Rat Robertson, Jesus, and Tebow

Rat Robertson, Jesus, and Tebow

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Houston, Texas

Moves
22 Dec 11

I posted this in the Debate forum but not a lot of response. Anyway, Pat Robertson was offended by the SNL skit involving Jesus and Tim Tebow.

Televangelist Pat Robertson told viewers that a recent Saturday Night Live skit where Jesus gives advice to Christian quarterback Tim Tebow was offensive and shows a cultural inclination towards "Christian bigotry."

“If this would have been a Muslim country, and they would have shown that, there would have been bombs going off and bodies in the street.”

The [SNL] clip basically shows Jesus telling Tebow, the outspoken Denver Broncos quarterback, to tone down his testimony and on-field prayer.

The SNL skit and Robertson's response can be seen via the link below.

http://blog.chron.com/believeitornot/2011/12/pat-robertson-offended-by-snl%e2%80%99s-skit-with-jesus-and-tim-tebow/

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
22 Dec 11

Originally posted by moon1969
I posted this in the Debate forum but not a lot of response. Anyway, Pat Robertson was offended by the SNL skit involving Jesus and Tim Tebow.

[quote]Televangelist Pat Robertson told viewers that a recent Saturday Night Live skit where Jesus gives advice to Christian quarterback Tim Tebow was offensive and shows a cultural inclination towards "Christian ...[text shortened]... believeitornot/2011/12/pat-robertson-offended-by-snl%e2%80%99s-skit-with-jesus-and-tim-tebow/
I agree that no Islamic country would allow a skit like that featuring
Muhammed. He probably meant in a country that would allow a skit
with Muhammed replacing Jesus and a Muslim replacing Tebow.

Houston, Texas

Moves
22 Dec 11

Originally posted by RJHinds
Yeah

Moves
22 Dec 11
1 edit

Maybe not. Depicting Jesus this way could be taken by Muslims as an blasphemy equivalent to depicting Muhammed this way.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jesus_in_Islam

"In Islam, Jesus named as Isa [deleted: RHP-unfriendly arabic script] is considered to be a Messenger of God and the Masih (Messiah) who was sent to guide the Children of Israel [more deleted] with a new scripture, the Injīl or Gospel.[1] The belief in Jesus (and all other messengers of God) is required in Islam, and a requirement of being a Muslim. The Qur'an mentions Jesus twenty-five times, more often, by name, than Muhammad.[2][3] It states that Jesus was born to Mary (Arabic: Maryam) as the result of virginal conception, a miraculous event which occurred by the decree of God (Arabic: Allah). To aid in his ministry to the Jewish people, Jesus was given the ability to perform miracles (such as healing the blind, bringing dead people back to life, etc.), all by the permission of God rather than of his own power. According to the popular opinion and Muslim traditions, Jesus was not crucified but instead, he was raised up by God unto the heavens. This "raising" is understood to mean through bodily ascension.

Muslims believe that Jesus will return to earth near the day of judgment to restore justice and to defeat Masih ad-Dajjal ("the false messiah", also known as the Antichrist).[4][5]"

Houston, Texas

Moves
22 Dec 11

Originally posted by JS357
Maybe not. Depicting Jesus this way could be taken by Muslims as an blasphemy equivalent to depicting Muhammed this way.

"In Islam, Jesus named as Isa(Arabic: عيسى‎ ʿĪs&#257😉 is considered to be a Messenger of God and the Masih (Messiah) who was sent to guide the Childre ...[text shortened]... nd to defeat Masih ad-Dajjal ("the false messiah", also known as the Antichrist).[4][5]"
True

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
23 Dec 11
2 edits

"In Islam, Jesus named as Isa [deleted: RHP-unfriendly arabic script] is considered to be a Messenger of God and the Masih (Messiah) who was sent to guide the Children of Israel [more deleted and to defeat Masih ad-Dajjal ("the false messiah", also known as the Antichrist).[4][5]"
I think someone has that wrong. It is my understanding that Jesus is a
lesser prophet than Mohammed, so for Jesus to return as you say would
make Him greater than Mohammed. I think they believe Jesus will come
and admit that He was not the promised Messiah. Then the true messiah
will come.

P.S. I think some also believe the Holy Spirit is Mohammed.

Moves
23 Dec 11

will come.

Apparently, beliefs vary.

u
semper fi

Moves
23 Dec 11

will come.

Wrong again RJ. The previous post was correct. Well, not totally wrong, Muslims believe Mohammed and Jesus were prophets, but Mohammed was the greater of the two.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
23 Dec 11

Originally posted by usmc7257
Wrong again RJ. The previous post was correct. Well, not totally wrong, Muslims believe Mohammed and Jesus were prophets, but Mohammed was the greater of the two.
I said that in different words with the same meaning, Doofus.

Moves
23 Dec 11
1 edit

I said that in different words with the same meaning, Doofus.
If you research this you will find some different aspects of the two. Whether one is "greater" than the other is a point of difference of opinion. For example, Jesus is supposedly with God right now, ascended bodily, while Muhammad awaits judgement. Reportedly even Muhammad acknowledged Jesus' greater position. However, it could be that the rank and file hold Muhammad in higher esteem. So, opinions differ on this. And I am without direct access to the scriptures of Islam.

F

Moves
23 Dec 11

If you research this you will find some different aspects of the two. Whether one is "greater" than the other is a point of difference of opinion. For example, Jesus is supposedly with God right now, ascended bodily, while Muhammad awaits judgement. Reportedly even Muhammad acknowledged Jesus' greater position. However, it could be that the rank and file hold ...[text shortened]... teem. So, opinions differ on this. And I am without direct access to the scriptures of Islam.
Another difference is that Muslims don't worship Muhammad while Jesus is an object of worship for Christians.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
23 Dec 11
2 edits

If you research this you will find some different aspects of the two. Whether one is "greater" than the other is a point of difference of opinion. For example, Jesus is supposedly with God right now, ascended bodily, while Muhammad awaits judgement. Reportedly even Muhammad acknowledged Jesus' greater position. However, it could be that the rank and file hold ...[text shortened]... teem. So, opinions differ on this. And I am without direct access to the scriptures of Islam.
http://quod.lib.umich.edu/k/koran/

P.S.
http://www.patheos.com/Library/Islam/Origins/Scriptures.html

The work of Satan.

w

Moves
23 Dec 11
5 edits

Originally posted by FMF
Another difference is that Muslims don't worship Muhammad while Jesus is an object of worship for Christians.
Christians also view Jesus as a prophet, with the added emphasis that he was God in the flesh, thus elevating his importance above all other prophets.

Muslims, however, view both Jesus and Mohammad as prophets, yet elevate one above the other without saying Mohammad is God in the flesh. To me, this is perplexing indeed. It seems to me that we are all equals unless we are God in the flesh.

In short, Muslims view Mohammad as "the prophet" who will make necessary "corrections" to all previous prophetic writings. Mohammad is perfect in every way and is God's representative to mankind. Again, Christians do not hold this form of reverence/worship to any prophet in the Bible EXCEPT Jesus, and with good reason. Even Moses, perhaps one fo the greatest since Jesus, was a known murderer and stuttered like there was no tomorrow and committed a sin which kept him from entering the promised land.

g

Moves
23 Dec 11
1 edit

In Christiandom muhammad is considered a false prophet. The most well thought of prophet in Christiandom is Elijah the Tishbite.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
23 Dec 11

Originally posted by gambit3
In Christiandom muhammad is considered a false prophet. The most well thought of prophet in Christiandom is Elijah the Tishbite.
Muhammed is not a prophet, he is a false teacher for Satan.