Please analyze this...

Please analyze this...

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
11 Jul 10

Please analyze this...

Please analyze this one issue: the seeming disconnect in play on a popular cyberspace

spirituality forum, in which an overwhelming majority of active posters profess atheism.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
11 Jul 10
1 edit

Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
[b]Please analyze this...

Please analyze this one issue: the seeming disconnect in play on a popular cyberspace

spirituality forum, in which an overwhelming majority of active posters profess atheism.

.....................................................................[/b]
Second issue:

Why all the false focus and frenzied fixation on denominations, given the fact that independent local assemblies

were established for the sake of geographic convenience in the early church? Practical format hasn't changed.

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
11 Jul 10

[b]Please analyze this...

I like this quote:
Spirituality can refer to an ultimate or immaterial reality;[1] an inner path enabling a person to discover the essence of their being; or the “deepest values and meanings by which people live.”[2]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spirituality
1 Ewert Cousins, preface to Antoine Faivre and Jacob Needleman, Modern Esoteric Spirituality, Crossroad Publishing 1992.
2 Philip Sheldrake, A Brief History of Spirituality, Wiley-Blackwell 2007 p. 1-2

Spirituality is not limited to theistic belief. There is no disconnect.

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
11 Jul 10

[b]Second issue:

Why all the false focus and frenzied fixation on denominations, given the fact that independent local assemblies

were established for the sake of geographic convenience in the early church? Practical format hasn't changed.

................................................[/b]
One could argue that this extends beyond just denominations. Why are the world's major religions so tied to certain geographical areas? Why is Islam popular in the Middle East and Christianity popular in the US?

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
11 Jul 10

Is it really an overwhelming majority of atheists? What about jaywill, robbiecarrobie, galveston, ConrauK, freakyKBH, josephw, epiphenias, zahlanzi, etc. - seems like there is a solid core of theists here too. I'm sure there are several more names available just by scanning the first page.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
11 Jul 10

Originally posted by SwissGambit
I like this quote:
Spirituality can refer to an ultimate or immaterial reality;[1] an inner path enabling a person to discover the essence of their being; or the “deepest values and meanings by which people live.”[2]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spirituality
1 Ewert Cousins, preface to Antoine Faivre and Jacob Needleman, Modern Esoteri ...[text shortened]... Blackwell 2007 p. 1-2

Spirituality is not limited to theistic belief. There is no disconnect.
Premise seems to suggest 'spirituality' is just another subjective effort or inward search

for relativistic values on a horizontal plane, rather than an absolute vertical connection.

u
Sharp Edge

Dulling my blade

Moves
12 Jul 10

Premise seems to suggest 'spirituality' is just another subjective effort or inward search

for relativistic values on a horizontal plane, rather than an absolute vertical connection.

Kind of a constrained definition of spirituality don't you think?
Its a thing shared by all of us, hard to constrict it with your own biases

D
Dasa

Brisbane Qld

Moves
12 Jul 10

To Grampy Bobby

Spirituality, is ones eternal darma, which is absolute and unchanging, but religiosity, is like the weather, it constantly changes by the whim of the practitioner.

vishva

j

Moves
12 Jul 10
1 edit

[b]Second issue:

................................................[/b]
================================

===================================

The error lies here. In each locality we see one church established. There is no instance of plural "churches" in one city.

As soon as you have one city with multiple churches you deviate from the New Testament model. And this is an indication of the work of the flesh - schisms.

One city was matched with one local church in the New Testament. Elders were appointed according to cities (Titus 1:5). When we compare this passage to Acts 14:23 we can see that the team of elders were established to care for all of the Christians in a city.

(No limitation on the number of elders is given, other then the fact that it was always a plurality, a team)

There are four occurences of the mentioning of a church in someone's house. But I believe on closer examination these were also city wide churches which usually started in someone's home.

The clearest word concerning how God viewed the establishment of practical local assemblies is in Revelation 1:11. There again the virtual name of the church is the name of the CITY. One city matched with one church:

"What you see write in a scroll and send it to the seven churches:
to Ephesus
and to Smyrna
and to Pergamos
and to Thyatira
and to Sardis
and to Philadelphia
and to Laodicea." (Rev. 1:11)

One city matched with one church. Denominationalism divides the local city wide church into several kinds of churches within one city. This is man's idea. God's way cannot be improved upon. His way was one city matched with one city wide church.

(One city wide church does not necessarily mean one meeting facility. One city matched with one church does not necessarily mean one physical meeting place. The singular church in Jerusalem met in the temple and from house to house. And conservatively, the church in Jerusalem may have well consisted of 10,000 believers at least after Peter's two gospel messages.

The one church in Jerusalem met from house to house. The thousand some Christians in Jerusalem were viewed by God as one church in Jerusalem.

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
12 Jul 10

I like to analyze stuff, but what you want me to analyze makes no sense. Do you mean "play" as in number of chess games or rating or something?

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
12 Jul 10

for relativistic values<snip>
That's fine with me.

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
12 Jul 10

Originally posted by SwissGambit
Is it really an overwhelming majority of atheists? What about jaywill, robbiecarrobie, galveston, ConrauK, freakyKBH, josephw, epiphenias, zahlanzi, etc. - seems like there is a solid core of theists here too. I'm sure there are several more names available just by scanning the first page.
yeah. I thought it was like 45/45 .. and then the rest

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
12 Jul 10

Originally posted by AThousandYoung
I like to analyze stuff, but what you want me to analyze makes no sense. Do you mean "play" as in number of chess games or rating or something?
"Please analyze this one issue: the seeming disconnect in play* on a popular cyberspace

spirituality forum, in which an overwhelming majority of active posters profess atheism."

* Idiom 'in play': simply the ball in play, part of the game, on the table, frequent focus.

P

weedhopper

Moves
12 Jul 10

"Please analyze this one issue: the seeming disconnect [b]in play* on a popular cyberspace

spirituality forum, in which an overwhelming majority of active posters profess atheism."

* Idiom 'in play': simply the ball in play, part of the game, on the table, frequent focus.

There are far more theists than atheists in the world. The atheists are just louder.

F

Moves
12 Jul 10
1 edit

Originally posted by PinkFloyd
There are far more theists than atheists in the world. The atheists are just louder.
I'm not sure about that. Fundamentalists seem to be quite loud.
If others doesn't protest about the desinformation spread by the fundamentalists, then we would regress to biblical times science, quite soon.