Philosophers corner........Debate 2

Philosophers corner........Debate 2

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

S

Moves
06 Aug 05

Originally posted by vistesd
I've only touched on Heidegger, and haven't read Foucalt at all--can you recommend a starting-place for the latter?
The Foucault reader by Paul Rabinow, I think it was printed in the 80's so it misses out on Foucaults 'Society must be defended', but other than that its a great intro πŸ™‚

Hmmm . . .

Moves
06 Aug 05

Originally posted by Serendipity
The Foucault reader by Paul Rabinow, I think it was printed in the 80's so it misses out on Foucaults 'Society must be defended', but other than that its a great intro πŸ™‚
Thank you. πŸ™‚

S

Moves
06 Aug 05

Thank you. πŸ™‚
De nada, preggo, your welcome πŸ™‚

Hmmm . . .

Moves
06 Aug 05

De nada, preggo, your welcome πŸ™‚
Just a quick addendum: although I agree with you about the relationship between will to power and existential authenticity, it went beyond that for Nietzsche, who did not confine will to power to conscious, or even sentient, beings. For him it was a natural urge (imperative?) to expansively thrive underlying all natural processes… Nevertheless, again, I agree that for self-reflective beings such as ourselves, that necessarily entails existential authenticity…

S

Moves
07 Aug 05

Just a quick addendum: although I agree with you about the relationship between will to power and existential authenticity, it went beyond that for Nietzsche, who did not confine will to power to conscious, or even sentient, beings. For him it was a natural urge (imperative?) to expansively thrive underlying all natural processes… Nevertheless, again, I ag ...[text shortened]... for self-reflective beings such as ourselves, that necessarily entails existential authenticity…
And does that exist...what is authenticity?? Reaching the tabla rasa that entered this world?

ZellulΓ€rer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
08 Aug 05

I've only touched on Heidegger, and haven't read Foucalt at all--can you recommend a starting-place for the latter?
"Forget Foucault", by Jean Baudrillard.

(Thanks for the long post of Nietszche, very enoyable).

Hmmm . . .

Moves
08 Aug 05
1 edit

And does that exist...what is authenticity?? Reaching the tabla rasa that entered this world?
I'm not sure I understand the "tabula rasa" part of your question... Are you asking is WTP a natural force/urge/process, and how do we know? My only point was that for Nietzsche it was; I think it comes clearly through his writings that WTP was for him far more than a human phenomenon...and it was clearly his counter to/extension of Schopenhauer's Will to Life. It's possible he was speaking metaphorically (which I neither minimize nor fault—a great deal of how we live in and understand our world comes through metaphor).

EDIT: Just realized I mis-read your post. No, I take authenticity in the sense of Ortega y Gassett: "Man [sic] is the only animal that needs to create himself"—the willingness to assume responsibility for that. Nietzsche saw the process of "becoming who you are" as creative as well; I can't recall if N. thought we start out as a tabula rasa; I don't think many people really do today. My limited understanding of Heidegger is that he saw it as a willingness to “own up” to an ultimately groundless existence as an individual, rather than “hiding” in a role, group or religion, etc. “That is, Dasein can own up, disown or fail to take a stand on its unsettling way of being.” (Hubert L. Dreyfus, Being in the World: A Commentary of Heidegger’s Being and Time, Division 1.)

Hmmm . . .

Moves
08 Aug 05

Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
"Forget Foucault", by Jean Baudrillard.

(Thanks for the long post of Nietszche, very enoyable).
Thank you. πŸ™‚

S

Moves
08 Aug 05

I'm not sure I understand the "tabula rasa" part of your question... Are you asking is WTP a natural force/urge/process, and how do we know? My only point was that for Nietzsche it was; I think it comes clearly through his writings that WTP was for him far more than a human phenomenon...and it was clearly his counter to/extension of Schopenhauer's Wil ...[text shortened]... Dreyfus, Being in the World: A Commentary of Heidegger’s Being and Time, Division 1.)
It's all terribly confusing... I think Shakespeare phrased it best "To thine own self be true" πŸ™‚