Religious Folks Have a Sunnier Outlook

Religious Folks Have a Sunnier Outlook

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
14 Nov 11

Originally posted by FMF
The research cited in the OP wasn't only referring to Christians when it spoke of 'religious folks'. You've only ever known one Muslim, so you can't comment on Muslims from personal experience, but how about Jews and Hindus and other religious people. Does your observation of them support the findings of the research?
I can not say for sure for most of my contact is with Christian people. We
are a happy bunch.

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
15 Nov 11

Originally posted by RJHinds
I can not say for sure for most of my contact is with Christian people. We
are a happy bunch.
I think that is true for many; after all "Ignorance is bliss", but that does not mean that converting to a Christianity (or any other religion) will make you happy - it just means that Christians are happy.

Hmmm . . .

Moves
15 Nov 11

Originally posted by FMF
How could I know the answer to that?
Am I the only one here who recalls your articulate presentation of what I called “intuitional theism”? (I would expand that to “open and intuitional theism”.)

F

Moves
15 Nov 11

Originally posted by vistesd
Am I the only one here who recalls your articulate presentation of what I called “intuitional theism”? (I would expand that to “open and intuitional theism”.)
whodey is questioning me about my "religion" when, as you suggest, surely he knows full well that I am not a religionist. I don't see how me speculating about the effect of something hypothetical, couched in a way that conforms to his religionist terms of reference (and not mine), is of any benefit or relevance to him. Even more so when, as you will have noted, he soon afterwards resorted to what struck me as a thought-annihilating cliche along the lines of 'escapism it is what the doctor ordered'. So it's as well that I did not invest too much of my time and effort typing out some speculations for him. 🙂

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
16 Nov 11

Originally posted by FMF
whodey is questioning me about my "religion" when, as you suggest, surely he knows full well that I am not a religionist. I don't see how me speculating about the effect of something hypothetical, couched in a way that conforms to his religionist terms of reference (and not mine), is of any benefit or relevance to him. Even more so when, as you will have noted, ...[text shortened]... t I did not invest too much of my time and effort typing out some speculations for him. 🙂
You are a Muslim.

F

Moves
16 Nov 11
1 edit

You are a Muslim.
If I were, I would say so. But I am not. I am not a religionist of any brand or catagory.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
17 Nov 11

Originally posted by FMF
If I were, I would say so. But I am not. I am not a religionist of any brand or catagory.
So you just like the Muslims more than Christians, like myself?

F

Moves
17 Nov 11

What are you on about?

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
17 Nov 11

Originally posted by FMF
What are you on about?
Pardon?

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
17 Nov 11

I think he would like anyone of any religion, or a Christian unlike you, more than a Christian like you.

j

Moves
22 Nov 11
3 edits

Didn't know exactly where to put this.

A Brief exchange on the idea "Let's kill God but keep Christian enfluence ".

Daniel Dennett vs Dinesh D'souza

Starting at 5 min 28 secs into the video on Scandanavian atheism and culture:

&feature=related

Moves
24 Nov 11

Originally posted by jaywill
Didn't know exactly where to put this.

A Brief exchange on the idea "Let's kill God but keep Christian influence ".

Daniel Dennett vs Dinesh D'souza

Starting at 5 min 28 secs into the video on Scandinavian atheism and culture:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1aiwcDRORI&feature=related
Yeah, Nietzsche was wrong.
It is entirely possible to have good solid morality without god, and the Scandinavian countries
are good examples of that.

I don't know many (well any actually) atheists who are nihilists and it certainly isn't a prerequisite
or consequence of atheism.

The fact that there is a direct correlation between a whole slew of indicators of societal health and
how theistic it is (with the indicators getting worse the greater the theosity) is a strong indication
that we don't need 'god', or the idea of god, to create a good moral code.
(which is unsurprising given that the evidence strongly suggests that there is no god and never has
been and thus all moral codes ever invented were invented by man)