1. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    03 Mar '13 08:02
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    Read a small book by Golfing Great, Ben Hogan, in my teens

which contained One Central Piece of Professional Advice:

to paraphrase, 'Go for Distance First; then, Focus on Getting the Ball in the Fairway'.

Apparently, you've read the same book (more than once).

JS, You're Still On the Tee >>>>>>> how about a hole in one [o]
    I'm content with what I said. If you need to score it, it's a (6) in my book.
  2. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    03 Mar '13 09:392 edits
    Spiritual Truth Poll / Page 1-2 Results //16 Posts, 5 Votes (with mine [1])

o It's out there; I've always wanted to know it and don't plan to stop now.[1] = 1.5

o There's no such thing; I'll construct my own postulates, paradigms and principles.[2] = 1.5

o Maybe it's 'out there', maybe it's not; I'm turned off by all the religious hypocrites.[3]

o I don't give a flying leap about 'spiritual truth' or 'god(s)'; I'm happy just being alive.[4]

o All of the above, except the first.[5]

o Prefer to abstain from voting in this poll; I'm a very private person and it's invaisive.[6] = 1

o None of the above.[7]

o Unspecified.[8] = 1
    -
  3. Standard membersumydid
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Not of this World
    Moves
    04 Mar '13 05:23
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    I merely wanted you to explain what you mean by the term 'spiritual truth' in your question. It is not self explanatory and I am not at all clear about what you mean by it.
    Spiritual truth is a common term and is completely self-explanatory. It seems to me that you are just being willfully and intentionally difficult.

The meaning would be along the lines of knowing how we got here, knowing where we are going, knowing why we are here, knowing why all this even exists, and gleaning the answers to these burning questions via spiritual revelation, experience, and study.

Something like that, although the absolute, perfect, word-for-word definition is unnecessary. Everyone here knows what is meant by the term and poll.
  4. Standard membersumydid
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Not of this World
    Moves
    04 Mar '13 05:25
    I'll go with #1, using the process of elimination.
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    04 Mar '13 05:281 edit
    Originally posted by sumydid
    Spiritual truth is a common term and is completely self-explanatory. It seems to me that you are just being willfully and intentionally difficult.
    How many different "spiritual truths" that completely contradict each other can exist and be valid [i.e."true"] at the same time?
  6. Cape Town
    Moves
    04 Mar '13 09:16
    Originally posted by sumydid
    Spiritual truth is a common term and is completely self-explanatory.
    No, it isn't. I had no idea what it meant until you explained it.

It seems to me that you are just being willfully and intentionally difficult.
    Not at all.

The meaning would be along the lines of knowing how we got here, knowing where we are going, knowing why we are here, knowing why all this even exists, and gleaning the answers to these burning questions via spiritual revelation, experience, and study.
    How you think that was 'self explanatory' from the phrase 'spiritual truth' I have no idea.

Something like that, although the absolute, perfect, word-for-word definition is unnecessary. Everyone here knows what is meant by the term and poll.
    I am clearly not part of the 'everyone' group.

At least now I can honestly answer the poll. I will go with [2] with the understanding that:
    1. How we got here is largely a scientific endeavour and at least to some extent is already known.
    2. Similarly for 'where we are going' with a lot of guess work and best hopes thrown in.
    3. I think the question 'why we are here' is fundamentally flawed, in that all 'why' questions suggest a necessary purpose, in differentiating it from 'how we got here', and I do not think a purpose has been established.
    4. My main reason for choosing [2] is I believe attempts at 'gleaning the answers to these burning questions via spiritual revelation, experience, and study' will not get you any correct answers and is likely to lead to self delusion.
  7. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    04 Mar '13 15:342 edits
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    No, it isn't. I had no idea what it meant until you explained it.

It seems to me that you are just being willfully and intentionally difficult.
    Not at all.

The meaning would be along the lines of knowing how we got here, knowing where we are going, knowing why we are here, knowing why all this even exists, and gleaning the answers to thes y' will not get you any correct answers and is likely to lead to self delusion.
    Any truth to the persistent rumors of some law pertaining to gravitational forces operative on Planet Earth?
  8. Cape Town
    Moves
    04 Mar '13 16:291 edit
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    Any truth to the persistent rumors of some law pertaining to gravitational forces operative on Planet Earth?
    Yes, the law of gravity applies to objects on planet earth. With the understanding that a 'law' in science is a fairly simple rule that appears not to be violated. What exactly causes gravity and exactly how it works I do not know and I don't think scientists have completely worked it out either.

Can you explain how this is relevant to the thread? Is gravity a 'spiritual truth' in your definition?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree