Sacred Name Movement

Sacred Name Movement

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Moves
22 Dec 11
1 edit

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
God is an abstract noun, it up to the individual to give it meaning...
But you concede that it is an English language word, yes?

Shangdi, Zhu, Allah and Tian Zhu are all abstract nouns too, robbie. These words all have meaning too: "God".

rc

Moves
22 Dec 11

Originally posted by FMF
"Allah" is an Arabic word. According to wiki, the use of the term "Allah" in Arab Christian churches predates Islam by several centuries.
well it would, its their language, Islam did not come into existence until 500 or there about, what would you expect?

F

Moves
22 Dec 11

well it would, its their language, Islam did not come into existence until 500 or there about, what would you expect?
So despite your personal reservations, you concede that it is one of the words for "God" in world Christianity and down through history?

rc

Moves
22 Dec 11

Originally posted by FMF
But you concede that it is an English language word, yes?
Its an English term which transcends culture, an Egyptian Christian, as well as a
Pakistani Christian, as well as an American Christian, understands it, it has no cultural
connotations.

F

Moves
22 Dec 11

Its an English term which transcends culture, an Egyptian Christian, as well as a
Pakistani Christian, as well as an American Christian, understands it, it has no cultural
connotations.
I see.

You would have us believe that Egyptians, Pakistanis, Mongolians and Indonesians who do not speak any English understand the word "God"?

rc

Moves
22 Dec 11

Originally posted by FMF
So despite your personal reservations, you concede that it is one of the words for "God" in world Christianity and down through history?
Nope, its exclusive to those persons who spoke Arabic.

F

Moves
22 Dec 11

Arab Christians, in fact. And do these Arab Christians, in your view, not form part of the "reality of Christianity"?

rc

Moves
22 Dec 11

Originally posted by FMF
I see.

You would have us believe that Egyptians, Pakistanis, Mongolians and Indonesians who do not speak any English understand the word "God"?
Nope, i have stated that it has no cultural connotations.

F

Moves
22 Dec 11

Isn't the word "God" exclusive to those persons who speak English or those who are using the English word "God" despite the fact it is not the word for "God" from their mother tongue?

rc

Moves
22 Dec 11

Originally posted by FMF
Arab Christians, in fact. And do these Arab Christians, in your view, not form part of the "reality of Christianity"?
Christianity transcends both language and culture, yawn.

F

Moves
22 Dec 11

Nope, i have stated that it has no cultural connotations.
But surely claiming that an English word has "no cultural connotations" means you - in terms of the word used for "God" - exclude cultures where English is not the language spoken. Doesn't claiming that English - by way of its word for "God" - transcends all other languages and cultures, a pretty sizable cultural connotation, in and of itself?

rc

Moves
22 Dec 11
1 edit

Originally posted by FMF
Isn't the word "God" exclusive to those persons who speak English or those who are using the English word "God" despite the fact it is not the word for "God" from their mother tongue?
ok, i stated two or three posts ago i was tired, goodbye, these questions are to my
mind, fruitless, pointless, do not lead to anything but more, fruitless and pointless
questions and contribute nothing to anyone's understanding of anything. Its a kind of
glorified pedantry of knit pickers, sifting through what was a non entity in the first place.

F

Moves
22 Dec 11

Christianity transcends both language and culture, yawn.
It may transcend culture and language, but does it not also embrace all Christians too, including Arab Christians and Indonesian Christians and Mongolian Christians?

F

Moves
22 Dec 11

ok, i stated two or three posts ago i was tired, goodbye, these questions are to my
mind, fruitless, pointless, do not lead to anything but more, fruitless and pointless
questions and contribute nothing to anyone's understanding of anything. Its a kind of
glorified pedantry of knit pickers, sifting through what was a non entity in the first place.
But you seem to have now suddenly claimed that the English word "God" means "God" in every language, when it clearly and demonstrably does not. This is a brand new assertion that you have made. So this is a strange moment for you to bail on this thread. Perhaps it is not an assertion that you feel able to explain or defend?

rc

Moves
22 Dec 11

Originally posted by FMF
But you seem to have now suddenly claimed that the English word "God" means "God" in every language, when it clearly and demonstrably does not. This is a brand new assertion that you have made. So this is a strange moment for you to bail on this thread. Perhaps it is not an assertion that you feel able to explain or defend?
😴