Saved by faith

Saved by faith

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

anybody seen my

underpants??

Moves
29 Aug 09

Originally posted by KellyJay
You do get no doubt that once saved you'll end up doing works, the
reason the works doesn't save you is because it is a byproduct of
your salvation, not the cause of it. If you stress works for salvation you
are puttiing the cart before the horse, you are saying God now owes
you salvation, which He does not it is a gift of God you cannot earn.
Kelly
well put

rc

Moves
29 Aug 09

Originally posted by KellyJay
You do get no doubt that once saved you'll end up doing works, the
reason the works doesn't save you is because it is a byproduct of
your salvation, not the cause of it. If you stress works for salvation you
are puttiing the cart before the horse, you are saying God now owes
you salvation, which He does not it is a gift of God you cannot earn.
Kelly
that is not what the Apostle James is stressing, for if you carefully examine the text, according to your proposition Rehab the Harlot, was saved and then was declared righteous by her works, which is clearly not the case, is it ?, for he clearly states that it was because of her works that she was declared righteous (note that she was not actually righteous, but had righteousness attributed to her or in other words was declared righteous) and her action was an expression of her faith no doubt, but something more powerful than a mere declaration, an evident demonstration of her faith if you like. it appears to me that you people have misjudged this idea, that somehow, through a simple declaration, you will automatically do good works, that salvation awaits you, regardless. the gift of everlasting life, is just that, a gift, and no amount of good works shall merit an accreditation of that gift, never the less, i would say that works are an indication, an outward expression of the inner person, and an important aspect of a living faith.

rc

Moves
29 Aug 09

Originally posted by duecer
well put
no it wisnae! you wee sleekit cowerin timerous beastie!

anybody seen my

underpants??

Moves
31 Aug 09

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
no it wisnae! you wee sleekit cowerin timerous beastie!
I see that brought the scot out a ya

anybody seen my

underpants??

Moves
31 Aug 09

that is not what the Apostle James is stressing, for if you carefully examine the text, according to your proposition Rehab the Harlot, was saved and then was declared righteous by her works, which is clearly not the case, is it ?, for he clearly states that it was because of her works that she was declared righteous (note that she was not actually r ...[text shortened]... ndication, an outward expression of the inner person, and an important aspect of a living faith.
you say tomayto I say tomato

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
31 Aug 09
1 edit

As Ephesians 2:8–9 says, "For it is by grace you have been saved through faith. It is not from yourself or anything you've done, but the gift of God." Salvation, therefore, is a free gift of grace from God.
Rec'd.... and "grace" is all that the Father is free to do for mankind, in

time and eternity, because of what the Son accomplished on the cross.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
31 Aug 09

why don't you get yourself a decent translation Deucer dude, grace is so like 16th century.

(Ephesians 2:8-9) . . .By this undeserved kindness, indeed, you have been saved through faith; and this not owing to you, it is God’s gift.  No, it is not owing to works, in order that no man should have ground for boasting. . .

naturally we also have th ...[text shortened]... er way?  Indeed, as the body without spirit is dead, so also faith without works is dead.

🙂
Astute, Robbie, to challenge Duecer by premising the possibility of using an anachronism. To 'love' in the 16th century = to trifle

and to love as we use it now = to 'cherish' (since morphed into charity). Fully agree that 'grace' does seem an inadequate word

to communicate the fact that God desires (and in eternity past decided) to share His own power, wealth and happiness with man.

j

Moves
01 Sep 09

Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
Astute, Robbie, to challenge Duecer by premising the possibility of using an anachronism. To 'love' in the 16th century = to trifle

and to love as we use it now = to 'cherish' (since morphed into charity). Fully agree that 'grace' does seem an inadequate word

to communicate the fact that God desires (and in eternity past decided) to share His own power, wealth and happiness with man.
Grace can be understood as God working on the behalf of man. Rather than man's work grace is what God works for man's benefit.

The law demands man to meet what God requires. Grace is God working for man to meet what God requires.

P

weedhopper

Moves
02 Sep 09

As Ephesians 2:8–9 says, "For it is by grace you have been saved through faith. It is not from yourself or anything you've done, but the gift of God." Salvation, therefore, is a free gift of grace from God.
Correct. Any questions regarding this (the fact that salvation IS a free gift, that we don't choose Christ--but rather He chooses us) should be directed to the author of the blog
http://www.lutheran-in-sc.blogspot.com/

I believe you won't be disappointed.