1. S. Korea
    Moves
    20 Mar '18 10:05
    Originally posted by @fmf
    Is it also "totally justifiable" for people to be scouting settled land for weaknesses and preparing for a raid and killing or enslaving members of the rival tribe if economic circumstances make the raiding tribe decide it necessary?
    That would depend on way more information than given.
  2. S. Korea
    Moves
    20 Mar '18 10:06
    Would it be morally sound ~ according to your moral mindmap ~ for a slave to kill his or her "owner" in order to end the enslavement? In any era.
    Not in every scenario by any stretch.
  3. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    20 Mar '18 10:13
    You are dodging this question: Is the second post on this page - typed by you - your moral justification for slavery ~ by way of the scenario you described?
    If I wire you 20 pounds, will you delete your new avatar pic? I blanch every time I see it. Not a jab at your appearance - your main pic is quite good.
  4. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    20 Mar '18 10:28
    Originally posted by @romans1009
    If I wire you 20 pounds, will you delete your new avatar pic? I blanch every time I see it. Not a jab at your appearance - your main pic is quite good.
    You come across as being a little obsessed with FMF.
  5. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    20 Mar '18 17:20
    Originally posted by @divegeester
    Why are you so concerned with how I come across in here? Are you in charge of selecting the RHP Prom King?
  6. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    21 Mar '18 06:15
    Originally posted by @romans1009
    Why are you so concerned with how I come across in here? Are you in charge of selecting the RHP Prom King?
    You appear to be obsessed with FMF and his avatar for some reason; you mention it quite often.
  7. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    21 Mar '18 06:17
    You appear to be obsessed with FMF and his avatar for some reason; you mention it quite often.
    Sounds like you’re jealous
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    23 Mar '18 01:51
    Originally posted by @philokalia
    I am not sure if you guys are cut out for serious meta-ethical conversations about maximizing the good in a situation with limited capabilities. You should just watch sports or AJ+ viral videos and cry at the end of sad movies the next time you get the urge to try something deeper. It's just not for you.
    If you want to look at slavery and talk about it as having been virtuous, or misanthropic, or economically beneficial etc. that's fine. Go for it.

You don't believe in "rights" and "freedoms" of your fellow humans anyway and you refuse to recognize or assume that your fellow citizens are valuable and wanted. So it's of a piece for you, it would seem.

I think legal slavery was, morally speaking ~ a dark period in human history and I welcome the moral enlightenment that brought it to an end,consigning it - as it has been - to the reviled, illegal margins of humanity's ghastly margins, exactly where it belongs.

I'd probably have condoned slavery in the past too. There are people who condone it even today as it arguably makes commercial sense and turns poverty into a economic opportunity.
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    23 Mar '18 05:21
    If you want to look at slavery and talk about it as having been virtuous, or misanthropic, or economically beneficial etc. that's fine. Go for it.
    "Misanthropic" here should be the word "philanthropic".
  10. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    23 Mar '18 11:46
    I'm sure he loves you too Dive

No worries.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree