Slave Owners and the NT

Slave Owners and the NT

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

E

Moves
26 Jul 17

Originally posted by @thinkofone
One can only wonder how long Eladar will remain blind to the fact that if slaves owners liked being treated as slaves, they'd become slaves themselves.

Matthew 7
12“In everything, therefore, treat people the same way you want them to treat you, for this is the Law and the Prophets.
Typical. Oh well I suppose a liberal must be a liberal.

Über-Nerd

Moves
28 Jul 17

Originally posted by @eladar
Sin is sin and is always sin. God does not change, sin does not change.
"Sin is sin" is a meaningless tautology. The specific acts which constitute sin or piety change over time. When Lev. was written, it was considered pious to sacrifice a live animal on a stone altar; this is no longer so. It was once considered right and proper for a man to have concubines as well as a wife and to have sex with all of them; this is no longer so. It was once considered right and proper to stone an adulteress; this is no longer so. It was once considered right and proper to own slaves; this is no longer so. It was once considered right and proper to burn witches and heretics at the stake; this is no longer so.

E

Moves
28 Jul 17

Originally posted by @moonbus
"Sin is sin" is a meaningless tautology. The specific acts which constitute sin or piety change over time. When Lev. was written, it was considered pious to sacrifice a live animal on a stone altar; this is no longer so. It was once considered right and proper for a man to have concubines as well as a wife and to have sex with all of them; this is no longer ...[text shortened]... nce considered right and proper to burn witches and heretics at the stake; this is no longer so.
Sin is sin and is defined by God, not man.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
29 Jul 17

According to the Bible, can slave owners in the modern world be a child of God?
ESV 1 Timothy 1:8-11

Now we know that the law is good, if one uses it lawfully, understanding this, that the law
is not laid down for the just but for the lawless and disobedient, for the ungodly and
sinners, for the unholy and profane, for those who strike their fathers and mothers, for
murderers, the sexually immoral, men who practice homosexuality, enslavers, liars,
perjurers, and whatever else is contrary to sound doctrine, in accordance with the gospel
of the glory of the blessed God with which I have been entrusted.

It seems that enslavers is right up there with other nasty sins, I'd say no not in this
modern world.

E

Moves
29 Jul 17
1 edit

Originally posted by @kellyjay
ESV 1 Timothy 1:8-11

Now we know that the law is good, if one uses it lawfully, understanding this, that the law
is not laid down for the just but for the lawless and disobedient, for the ungodly and
sinners, for the unholy and profane, for those who strike their fathers and mothers, for
murderers, the sexually immoral, men who practice homosexualit ...[text shortened]... ms that enslavers is right up there with other nasty sins, I'd say no not in this
modern world.
Is slave owner in the list given? Are you adding to the Bible?

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
29 Jul 17

Is slave owner in the list given? Are you adding to the Bible?
I'm sorry did you see me use the word slave owner? You seem to be adding to my words.

E

Moves
29 Jul 17

I'm sorry did you see me use the word slave owner? You seem to be adding to my words.
So you were not actually trying to answer the question posed in the thread.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
29 Jul 17

So you were not actually trying to answer the question posed in the thread.
That has nothing to do with adding to my words now does it? You don't get to do that then
turn around and accuse me of adding to the Bible.

E

Moves
29 Jul 17

That has nothing to do with adding to my words now does it? You don't get to do that then
turn around and accuse me of adding to the Bible.
So you play word games to try to prove a point. Congrats.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
29 Jul 17

So you play word games to try to prove a point. Congrats.
No, when you change my words, then accuse me of adding to the Word of God that is
like LYING, you are promoting something that never happen. You do know where all
liars end up right? You change the meaning of my words to make me say something I did
not say, it is you who are playing word games, not me...I'm just calling you out on it.

E

Moves
29 Jul 17

No, when you change my words, then accuse me of adding to the Word of God that is
like LYING, you are promoting something that never happen. You do know where all
liars end up right? You change the meaning of my words to make me say something I did
not say, it is you who are playing word games, not me...I'm just calling you out on it.
Putting that aside, do you want to deal with the issue of the thread or do you want to continue trying to change the subject.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
29 Jul 17

Putting that aside, do you want to deal with the issue of the thread or do you want to continue trying to change the subject.
You admit you screwed up? I added to the subject, I just didn't speak to a part you wanted
to see.

E

Moves
29 Jul 17
1 edit

You admit you screwed up? I added to the subject, I just didn't speak to a part you wanted
to see.
No, even those who enslave are not inherently doomed. If they were, God would have declared the institution immoral. Just as a soldier who kills is not doomed. Surely you believe killing to be worse than enslaving

Now will you deal with the issue?

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
29 Jul 17

No, even those who enslave are not inherently doomed. If they were, God would have declared the institution immoral. Just as a soldier who kills is not doomed. Surely you believe killing to be worse than enslaving

Now will you deal with the issue?
Why, you have shown yourself willing to make claims that are not true, and instead of
saying, "I'm sorry I made a mistake." you just attempt to brush it aside as nothing. This is
not the first time I have had this "issue" with you. You realize you are no different than any
one else here in that we all screw up from time to time, why not admit it when you do?

When you do that your arguments will carry more strength.

E

Moves
29 Jul 17

Why, you have shown yourself willing to make claims that are not true, and instead of
saying, "I'm sorry I made a mistake." you just attempt to brush it aside as nothing. This is
not the first time I have had this "issue" with you. You realize you are no different than any
one else here in that we all screw up from time to time, why not admit it when you do?

When you do that your arguments will carry more strength.
I said that what I said was true. Even your original claim is not in the Bible.

Why apologize for being right?