Soul?

Soul?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
14 Jan 10

Originally posted by vistesd
In Genesis 2:7, you have:

“…and he breathed (v’yephach) into his nostrils the breath of life (nepheshmat chayim) and he became the human/earthling (ha’adam) into being (l’nephesh) living (chayah).”

So here, the “soul-word” is [b]nephesh
. This is, in a sense, the “zoological soul”, or the breath of li ...[text shortened]... e Talmud). So certainly none of my comments should be taken as intending any “definitive” view.[/b]
Thanks for your research...

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
14 Jan 10
1 edit

Originally posted by galveston75
Ok lets reason ...
Great. Reason away... You are joining the ranks of those who use their little peabrains and their severely limited knowledge to reason why

- there is no God
- the flood never happened
- Jesus is myth

And they have all the 'proof' that they are right. As do you. You are convinced that you know that you are right when Christ is saying the opposite of what you believe.

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
14 Jan 10

Originally posted by Rajk999
Great. Reason away... You are joining the ranks of those who use their little peabrains and their severely limited knowledge to reason why

- there is no God
- Jesus is myth

And they have all the 'proof' that they are right. As do you. You are convinced that you know that you are right when Christ is saying the opposite of what you believe.
Still not answering to my post. Why is it you always start attacking when you can't answer? If your not going to try and reason about this then you might as well leave as you are not doing what you originally posted to me that this is a discussion on the soul. You are now not discussing but going back to your tactics of attack. I'm disappointed in you as I hoped for more.

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
14 Jan 10
1 edit

Still not answering to my post. Why is it you always start attacking when you can't answer? If your not going to try and reason about this then you might as well leave as you are not doing what you originally posted to me that this is a discussion on the soul. You are now not discussing but going back to your tactics of attack. I'm disappointed in you as I hoped for more.
Here is a question I asked you on Page 1 of this thread which you ignored:

What about the story of the Rich man and Lazarus (Luke 16)? In this story it appears that both the rich man Lazarus after death were able to see and speak and feel and touch etc. I have heard a lot of explanations about this story but the answer to the one important question I have never heard ... Why would Christ use a false doctrine to make a point?

On Page 2 you said that Christ rejected the doctrine of the Pharisees regarding the soul, and I asked you :

Kindly show where Christ rejected the belief by the Phariseees that "...souls have power to survive death and that there are rewards and punishments under the earth for those who have led lives of virtue or vice: eternal imprisonment is the lot for evil souls, while the good souls recieve an easy passage to a new life.."

So there are two questions which I asked you and you ignored.

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
14 Jan 10
1 edit

Here is a question I asked you on Page 1 of this thread which you ignored:

What about the story of the Rich man and Lazarus (Luke 16)? In this story it appears that both the rich man Lazarus after death were able to see and speak and feel and touch etc. I have heard a lot of explanations about this story but the answer to the one important question I h passage to a new life.."

So there are two questions which I asked you and you ignored.
First Jesus condemned the Pharaisees completely, so why would he agree with any of their beliefs such as the immortality of the soul which is not taught in the Bible? The story of the Rich man and Lazuras is a parable. "Do you know what a parable is and are you able to recognize them?"
This is a parable of the spiritually starved ones that are not being feed the spiritual food they need to survive by their religious leaders.
If you will read the whole chapter there are plenty of hints that this is a parable. For instance would the rich man be able to see Lazuras in heaven in Moses's bossum if he were in Hades? Would a single drop of water cool one off in a balzing fire that would be able cause comfort?
So this answers both your questions. Jesus was not refering to any false teachings of any kind but simply using an illustration that would be understood to those he was speaking to.

NOW you answer mine or I think my discussion is over with you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
14 Jan 10

First Jesus condemned the Pharaisees completely, so why would he agree with any of their beliefs such as the immortality of the soul which is not taught in the Bible? The story of the Rich man and Lazuras is a parable. "Do you know what a parable is and are you able to recognize them?"
This is a parable of the spiritually starved ones that are not bei ...[text shortened]... ng to.

NOW you answer mine or I think my discussion is over with you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
First, Christ condemned certain bad qualities the Pharisees displayed. Christ did not condemn the doctrine of Pharisees. Even so Christ listed all the bad things about the Pharisees and said to beware of them .... the soul was not included in that list. So to claim CHrist disagreed with all the beliefs of the Pharisees is just plain wrong.

You have no proof that Christ disagreed with the Pharisees regarding their beliefs on the soul. Therefore either retract your statement on Page 1 or show where Christ disagreed with the Pharisees.

If you wilfully continue to make incorrect statements then my discussion with you is over.

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
14 Jan 10

First, Christ condemned certain bad qualities the Pharisees displayed. Christ did not condemn the doctrine of Pharisees. Even so Christ listed all the bad things about the Pharisees and said to beware of them .... the soul was not included in that list. So to claim CHrist disagreed with all the beliefs of the Pharisees is just plain wrong.

