Suicide on 9/11 - Damned?

Suicide on 9/11 - Damned?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
05 Dec 05
2 edits

Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
The people who remained in the building and died in the flames were not forced to stay. They chose to. They could forsee the immediate consequences of staying. There is no difference between staying and jumping, other than the fact that jumping is often employed as an means of suicide, while reamaing in a burning building is a less-often chosen me ...[text shortened]... incorrect generalization that all cases of jumping from buildings are an act of suicide.
You are actually making a Strawman argument (Ivanhoe pay close attention). Conceivably, staying in the building might have been suicidal, but the actual choice they made was on the ledge. They had a choice of: A) Jumping or B) Not jumping. The choice of jumping is an intentional ending of their own life at a certain time decided by them, ergo suicide. Not jumping is leaving their fate in God's hands, which is required by the Darfius' of the world. What led to the choice on the ledge is irrelevant; they still had the free will to decide not to end their lives AT THAT MOMENT.

H
I stink, ergo I am

On the rebound

Moves
05 Dec 05

The bottom-line is they did not want to die; death was just inevitable. A person who commits suicide wants to die and takes action to kill him/herself. The emphasis is that they jumped from the windows to avoid the fire, not as an act of suicide.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
05 Dec 05

Originally posted by ivanhoe
[b]marauder: "You're being irrational."

Could you please elaborate on this, please.

marauder: "They were both victims of an act of terrorism AND suicides.

Could you elaborate, please ? Are you equating in some way the perpetrators's actions with the jumpers's actions here ?[/b]
You are being irrational and emotional because you are concentrating on what happened prior to claim that the decision by the jumpers was not suicide. As pointed out above. the jumpers had a choice at the ledge to end their lives immediately or to leave it in God's hands. They choose to commit suicide; such a decision may have been perfectly logical and justifiable in my or your eyes, but it was still suicide.

Your second question is a red herring. There were people in the building who were victims of an act of terrorism who were not suicides. The categories are not mutually exclusive or mutually inclusive.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
05 Dec 05

Originally posted by Halitose
The bottom-line is they did [b]not want to die; death was just inevitable. A person who commits suicide wants to die and takes action to kill him/herself. The emphasis is that they jumped from the windows to avoid the fire, not as an act of suicide.[/b]
Death is ALWAYS inevitable. The Christian objection to suicide must be that the person decides WHEN he is going to die, not if. If someone ever gets around to answering that point it would be nice.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
05 Dec 05

Originally posted by fooey
They could have landed on a fat american passerby, or a stack of donuts. These are probabilites and not much less likely. I still find it hard to define that act as suicide, it was just a judgement call based on the best chance of survival and the more preferable way to die.

There's a lot of things thought morally wrong in christian dogma, it certainly doe ...[text shortened]... oing them either. They seem to pick and choose which ones they wish to follow, preach or ignore.
The question is addressed to people who believe things like this:

Darfius: Committing suicide is a one way ticket to hell. It shows a complete and utter lack of belief that God can help you through anything. In other words, even if he had faith, he lost it at that last moment.

AND

Darfius: I'm simply pointing out that suicide gets you hell, according to the Bible

If you don't believe things like that, then obviously the question doesn't apply to you just as the question wouldn't be relevant to someone who doesn't believe in the concept of "eternal damnation" or "Hell" at all.

BWA Soldier

Tha Brotha Hood

Moves
05 Dec 05

Originally posted by no1marauder
Conceivably, staying in the building might have been suicidal, but the actual choice they made was on the ledge. They had a choice of: A) Jumping or B) Not jumping. The choice of jumping is an intentional ending of their own life at a certain time decided by them, ergo suicide. Not jumping is leaving their fate in God's hands, which is required by the D ...[text shortened]... dge is irrelevant; they still had the free will to decide not to end their lives AT THAT MOMENT.
For those who stayed rather than jumped...

Conceivably, jumping from the building might have been suicidal, but the actual choice they made was on the ledge. They had a choice of: A) Staying or B) Not staying. The choice of staying is an intentional ending of their own life at a certain time decided by them, ergo suicide. Not staying is leaving their fate in God's hands. What led to the choice on the ledge is irrelevant; they still had the free will to decide not to end their lives AT THAT MOMENT.

H
I stink, ergo I am

On the rebound

Moves
05 Dec 05

Death is ALWAYS inevitable. The Christian objection to suicide must be that the person decides WHEN he is going to die, not if. If someone ever gets around to answering that point it would be nice.
Death is ALWAYS inevitable.

C'mon No1, do you have to split hair on this? I meant "immediate death".

