1. Joined
    14 Jan '19
    Moves
    04 Feb '24 19:52
    Has anyone ever felt possessed by spirits? These can be holy or unholy spirits.

If you have, how does it feel? What convinced you that you were being controlled by a spirit? How long did it last? Was it more than just a one-time experience?

I had two such occurrences over a decade ago, each lasting around 24 hours. One felt holy, and the other definitely unholy. I determined which one was holy by experiencing ecstasy, and the unholy one by experiencing agony.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Then do you think that the whole idea is one, and yet, being one, is in each one of the many?

Why not, Parmenides? said Socrates.

Because one and the same thing will exist as a whole at the same time in many separate individuals, and will therefore be in a state of separation from itself.

Nay, but the idea may be like the day which is one and the same in many places at once, and yet continuous with itself; in this way each idea may be one and the same in all at the same time.

I like your way, Socrates, of making one in many places at once. You mean to say, that if I were to spread out a sail and cover a number of men, there would be one whole including many—is not that your meaning?

I think so.

And would you say that the whole sail includes each man, or a part of it only, and different parts different men?

The latter.

Then, Socrates, the ideas themselves will be divisible, and things which participate in them will have a part of them only and not the whole idea existing in each of them?

That seems to follow.

Then would you like to say, Socrates, that the one idea is really divisible and yet remains one?

Certainly not, he said.

Suppose that you divide absolute greatness, and that of the many great things, each one is great in virtue of a portion of greatness less than absolute greatness—is that conceivable?

No.

Or will each equal thing, if possessing some small portion of equality less than absolute equality, be equal to some other thing by virtue of that portion only?

Impossible.

Or suppose one of us to have a portion of smallness; this is but a part of the small, and therefore the absolutely small is greater; if the absolutely small be greater, that to which the part of the small is added will be smaller and not greater than before.

How absurd!

Then in what way, Socrates, will all things participate in the ideas, if they are unable to participate in them either as parts or wholes?

Indeed, he said, you have asked a question which is not easily answered.

Well, said Parmenides, and what do you say of another question?

What question?

I imagine that the way in which you are led to assume one idea of each kind is as follows:—You see a number of great objects, and when you look at them there seems to you to be one and the same idea (or nature) in them all; hence you conceive of greatness as one.

Very true, said Socrates.

And if you go on and allow your mind in like manner to embrace in one view the idea of greatness and of great things which are not the idea, and to compare them, will not another greatness arise, which will appear to be the source of all these?

It would seem so.

Then another idea of greatness now comes into view over and above absolute greatness, and the individuals which partake of it; and then another, over and above all these, by virtue of which they will all be great, and so each idea instead of being one will be infinitely multiplied.

But may not the ideas, asked Socrates, be thoughts only, and have no proper existence except in our minds, Parmenides? For in that case each idea may still be one, and not experience this infinite multiplication.

And can there be individual thoughts which are thoughts of nothing?

Impossible, he said.

The thought must be of something?

Yes.

Of something which is or which is not?

YouTube
  2. PenTesting
    Moves
    04 Feb '24 20:58
    @PettyTalk
    Leave a man to talk and you will figure him out.

Keep going.
  3. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    04 Feb '24 22:43
    @pettytalk said

I had two such occurrences over a decade ago, each lasting around 24 hours. One felt holy, and the other definitely unholy. I determined which one was holy by experiencing ecstasy, and the unholy one by experiencing agony.
    Can I ask, were you on drugs during either experience?
  4. Subscribermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    05 Feb '24 14:341 edit
    @pettytalk said

If you have, how does it feel? What convinced you that you were being controlled by a spirit? How long did it last? Was it more than just a one-time experience?

I had two such occurrences over a decade ago, each lasting around 24 hours. One felt holy, and the other definitely unholy. I det ...[text shortened]... g?

Yes.

Of something which is or which is not?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-ZMhNlGpo4
    Has anyone ever felt possessed by spirits?

No. Perhaps I'm not very sensitive to this kind of thing, but I've never felt possessed.
  5. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    05 Feb '24 14:53
    @mchill said
    Has anyone ever felt possessed by spirits?

No. Perhaps I'm not very sensitive to this kind of thing, but I've never felt possessed.
    If you are possessed more than once you are technically repossessed and have to move house.
  6. Subscribermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    05 Feb '24 15:21
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    If you are possessed more than once you are technically repossessed and have to move house.
    Yeah - The spirits have a Landlord - Tennent agreement that gives me 30 days to move. 😏
  7. Subscribermedullah
    Lover of History
    Northants, England
    Moves
    11 Feb '24 11:542 edits
    I’ve always been convinced that some form of bridge needs to be created to run into trouble with this sort of thing.

I haven’t personally ever had a problem but I once knew a girl I’m the eighties (twenty something) who had messed with a ouija board and incurred all sorts of problems, but in the end did get a good outcome.

More recently a friend of mine was having things go bump in the night and cutting a long story short it appears to have been something that his parents got up to again involving an ouija board.

One always should be wary of taking the stopper out of the bottle, as getting the genie back into it is a lot harder than letting it out.
  8. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    15 Feb '24 09:251 edit
    @pettytalk said

Did you require an exorcism for the “unholy” possession?

It wasn’t a ghost of a duke was it?
  9. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    16 Feb '24 19:31
    @divegeester said

The Ghost doesn't possess. He merely assimilates and controls.

I'm a bit like the Night King.
  10. Joined
    14 Jan '19
    Moves
    16 Feb '24 20:27
    @divegeester said

To satisfy your curiosity, I will tell you that in both cases, it was a matter of self-possession. We all are possessed by opposites. When we ate the forbidden fruit, we ingested both good and evil. It's not just iron that can be beaten into a sword or a plowshare. Humans are much more malleable than iron, and we can be shaped into many things, both for good or evil purposes.

We can all use a good blacksmith, when it comes to good and evil. Alternatively, we can refer to these as holy and unholy smiths, for the sake of making us good or evil.
  11. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    17 Feb '24 10:52
    @pettytalk said
    To satisfy your curiosity, I will tell you that in both cases, it was a matter of self-possession.
    So your OP claim that you were on two occasions possessed by spirits is in fact, complete bollox.
  12. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    17 Feb '24 11:23
    @divegeester said
    So your OP claim that you were on two occasions possessed by spirits is in fact, complete bollox.
    I believe you have issues believing something which happened to people you never experienced gooster.

-VR
  13. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    17 Feb '24 12:03
    Chase me!
    Chase me!
    Chase me!

🤭
  14. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    17 Feb '24 12:38
    @divegeester said
    Chase me!
    Chase me!
    Chase me!

🤭
    Avoiding the statement said to you has been NOTED!!! 🙂

-VR
  15. Joined
    14 Jan '19
    Moves
    17 Feb '24 13:37
    @very-rusty said
    I believe you have issues believing something which happened to people you never experienced gooster.

-VR
    He has issues believing his own happenings. Additionally, he has difficulty understanding the distinction between fiction and reality. He often fails to realize when others are ridiculing him in response to his attempts to annoy them. Or colloquially, he does not even know when he is being taken by the rear.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree