Sinful Sexual Thoughts

Sinful Sexual Thoughts

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cape Town

Moves
06 Nov 07

Originally posted by Jay Joos
It escapes me....i cant believe that none of what "we" said was understandable...."we" couldn't have explained it easier.....
Each member of the "we" had a different explanation.
Your explanations were not consistent nor clear.
Maybe you would like to try again? When Jesus says something like:
1. If your eye causes you to sin then cut it out.
2. Do not lust for anyone other than your wife.
The is he being serious and if he is not being serious then why did he say it?

JJ

Moves
06 Nov 07

Originally posted by twhitehead
Each member of the "we" had a different explanation.
Your explanations were not consistent nor clear.
Maybe you would like to try again? When Jesus says something like:
1. If your eye causes you to sin then cut it out.
2. Do not lust for anyone other than your wife.
The is he being serious and if he is not being serious then why did he say it?
1. a parable.... it would be better to lose 1 part of your body than for the whole of it to be cast into hell forever.... DONT actually do it but be prepared to be cast away if you sin.

2. Once again...if you lust after anyone other than your spouse you will be commiting sin so it means "dont sin"

He was serious.

Cape Town

Moves
06 Nov 07

Originally posted by Jay Joos
1. a parable.... it would be better to lose 1 part of your body than for the whole of it to be cast into hell forever.... DONT actually do it but be prepared to be cast away if you sin.
Please clarify what you mean by that. Why should you not actually do it? Either it is better or it isn't. You cant have it both ways.

JJ

Moves
06 Nov 07

Originally posted by twhitehead
Please clarify what you mean by that. Why should you not actually do it? Either it is better or it isn't. You cant have it both ways.
Underneath what he was saying is the message "do not sin"... maybe he was saying wouldnt you rather 1 part be damned than the whole of you.... really is just saying do not sin!

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
06 Nov 07

Originally posted by snowinscotland
It was the way you put it:- I read it as if you thought a person was judging you...

So do you think god is judging you? for what he designed you for? Or were yoiu telling epi that he/she has got wrapped up way too tight?
I don't know if I would word it like you did, but I think some of epiphineas' beliefs are absurd, like the strident prohibitions on 'coveting'. Personally, I don't believe in any gods.

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
06 Nov 07
1 edit

Originally posted by Pawnokeyhole
Isn't one religious line of thought that God deliberately designed us to experience sexual temptation so that we could freely exercise our will not to succumb to it?

Isn't sexual temptation one of God's ways of creating the possibility that second-order moral virtues, such as prudence and continence, could come into existence?
Isn't one religious line of thought that God deliberately designed us to experience sexual temptation so that we could freely exercise our will not to succumb to it?

The problem is that the temptation itself is condemned, not the actions resulting from that temptation.

Isn't sexual temptation one of God's ways of creating the possibility that second-order moral virtues, such as prudence and continence, could come into existence?

Sounds like one typical response to the 'problem of evil' - a theist argues that events like tsunamis and hurricane Katrina provide the opportunity for second-order moral goods, but the argument isn't satisfying. One wonders why an all-powerful, all-knowing God can only obtain these goods via suffering.

Edit: I wouldn't call 'continence' a moral virtue.

s

Moves
06 Nov 07

Originally posted by SwissGambit
I don't know if I would word it like you did, but I think some of epiphineas' beliefs are absurd, like the strident prohibitions on 'coveting'. Personally, I don't believe in any gods.
So you think that epi is the one judging you?

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
06 Nov 07

Originally posted by snowinscotland
So you think that epi is the one judging you?
Think of my responses to him as hypothetically accepting his point of view and seeing where it leads.

C

Moves
08 Nov 07

Originally posted by SwissGambit
The problem is that the temptation itself is condemned, not the actions resulting from that temptation.
Are you saying it is a sin to be tempted?

That's news to me........

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
08 Nov 07

Originally posted by Crita
Are you saying it is a sin to be tempted?

That's news to me........
RHP really needs to offer a thread-reading training class. 😞