
    Moves
    30 Oct '09 16:17
    Originally posted by rwingett
    The same as god. My level of belief equals the level of proof you can offer.
    suppose something happened to you and other people who were with you in that moment (like a ghost or poltergeist), and you couldn't explain it, would you change your views or would just think you've gone insane?
  14. Pepperland
    Moves
    30 Oct '09 16:19
    Originally posted by TerrierJack

"During this period demons are assigned against those who participate in the rituals and festivities. These demons are automatically drawn to the fetishes that open doors for them to come into the lives of human beings. For example, most of ...[text shortened]... eet morsels of Satan? Furthermore - why can't they pray the demons off the candy? Poor faith?
    These demons are automatically drawn to the fetishes

LOL.
  15. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    30 Oct '09 17:06
    I reckon 'supernatural' is just part of 'natural'-so I have no problem

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree