1. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    20 May '19 05:581 edit
    I agree with the following quote and would like to have your views on the matter:

“If we are to accept the teaching of Jesus at all, then the only test of the reality of a man's religion is his attitude to his fellow men. The only possible proof that a man loves God is the demonstrated fact that he loves his fellow men.” -- William Barclay

An addition it could be said that anyone who claims to love God yet hates his brother is a liar.
  2. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    20 May '19 06:43
    @dj2becker said
    I agree with the following quote and would like to have your views on the matter:

“If we are to accept the teaching of Jesus at all, then the only test of the reality of a man's religion is his attitude to his fellow men. The only possible proof that a man loves God is the demonstrated fact that he loves his fellow men.” -- William Barclay
    Who is it that is requiring “proof” from you?
  3. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    20 May '19 07:051 edit
    @divegeester said
    When did I say someone required proof from me?

Do you agree or disagree with the OP?
  4. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    20 May '19 07:091 edit
    @dj2becker said
    In the title of your OP, or are you personally excluded from your premise and the quote you made?
  5. S. Korea
    Moves
    20 May '19 07:18
    @dj2becker said

An addition it could be said that anyone who claims to love God yet hates his brother is a liar.
    What a great quotation.

This reminds me of one I just came across today:

The man who cries out against evil men but does not pray for them will never know the grace of God. - St. Silouan the Athonite

We should be motivated to love each other -- and all of the moments which I was hateful and petty were probably among my greatest sins.

I hope that I am forgiven these things & I hope that I do not repeat those sins. This makes me further think that if we cannot post in a calm, loving, and affirming matter, it would be best that we just do not post. Better for our own souls, and for the souls of others.
  6. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    20 May '19 07:19
    @philokalia said
    What a great quotation.
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    20 May '19 07:212 edits
    @philokalia said
    What a great quotation.
    Is the "proof" mentioned in the OP for you, for people who interact with you or is it somehow for your God?
  8. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    20 May '19 07:22
    @divegeester said
    You just don’t get it do you?
  9. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    20 May '19 07:23
    @fmf said
    Who requires the proof?
    Who said someone required proof?
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    20 May '19 07:23
    @philokalia said
    This makes me further think that if we cannot post in a calm, loving, and affirming matter, it would be best that we just do not post. Better for our own souls, and for the souls of others.
    Everybody should post as they see fit.
  11. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    20 May '19 07:46
    @philokalia said
    What a great quotation.

This reminds me of one I just came across today:

The man who cries out against evil men but does not pray for them will never know the grace of God. - St. Silouan the Athonite

We should be motivated to love each other -- and all of the moments which I was hateful and petty were probably among my greatest sins.

I hope tha ...[text shortened]... r, it would be best that we just do not post. Better for our own souls, and for the souls of others.
    Agreed.
  12. S. Korea
    Moves
    20 May '19 07:55
    @fmf said
    Everybody should post as they see fit.
    ... and Christians should post in a way that is a collective reflection of their Christian values.

Or, they would be being hypocritical, right? Surely, you'd agree. Surely, you'd call someone out if they were posting in an unchristian fashion. I think I have even seen you do such a thing.

And that's right. ^^

But, yes, if you do not believe in an objective right & wrong and/or just believe in some subjective set of values that you determine... then, of course, the only way to post at all is how you see fit.
  13. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    20 May '19 08:02
    @dj2becker said

Do you agree or disagree with the OP?
    I say that if someone requires "proof" from me of my love for God, then they can just pound sand.

I don't have to justify myself before men. Mouths can lie, the heart does not.
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    20 May '19 08:18
    @philokalia said
    ... and Christians should post in a way that is a collective reflection of their Christian values.

Or, they would be being hypocritical, right?
    No, I think people should post in a way that is rooted in their character and experience and should interact candidly and consistently with people as they see fit. I don't really see a role for "collective" character or action on a message board. "Christian values" and dogma etc. should inform the content of their posts.
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    20 May '19 08:19
    @suzianne said
    I say that if someone requires "proof" from me of my love for God, then they can just pound sand.

I don't have to justify myself before men. Mouths can lie, the heart does not.
    Thumbs up.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree