Philosophers corner........Debate 2

Philosophers corner........Debate 2

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

S

Moves
30 Jul 05
2 edits

"Cogito ergo sum" (Descartes 1637 Discourse on method/The meditations)

"I think therfore I am" do you agree with this statemenent or its inversion "I am therefore I think"

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
30 Jul 05

I can't disagree with a solipsistic statement.

I think Descartes' dictum is useful for illustrating egocentric thought.

When I stop thinking, what am I?

What does "am" mean?

Irreducibility.

S

Moves
30 Jul 05

Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
I can't disagree with a solipsistic statement.

I think Descartes' dictum is useful for illustrating egocentric thought.

When I stop thinking, what am I?

What does "am" mean?

Irreducibility.

So you cast a vote on the side of "I am therefore I think", I take it.

It's quite paradoxical that the creator of Cartesian dualism is creating a dualism here, i wonder if there's a middle road between these two statements "Think, am, therefore I" (Serendipity 2005) 🙂

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
30 Jul 05

Originally posted by Serendipity
So you cast a vote on the side of "I am therefore I think", I take it.

It's quite paradoxical that the creator of Cartesian dualism is creating a dualism here, i wonder if there's a middle road between these two statements "Think, am, therefore I" (Serendipity 2005) 🙂
The middle road I think is symbolised by OM as well as anything else.

"I am therefore I think" doesn't work for me either--"I" doesn't exist through thought, only lights up when thought flows.

What are you when thought ceases? (Consult any old book on Zen for more of the same 🙂 . Alan Watts isn't bad. )

S

Moves
30 Jul 05
1 edit

The middle road I think is symbolised by OM as well as anything else.

"I am therefore I think" doesn't work for me either--"I" doesn't exist through thought, only lights up when thought flows.

What are you when thought ce ...[text shortened]... ld book on Zen for more of the same 🙂 . Alan Watts isn't bad. )
Eastern philosophy versus western uh 🙂

We just cant get away from dualism 🙂

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
30 Jul 05
1 edit

Eastern philosophy versus western uh 🙂

We just cant get away from dualism 🙂
I don't think it's East vs West at all. There's a Western philosophical tradition which, although sans OM, has the same outcomes. Exponents include Meister Eckhardt, Jakob Boehme, and the unknown author of The Cloud of Unknowing. I know the Eastern tradition (as pimped by Watts et al) better, though.

I think Descartes can be incorporated into Eastern thought without much fuss.

(To get away from dualism, sit in a comfortable chair and go OM).

S

Moves
30 Jul 05

I don't think it's East vs West at all. There's a Western philosophical tradition which, although sans OM, has the same outcomes. Exponents include Meister Eckhardt, Jakob Boehme, and the unknown author of The Cloud of Unknowing. I know the Eastern tradition (as pimped by Watts et al) better, though.

I think Descartes can be incorporated into Eas ...[text shortened]... hought without much fuss.

(To get away from dualism, sit in a comfortable chair and go OM).
The trouble is these are all non-secular philosophies, Meister Eckhardt was a christian mystic (I think) and Descartes himself was a Catholic..

Byast towards faith can get in the way of authenticity just as I guess byast towards non-faith can, urm we got a problem here 😕

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
30 Jul 05

The trouble is these are all non-secular philosophies, Meister Eckhardt was a christian mystic (I think) and Descartes himself was a Catholic..

Byast towards faith can get in the way of authenticity just as I guess byast towards non-faith can, urm we got a problem here 😕
For me, he best, or at least most readable and accessible, mystical text from within the Western tradition is Parzival (Wolfram von Eschenbach). The Grail quest as spiritual growth metaphor. It corresponds with Sufi and Vedic thought, quite a production job.

I don't know enough about Eckhardt etc to comment about how overtly Christian they were; I take what I want from them, to be frank. I don't believe in any objective truth.

(Is cancer a form of spiritual growth?)

S

Moves
30 Jul 05

For me, he best, or at least most readable and accessible, mystical text from within the Western tradition is Parzival (Wolfram von Eschenbach). The Grail quest as spiritual growth metaphor. It corresponds with Sufi and Vedic thought, quite a production job.

I don't know enough about Eckhardt etc to comment about how overtly Christian they were; I ...[text shortened]... to be frank. I don't believe in any objective truth.

(Is cancer a form of spiritual growth?)
Objectivity.....urm are we capable of it..I doubt it

But I do belive spirituality is the way forward but a secular spirituality

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
30 Jul 05

Objectivity.....urm are we capable of it..I doubt it

But I do belive spirituality is the way forward but a secular spirituality
OK what do you mean by secular. Examples are fine.

(for me, the Zen type of spurchuality is secular, as is the Grail-quest. The grail is a symbol, not a god.)

S

Moves
30 Jul 05
1 edit

OK what do you mean by secular. Examples are fine.

(for me, the Zen type of spurchuality is secular, as is the Grail-quest. The grail is a symbol, not a god.)
The definition of secular isn't not believing in god:

"SECULAR. concerned with the affairs of this world, not spiritual or sacred; not ecclesiastical or monastic"

"SECULARISM. belief that morality or education should not be based on religion" (1984 The Oxford Dictionary)

l

London

Moves
30 Jul 05

"Cogito ergo sum" (Descartes 1637 Discourse on method/The meditations)

"I think therfore I am" do you agree with this statemenent or its inversion "I am therefore I think"
I think Descartes ran into problems long before he got to the "I think" bit in his Meditations.

That said, I probably fall in the "I am, therefore ..." school. Existence of the being would ontologically preceed the existence of the mind.

S

Moves
30 Jul 05

Originally posted by lucifershammer
I think Descartes ran into problems long before he got to the "I think" bit in his Meditations.

That said, I probably fall in the "I am, therefore ..." school. Existence of the being would ontologically preceed the existence of the mind.
"Existence of the being would ontologically preceed the existence of the mind. " lucifershammer

How so!?

Hmmm . . .

Moves
30 Jul 05

Behind all the makings of your mind,
before all images, thoughts and words,
can you find an “I” that’s not just another thought,
another making of your mind?

If not, who is “I”?
If so, how will you tell
anyone else?

f
Bruno's Ghost

In a hot place

Moves
30 Jul 05

Originally posted by vistesd
Behind all the makings of your mind,
before all images, thoughts and words,
can you find an “I” that’s not just another thought,
another making of your mind?

If not, who is “I”?
If so, how will you tell
anyone else?
I still maintain "I think, therefore , I think I am." is more precise.
Although I guess maybe , "I am, therefore, I am I think." Sounds ok too.

How about, "I think, therefore maybe I am, I guess."