You have no pro ...[text shortened]... s.

If you wilfully continue to make incorrect statements then my discussion with you is over.
Then it's over. C ya!!!

Illinois

Moves
14 Jan 10

Then it's over. C ya!!!
You still haven't responded to my post. I'll reproduce it here for your convenience:

Consider the thief on the cross. He turned to Christ and said, “Jesus, Lord, remember me when Thou comest into Thy kingdom” (Luke 23:42). If consciousness truly ceases after death, then Jesus could not have promised the thief that before the day was done that he would still be alive and with Him in Paradise. Right? And yet, that's exactly what Christ promises: “Today shalt thou be with me in Paradise.” No sleep of death, no time of waiting, no unconsciousness of the soul.

Was Christ offering a false promise?

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
14 Jan 10

Originally posted by epiphinehas
You still haven't responded to my post. I'll reproduce it here for your convenience:

Consider the thief on the cross. He turned to Christ and said, “Jesus, Lord, remember me when Thou comest into Thy kingdom” (Luke 23:42). If consciousness truly ceases after death, then Jesus could not have promised the thief that before the day was done that he woul ...[text shortened]... no time of waiting, no unconsciousness of the soul.

Was Christ offering a false promise?
Sorry that I missed your post. Just got carried away with others.
The actual point that can be debated is where the puntuation mark or emphasis is at in this sentenance with the word "Today." Most translations have it after "today" which looks like Jesus was talking about that immediate day that they died. But in reality puncuations were not used in the original Greek languge of this writing. So the emphasis is not really known. But if the comma were behind the word "today" it would give it a different meaning.
Also if it were that literal day that they died and went to the paradise that Jesus was speaking of to him, then Jesus was not really in the grave and dead for the 3 days the Bible says he was.
So Jesus had to speaking of a time period or day in the future.

Moves
14 Jan 10

- there is no God
- Jesus is myth

Whereas you use your massive brain-the-size-of-a-planet with its special sensus divinitatis module to intuit that:

-there is a god
-yadayadayada

splendid 🙂

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
14 Jan 10

... then Jesus was not really in the grave and dead for the 3 days the Bible says he was.....
You are being dense as bucket of rocks. Christ explained that a person is made up of a body and a soul -- Matt 10:28 -- does that verse sound familiar?

His body was in the grave but his spirit or soul was not. It would have gone elsewhere. Maybe the same place Lazarus went in the parable of the Rich man and Lazarus (Luke 16). Maybe somewhere else. He was the Son of God .. remember?

Throw those JW books and magazines in fire, and start reading the Bible smarty.

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
14 Jan 10

You are being dense as bucket of rocks. Christ explained that a person is made up of a body and a soul -- Matt 10:28 -- does that verse sound familiar?

His body was in the grave but his spirit or soul was not. It would have gone elsewhere. Maybe the same place Lazarus went in the parable of the Rich man and Lazarus (Luke 16). Maybe somewhere else. He was ...[text shortened]... .. remember?

Throw those JW books and magazines in fire, and start reading the Bible smarty.
Is someone still here? No just my imagination I guess as he said he was thru and unable to answer my questions....

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
15 Jan 10

Is someone still here? No just my imagination I guess as he said he was thru and unable to answer my questions....
I ignored your questions becuase they are childish and there are no answers in the Bible for your questions. The fact that you asked a bunch a irrelevant questions does not disprove the teachings of Christ that the body and soul are two separate and distinct components of humans. Plus the fact that Christ used the principle in his story/parable is a clear sign that they are not false doctrines.

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
15 Jan 10
1 edit

I ignored your questions becuase they are childish and there are no answers in the Bible for your questions. The fact that you asked a bunch a irrelevant questions does not disprove the teachings of Christ that the body and soul are two separate and distinct components of humans. Plus the fact that Christ used the principle in his story/parable is a clear sign that they are not false doctrines.
Lol.... You know Raj the more you dance around this is the more you show you really don't know the complete bible very well. I think if you did you would address the scriptures I've presented to you about the soul. I would also think that as an intelligent man you'd have a open mind and look at the evidence which you seem to refuse to do. I really can't figure that one out.

rc

Moves
15 Jan 10
1 edit

Lol.... You know Raj the more you dance around this is the more you show you really don't know the complete bible very well. I think if you did you would address the scriptures I've presented to you about the soul. I would also think that as an intelligent man you'd have a open mind and look at the evidence which you seem to refuse to do. I really can't figure that one out.
he maintains that the parable of the rich man and Lazarus is a condemnation of rich persons who do not use their wealth to help others. As regards the soul, when someone sends out a distress signal, what do they state? Save our souls, S.O.S, what are they asking for, someone to come and rescue a nonphysical part of their makeup, or are they asking that the entire person be saved? thus it is self evident that a soul, as the scriptures state, is the entire person, an animated being, a living and breathing creature, animated with spirit.