Sickening Bible Stories

Sickening Bible Stories

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
24 Feb 05

Originally posted by no1marauder
Take 'em in order; start with the Jepthath story. Please look at the passage in any traditional version (king James, Darby, ASV, whatever; I don't want to get sidetracked into which is best but I don't want to use versions created in the last 25 or so years either) and then read my first post in this thread for my take on it and return with your thoughts.
Did not get to them today, I will and will write on each one in order
when I get a chance.
Kelly

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
24 Feb 05

Originally posted by frogstomp
did he or did he not authorize murdering children? it's a yes or no type question.

No, God does not murder I already written that.
Kelly

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
24 Feb 05

I am severely disappointed in you, KellyJay; you promised to look over the passages and then return to debate. You didn't. The passages indicate that if you believe literally in the Old Testament than you worship a monster. And then the best you can do is argue over the sex of a deity??????
I told you I would get to them, I had hopes of doing it today.
I did not, but I will get to them.
Kelly

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
24 Feb 05

Originally posted by KellyJay
Kelly
Are you simply stating that as an irrefutable definition? If your God commanded the Israelites to kill innocent children (which he did) how is he not guilty of murder?

Lord Chook

Stringybark

Moves
24 Feb 05

You can point me to one scripture where God is refered to as a she?
Kelly
Absolutely not. The Council at Nicea ensured that all references to women that were vaguely positive were expunged from the Bible.

Early Gnostic writings referred to the trinity as "The Father, The Mother, The Child" From the Gnostic Secret Book of John. So the early Church, prior to the Council of Nicea recognized that God was both masculine and feminine. It was simply the work of a mortal, Constantine in 325AD who redefined God as masculine.

The Apologist

Moves
24 Feb 05

Originally posted by Maustrauser
Absolutely not. The Council at Nicea ensured that all references to women that were vaguely positive were expunged from the Bible.

Early Gnostic writings referred to the trinity as "The Father, The Mother, The Child" From the Gnostic Secret Book of John. So the early Church, prior to the Council of Nicea recognized that God was both masculine an ...[text shortened]... inine. It was simply the work of a mortal, Constantine in 325AD who redefined God as masculine.
The Gnostics were roughly equivalent to the sect of Christians who believe we're immune to snake venom.

Representative of the early Church? Hardly.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
24 Feb 05

Originally posted by Darfius
The Gnostics were roughly equivalent to the sect of Christians who believe we're immune to snake venom.

Representative of the early Church? Hardly.
Mr. Know-it-all Bigot. Quote a source proving the Gnostics weren't representative of the early church, since you insist on other people quoting their sources - where are yours? And did you finally figure out that the word Palestine was derived from Phillista the land of the Philistines? What a joke you are!

f
Bruno's Ghost

In a hot place

Moves
24 Feb 05
1 edit

Kelly
so ....

he didn't know people lived on the land he gave to Moses?

he didnt tell Joshua to form an army?

he didn't give the priests the tools to make the walls fall down.

he didn't know how to defeat the "men with iron chariots"

OR.....

Is when bible says " God said to %pick one%" , it was only % pick one% saying god said it?

edit actually the couldnt take the valley because the men with the iron chariots were there.

g
Wayward Soul

Your Blackened Sky

Moves
24 Feb 05
1 edit

MARRY THEM??????????????? You're joking, right? That's a wonderful courtship OT God worked out for them, wasn't it?

NY Penal Law 130.35: Any person is guilty of rape in the first degree when they engage in sexual intercouse with another person: 1) By forcible compulsion.

"Forcible Compulsion" is defined at PL 130.8 as: to compel by either a) Use of physical force or b) a threat, express or implied, which places a person in fear of immediate death or physical injury.

Want to construct a legal defense on the basis that those Midianite girls who just saw their entire families butchered weren't under a "threat" of "immediate death" if they did not agree to have sexual intercourse with their new owners? There's some liberal judges in New York, but I wouldn't argue that one in court!

So I am saying they were going to be raped day after day for the rest of their lives, on the orders of your "merciful and loving" God. Clear enough?

clear enough - not really! so you're saying that they're going to marry them forcably so when they have sex with them they're, technically, raping them? (according to american law...)

nowhere does it mention sex. it says keep the virgins, sure. but maybe that was because they are not unclean in the eyes of God (well-not as unclean)

and God did not order them to be kept alvie etc - he ordered them to be killed, which made perfect sense. but they weren't. it was moses that ordered them to be kept alive, and moses, ans indeed the israelites, were far from perfect!

Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
These aren't just random evildoers. One was a patriarch, the brother of Abraham. The other was one of the most powerful kings of Israel, and a man the bible says was "after God's own heart". Then again, God never had a problem killing large volumes of people in the bible.

