Phikokalia's Virtue Oriented World

Phikokalia's Virtue Oriented World

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

S. Korea

Moves
20 Jun 18

Originally posted by @fmf
I don't perceive the stance you are taking amounts to "larger conclusions". I don't see what you are offering as "deep" or "meaningful" at all.
I've been very busy these last few days but I haven't forgot.

I am jus there to ask... Would you like to tell us what the basis of rights is?

Would you like to talk about why rights often fade into the background and become meaningless?

Would you like to try to talk about this deeper?

Do you know why this is thought of as "deeper?"

F

Moves
20 Jun 18

Originally posted by @philokalia
I've been very busy these last few days but I haven't forgot.

I am jus there to ask... Would you like to tell us what the basis of rights is?

Would you like to talk about why rights often fade into the background and become meaningless?

Would you like to try to talk about this deeper?

Do you know why this is thought of as "deeper?"
I don't see you as talking about this in a "deep" or "deeper" way. Human rights, when enshrined in law, are legally binding protections for citizens from the actions of the powerful and from the actions of each other. It's a warts-and-all thing in reality, of course, bad stuff happens, and it doesn't always work. Your proposal that if everyone was virtuous, then we wouldn't need human rights just sounds silly to me. I don't think it's "deep".

S. Korea

Moves
20 Jun 18

I don't see you as talking about this in a "deep" or "deeper" way. Human rights, when enshrined in law, are legally binding protections for citizens from the actions of the powerful and from the actions of each other. It's a warts-and-all thing in reality, of course, bad stuff happens, and it doesn't always work. Your proposal that if everyone was virtuous, then we wouldn't need human rights just sounds silly to me. I don't think it's "deep".
So what is the source of human rights? how do you get to the conclusion of human rights being real, immutable, etc.?

F

Moves
20 Jun 18

So what is the source of human rights? how do you get to the conclusion of human rights being real, immutable, etc.?
They're obviously not "immutable". What gave you that idea? You sound utterly naive. Look at the world around you.

S. Korea

Moves
20 Jun 18

They're obviously not "immutable". What gave you that idea? You sound utterly naive. Look at the world around you.
Alright.

So we have these values; they are not absolute.

What did they come from?

Would you like to ... compose a longer series of words about these things that you really, truly believe in?

See, this is what I'm talking about when i discuss your issues with lack of depth and lack of forthrightness.

F

Moves
21 Jun 18

Alright.

So we have these values; they are not absolute.

What did they come from?

Would you like to ... compose a longer series of words about these things that you really, truly believe in?

See, this is what I'm talking about when i discuss your issues with lack of depth and lack of forthrightness.
Actually, I am happy with my depth and forthrightness. The need and demand and struggle for protections come from the citizens. Freedom is hard work. People don't always agree what it is exactly. We agree about how virtue is really great, although, again, people do not always agree about what "virtue" is and how it manifests itself. Can you still not bring yourself to approve of freedom of the press in Indonesia? Thanks for your suggestions.

F

Moves
21 Jun 18
1 edit

... I need to point out to you why you are being foolish, naive, and childish for still believing that schoolboy tripe as relevant or part of a real model of how things work.
Well done to you for typing out stuff like this that you think is "deep" and posting it.

F

Moves
21 Jun 18
1 edit

["Muh Rights" makes] fun of Southern / ghetto English, but it has gone on to be a general catch all for the way that stupid people talk. We've all known the people who, reagrdless of region, speak like someone who never reads books.
Thanks for more of this stuff that demonstrates what you seem to think makes you sound "deep".

S. Korea

Moves
21 Jun 18

FMF.

You put my full government name on a thread that attempted to portray me as someone who hated the mainstream narrative about rights & freedom, and my full government name still has this come up on the second page of results...

And now you do not even want to like go into your justification as to why you have these beliefs in rights...

So, I am convinced that you were never interested in defending your beliefs on rights, and discussing rights and convincing me of their greatness...

You really just wanted to harangue me on the issue.

WACK.

F

Moves
21 Jun 18

You put my full government name on a thread that attempted to portray me as someone who hated the mainstream narrative about rights & freedom, and my full government name still has this come up on the second page of results
I quoted you verbatim. I gave the link to where you'd made the comments. Your own assertions and claims. The context. You had the thread removed. And yet you are still mewling about it. What's the matter with you.

F

Moves
21 Jun 18

And now you do not even want to like go into your justification as to why you have these beliefs in rights.
I've said plenty. If you look back over the previous pages, you actually just blank out most of what's put to you. Meanwhile, I have acknowledged that you think "virtue" is really, really great, and that you find rights and freedoms meaningless. I think we've both presented our views well enough. I don't think you are "deep". You don't think I am "deep". I think you are sanctimonious and naive. You think I am "foolish, naive, and childish" and that my viewpoint is "schoolboy tripe". The conversation is what it is.

F

Moves
21 Jun 18

So we have these values [with regard to human rights]; they are not absolute. What did they come from?
For me personally, as a moral agent? Where have my values with regard to human rights come from? Well, I'd say they are rooted in the imperative: "Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself" which is a value or an attitude or an approach to life that I got from the way I was raised and a life principle which I did not lose when I lost my Christian faith.

S. Korea

Moves
21 Jun 18

FMF,

What's your name? Or are you uncomfortable with us knowing it?

F

Moves
27 Jun 18

FMF,

What's your name? Or are you uncomfortable with us knowing it?
I'd say about 20 people here know my real name because I've told them. If I'd wanted everyone to know my name, I'd have used it as my screen name when I joined perhaps. I am not going to tell you what my name is because I find you to be rather creepy. Here you are for example, suddenly asking me my name instead of addressing what I have said on the last page or two.

S. Korea

Moves
28 Jun 18

My mistake was that I simply registered with my Facebook and hadn't bothered changing my name, and I never anticipated that the RHP forum has some real loons on it...

But, anyhow: there is literally nothing to address.

Every time I've asked you to have a deeper discussion on some topic in here, you've simply refused and wanted to bring it back to some surface point that I imagine, in your head, is a "gotcha" point.