Suicide on 9/11 - Damned?

Suicide on 9/11 - Damned?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BWA Soldier

Tha Brotha Hood

Moves
05 Dec 05
1 edit

Originally posted by ivanhoe

They have different numbers?1&2.If your first example is what the topic is about then the difference would be the planes?The first one is murder and the second is suicide!

Correct !!
What if somebody gave them cancer? Would that then be murder and no longer suicide?

i

Felicific Forest

Moves
05 Dec 05

Originally posted by no1marauder
No, Ivanhoe; it was a question. The article's answer is that we can't know if anybody is eternally damned because they commit suicide. Your answer was no. Your answer and the answer of the article are different. Other people might have a different answer. The question asked was to encourage discussion; I thought that was the purpose of this forum.
marauder: "No, Ivanhoe; it was a question.

Let me ask you one thing: Was the question you asked in your first post literally raised by the tv program's makers or was it a question which you thought of watching the program ?

Could you please name the program. Maybe others watched it also.

i

Felicific Forest

Moves
05 Dec 05

Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
What if somebody gave them cancer? Would that then be murder and no longer suicide?
Listen to the marauder: "Rather than thinking up absurd hypotheticals, why not stay on-topic?"

i

Felicific Forest

Moves
05 Dec 05
2 edits

Finally, suicide defies the love we owe God. Sure, we all face the tough times, hardships, and sufferings. However, we are called to place ourselves in the hands of God who will never abandon us, but see us safely through this life. The words of the "Our Father" — "thy will be done" — must be real for us. To commit suicide is to reject His "lordship ...[text shortened]... rald.com/saunders/03ws/ws030605.htm

The jumpers obviously rejected His "lordship".
Marauder: " The jumpers obviously rejected His "lordship".

After considering what has been written in this thread and thinking this whole thing over, do you still hold that opinion ?

BWA Soldier

Tha Brotha Hood

Moves
05 Dec 05

Listen to the marauder: "Rather than thinking up absurd hypotheticals, why not stay on-topic?"
No1marauder can listen to me tell him to bite me if he thinks analogy and abstraction are not essential components of on-topic reasoning.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
05 Dec 05

[b]marauder: "No, Ivanhoe; it was a question.

Let me ask you one thing: Was the question you asked in your first post literally raised by the tv program's makers or was it a question which you thought of watching the program ?

Could you please name the program. Maybe others watched it also.[/b]
The program was Inside 9/11 on the National Geographic Channel. It had a number of minutes with eyewitnesses describing people jumping from the building and even showed some grisly footage of it.

No, the question wasn't literally raised in the program; as I explained in a prior post, the circumstances reminded me of Darfius' assertion that all suicides were automatically eternally damned. I seem to remember being told that was the RCC's position in my youth, although I was obviously either misinformed or my memory was faulty upon review of the Cathecism. I think the thread has taken a ridiculous turn with the odd claim that someone jumping from the 90th floor isn't suicide; if it isn't intentionally ending one's own life, I don't know what would be. Death is absolutely certain.

i

Felicific Forest

Moves
05 Dec 05
1 edit

Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
No1marauder can listen to me tell him to bite me if he thinks analogy and abstraction are not essential components of on-topic reasoning.
Then talk to him.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
05 Dec 05
1 edit

From the "Hunter Thompson Commits Suicide" thread February 21, 2005: http://www.timeforchess.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=20053&page=2

Darfius: Committing suicide is a one way ticket to hell. It shows a complete and utter lack of belief that God can help you through anything. In other words, even if he had faith, he lost it at that last moment.

AND

Darfius: I'm simply pointing out that suicide gets you hell, according to the Bible.

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
05 Dec 05
1 edit

The program was Inside 9/11 on the National Geographic Channel. It had a number of minutes with eyewitnesses describing people jumping from the building and even showed some grisly footage of it.

No, the question wasn't literally raised in the program; as I explained in a prior post, the circumstances reminded me of Darfius' assertion that al ...[text shortened]... intentionally ending one's own life, I don't know what would be. Death is absolutely certain.
In this case I also believe it isn't suicide and it can even not be euthanasia.

It would sound ridiculous to argue if they would have more or less seconds of conscious life (and in which conditions), but it could be logically done.

i

Felicific Forest

Moves
05 Dec 05

From the "Hunter Thompson Commits Suicide" thread February 21, 2005: http://www.timeforchess.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=20053&page=2

Darfius: Committing suicide is a one way ticket to hell. It shows a complete and utter lack of belief that God can help you through anything. In other words, even if he had faith, he lost it at that last ...[text shortened]...

Darfius: I'm simply pointing out that suicide gets you hell, according to the Bible.
You're making a mess of things. Just as the article isn't answering your question you cannot take Darfius's comment as an answer to your question.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
05 Dec 05
3 edits

You're making a mess of things. Just as the article isn't answering your question you cannot take Darfius's comment as an answer to your question.
Why? How do you interpret the phrase "one way ticket to Hell"?

The article did answer my question. Its answer was: "We don't know". I find such an answer perfectly acceptable.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
05 Dec 05

Originally posted by Palynka
In this case I also believe it isn't suicide and it can even not be euthanasia.

It would sound ridiculous to argue if they would have more or less seconds of conscious life (and in which conditions), but it could be logically done.
I suppose anything can be argued.

How do you answer the point raised by me on the first page:

Since everybody dies at some point, suicide must be morally objectionable to the Christian mentality because YOU decide the timing of your death, not the fact of it.

BWA Soldier

Tha Brotha Hood

Moves
05 Dec 05

Just as the article isn't answering your question you cannot take Darfius's comment as an answer to your question.
Why not? Is it your claim that Darfius is wrong?

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
05 Dec 05
1 edit

I suppose anything can be argued.

How do you answer the point raised by me on the first page:

Since everybody dies at some point, suicide must be morally objectionable to the Christian mentality because YOU decide the timing of your death, not the fact of it.
It's an interesting point, but by your definition the individual can only choose between two forms of suicide(edit: since he chooses the timing whether he jumps or not). I believe that your definition is therefore incomplete. Can one be forced to commit suicide?

i

Felicific Forest

Moves
05 Dec 05

Why? How do you interpret the phrase "one way ticket to Hell"?
marauder, these jumpers weren't committing suicide. They were victims of an act of terror.

You are making the unacceptable assumption these jumpers committed suicide and then you ask the question whether they are eternally damned.

You are confusing the perpetrator and the victim.