The Christian objection to suicide must be that the person decides WHEN he is going to die, not if. If someone ever gets around to answering that point it would be nice.

No, the objection is when it's a case of premeditated self-murder, with God being the only one to decide how extenuating the circumstances are.

f

Jupiter

Moves
05 Dec 05

The question is addressed to people who believe things like this:

Darfius: Committing suicide is a one way ticket to hell. It shows a complete and utter lack of belief that God can help you through anything. In other words, even if he had faith, he lost it at that last moment.

AND

Darfius: I'm simply pointing out that suicide gets you ...[text shortened]... vant to someone who doesn't believe in the concept of "eternal damnation" or "Hell" at all.
I obviously don't believe in these notions either, but am challenging the use of this example to provoke the zealots, I don't think the example does the point justice.

H
I stink, ergo I am

On the rebound

Moves
05 Dec 05

Originally posted by fooey
I obviously don't believe in these notions either, but am challenging the use of this example to provoke the zealots, I don't think the example does the point justice.
And just what/who do you define as a "zealot"?

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
05 Dec 05
1 edit

[b]Death is ALWAYS inevitable.

C'mon No1, do you have to split hair on this? I meant "immediate death".

The Christian objection to suicide must be that the person decides WHEN he is going to die, not if. If someone ever gets around to answering that point it would be nice.

No, the objection is when it's a case of premeditated self-murder, with God being the only one to decide how extenuating the circumstances are.[/b]
How is jumping off a 90 story building not "premeditated self-murder"? Remember that premeditation in a legal sense does not require any specific time period; it is enough that the actor think about the decision and then do it. Do you think that the woman who crossed herself and then jumped hadn't "premeditated" about her decision?

H
I stink, ergo I am

On the rebound

Moves
05 Dec 05

How is jumping off a 90 story building not "premeditated self-murder"? Remember that premeditation in a legal sense does not require any specific time period; it is enough that the actor think about the decision and then do it. Do you think that the woman who crossed herself and then jumped hadn't "premeditated" about her decision?
Observe the extenuating circumstance clause. Essentially, I am not in any position to pronouce judgement on any of the people who jumped from the WTC towers.

H
I stink, ergo I am

On the rebound

Moves
05 Dec 05
2 edits

And note: premeditated self-murder. IMO, she crossed herself and jumped, not with the intent of killing herself, but rather to escape the fire: one of the most powerful instincts we have is to avoid severe pain. She obviously realised that she would probably die, but ultimately hoped against hope.

i

Felicific Forest

Moves
05 Dec 05

You are being irrational and emotional because you are concentrating on what happened prior to claim that the decision by the jumpers was not suicide. As pointed out above. the jumpers had a choice at the ledge to end their lives immediately or to leave it in God's hands. They choose to commit suicide; such a decision may have been perfectly logical and ...[text shortened]... errorism who were not suicides. The categories are not mutually exclusive or mutually inclusive.
I am being irrational and emotional (??) because I am "concentrating on what happened prior to claim that the decision by the jumpers was not suicide." ?

marauder: "As pointed out above. the jumpers had a choice at the ledge to end their lives immediately or to leave it in God's hands."

Only in an inhumane and very legalistic reductionist formal way, marauder. Unacceptable reasoning as I pointed out before.

You are again very eager to accuse people without good reason, marauder, in this case of being irrational and emotional (??). (... and the jumpers of course of committing suicide).

Are you feeling that you are defending the indefensible again ?

Your reductionist legalism reminds me of the way strict fundamentalists interprete Scripture.

marauder: "There were people in the building who were victims of an act of terrorism who were not suicides."

The only ones who committed suicide were the terrorists, marauder.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
05 Dec 05

And note: premeditated self-murder. IMO, she crossed herself and jumped, not with the intent of killing herself, but rather to escape the fire: one of the most powerful instincts we have - is to avoid severe pain. She obviously realised that she would probably die, but ultimately hoped against hope.
Don't be absurd; she knew she was going to die and hoped God invoked the "extenuating circumstance" clause you mentioned. I have no problem with those who argue the existence of the EC clause; I do have a problem with people saying that jumping off a 90 story building isn't suicide.

H
I stink, ergo I am

On the rebound

Moves
05 Dec 05

Don't be absurd; she knew she was going to die and hoped God invoked the "extenuating circumstance" clause you mentioned. I have no problem with those who argue the existence of the EC clause; I do have a problem with people saying that jumping off a 90 story building isn't suicide.
How premeditated do you think it is when you have flames licking at you face and your every reflex is urging you off that ledge?