Ramadan

Ramadan

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

s

At the Revolution

Moves
24 Aug 09

Originally posted by TerrierJack
Heck, I couldn't make 5 hours! Does god want you in a coma? Are there no exceptions for the young, old, and/or weak?
People under 12 are exempted but can participate if they like. Other than that, if you're not comatose, you're expected to fast, eating nothing and drinking only water.

s

At the Revolution

Moves
24 Aug 09

Originally posted by Jigtie
They may use the sunrise/fall hours of Mecca?
I'm actually not sure about that. I don't think there are too many Muslims in the poles though.

g

Pepperland

Moves
24 Aug 09

Originally posted by Proper Knob
The same question could be asked of the fasting over Lent.
The traditional purpose of Lent is the preparation of the believer — through prayer, penitence, almsgiving and self-denial — for the annual commemoration during Holy Week of the Death and Resurrection of Jesus.

As for fasting, I don't do it.

anybody seen my

underpants??

Moves
24 Aug 09

Originally posted by Proper Knob
The same question could be asked of the fasting over Lent.
one need fast during Lent, its not a requirement. most Christians give something up (self denial). My wife gives up chocolate every year. THAT'S A BIG DEAL!!

BWA Soldier

Tha Brotha Hood

Moves
24 Aug 09

Ramadan is silly.

anybody seen my

underpants??

Moves
24 Aug 09

Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
Ramadan is silly.
not the hotel the religion

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
24 Aug 09

So can you just 'pig out' at the end of the day, or do you still have to eat moderately?

s

At the Revolution

Moves
24 Aug 09

Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
Ramadan is silly.
Get out of my thread, racist.

s

At the Revolution

Moves
24 Aug 09

Originally posted by karoly aczel
So can you just 'pig out' at the end of the day, or do you still have to eat moderately?
We can eat as much as we want, but gluttony is a sin.

g

Pepperland

Moves
25 Aug 09

Originally posted by scherzo
Get out of my thread, racist.
how the hell was that racist?

Cape Town

Moves
25 Aug 09

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
it cleanses persons of in toxins that may have built up over time, it lets them feel what it is like to be hungry thus fomenting charity, it fulfils a religious vow.
The 'cleansing of toxins' bit is just nonsense cooked up by people trying to sell something. I am not sure if fasting foments charity, I rather doubt it. It does fulfill religious requirements and probably helps to keep peoples mind on the religion and cause some amount of a feeling of fellowship with fellow members - which can be both good and bad.

rc

Moves
25 Aug 09

Originally posted by twhitehead
The 'cleansing of toxins' bit is just nonsense cooked up by people trying to sell something. I am not sure if fasting foments charity, I rather doubt it. It does fulfill religious requirements and probably helps to keep peoples mind on the religion and cause some amount of a feeling of fellowship with fellow members - which can be both good and bad.
why is it nonsense?

Cornovii

North of the Tamar

Moves
25 Aug 09

why is it nonsense?
Have a butchers at this Robbie. It's not very long and explains everything.

http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/detox-diets-purging-myths

rc

Moves
25 Aug 09

mm, quite interesting noobster me ol son, however are opinions not divided, some saying that it is beneficial, others saying that it is worthless

Cornovii

North of the Tamar

Moves
25 Aug 09

mm, quite interesting noobster me ol son, however are opinions not divided, some saying that it is beneficial, others saying that it is worthless
It depends what you are trying to achieve.

If it's weight loss, detox diets work, but only because people will suddenly have a massive calorie deficiency, but that is EXTREMELY dangerous and shouldn't be tried by anyone.

Toxins are regulated by the body anyway, so people don't even need to augment those processes in anyway. It's pointless.

The only plus point of a detox diet i can see is that people drink more water, cut down on alcohol and crappy foods, and will feel better regardless of the 'toxins' allegedly being removed from their body.