In case you missed it, the title of this thread is 'sickening bible stories', thus, my posts are very much on topic. If the topic bothers you, I suggest you get out of the thread.

okay-so they are sikening bible stories, but they do not have anything to do with God. sure, david was powerful, and after Gods own heart, and he most definatly should not have done what he did. but he was also far far far from perfect! noone is perfect. but he was much better than a lot of the other kings that followed him. you want atrocities, read the acts of some of the kings in kings. not nice...but, as i said, they were critised for what they did! God certainly did not condone it!

and okay, they are bible stories, but they bear no relation on how we should view God, save that he does not like it when you sin, and that everyone sins, nomatter how good or bad they are. apart from God...

Are you simply stating that as an irrefutable definition? If your God commanded the Israelites to kill innocent children (which he did) how is he not guilty of murder?

he was protecting his people isriel - there were a number of peoples which were not wiped out, and as i said earlier, they became a thorn in the flesh of his chosen people. and as someone else said earlier, those children may have been dead on earth, but they are living in heaven now! i know which one i would prefer! 🙂

Would you like to share a Sickening Bible Story with us, Ivanhoe? You haven't been on topic once in this thread, so your critique of other people straying off-topic is a bit hypocritical, isn't it?

why did the chicken cross the mobius strip?

to get to the same side!

and there was somthing else i was going to say, but i forget...😛

f
Bruno's Ghost

In a hot place

Moves
24 Feb 05
1 edit

Originally posted by genius
clear enough - not really! so you're saying that they're going to marry them forcably so when they have sex with them they're, technically, raping them? (according to american law...)
[/b]
tr.v. raped, rap·ing, rapes
To force (another person) to submit to sex acts, especially sexual intercourse; commit rape on.

so rape and murder are ok acts according to the bible, as long as you say god said it was ok.

you can keep that god ,, and remember after you get caught acting on your faith,,, don't drop da soap, you aint the only one that follows that kind of god.

g
Wayward Soul

Your Blackened Sky

Moves
24 Feb 05

tr.v. raped, rap·ing, rapes
To force (another person) to submit to sex acts, especially sexual intercourse; commit rape on.

so rape and murder are ok acts according to the bible, as long as you say god said it was ok.

you can keep that god ,, and remember after you get caught acting on your faith,,, don't drop da soap, you aint the only one that follows that kind of god.

noooooooo-rape is not okay, at no point did i say it was and certainly at no point did the bible say it was!

please tell me where it says they rape them at Gods command or that this is okay 😛

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
24 Feb 05

Are you simply stating that as an irrefutable definition?

God created the universe without death for mankind, death is a result
of sin. God setup the universe to behave with the laws of physics we
recognize today, we do not call chemical reactions good or bad, they
are simply the way they are. God according to scripture sets the time
for each of our lives to end here, and after that the judgment and
there is no time limit or promised time given to man from God, no
one has promised any of us tomorrow. God is the ultimate judge on
all matters, and when He decides to act according to His will in
response to the actions of a people, He has all the rights, authority,
and power to do so. He put up He takes down according to His will, He
cannot commit murder. People who do kill in the name of God will
answer for those actions if God did not tell them to, and now in this
time after Jesus I don't believe that anyone can truthfully say God
told them to kill. The change of covenant has God reaching to each
man, sin has been dealt with through Christ as God seeks out each
person now without reguard to race, sex, age, and so on.
Kelly

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
24 Feb 05

so ....

he didn't know people lived on the land he gave to Moses?

he didnt tell Joshua to form an army?

he didn't give the priests the tools to make the walls fall down.

he didn't know how to defeat the "men with iron chariots"

OR.....

Is when bible says " God said to %pick one%" , it was only % pick one% saying god sai ...[text shortened]... actually the couldnt take the valley because the men with the iron chariots were there.
You should start following conversations completely or not at all.
Kelly

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
24 Feb 05

Originally posted by Maustrauser

Early Gnostic writings referred to the trinity as "The Father, The Mother, The Child" From the Gnostic Secret Book of John. So the early Church, prior to the Council of Nicea recognized that God was both masculine an ...[text shortened]... inine. It was simply the work of a mortal, Constantine in 325AD who redefined God as masculine.
I did ask if God has both masculine and feminine traits, I asked for
a verse where God is referred to as a she, do the Jewish people refer
to God as a she? Secret books aside, I don't care what they say! There
are several translations written after the Council of Nices, any of them
that are not PC driven have God being referred to as a she? I'm aware
of some PC translations do that just to be PC, but I'm only interested
in translations that care about being accurate not those that want a
certain segment of our society pleased over what was really written.
Kelly

f
Bruno's Ghost

In a hot place

Moves
24 Feb 05

Originally posted by genius
noooooooo-rape is not okay, at no point did i say it was and certainly at no point did the bible say it was!

please tell me where it says they rape them at Gods command or that this is okay 😛
no1 marauder has already posted the quote.
as Kelly Jay has said here.."we aren't talking about just some guy.."

God is supposed to know what's gonna happen. If he told them to do something, he knew the ramifications of it,,,thats where the assent is"