1. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    28 Jan '19 08:051 edit
    Paul wrote of his gospel. He used the phrase "my gospel". He owned it and it is the Gospel of Christ.

Here he says what he taught was his gospel which men will be judged by in the last judgment.

In the day when God shall judge the secrets of men according to my gospel by Jesus Christ." (Rom 2:16)

Expect to be examined by God according to how you received or rejected Paul's gospel.
  2. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    28 Jan '19 08:202 edits
    Though spoke of the gospel as "my gospel" he does not claim to have invented it. He says he received it from previous apostles and from a revelation of Jesus Christ.

Here Paul says that his gospel was received by him as it was delivered to him by others.

Now I make known to you, brothers, the gospel which I announced to you, which also you received, in which also you stand,

Through which also you are being saved, if you hold fast the word which I announced to you as the gospel, unless you have believed in vain.

For I delivered to you, first of all, that which also I received, that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, and that He was buried, and that He has been raised on the third day according to the Scriptures;

And that He appeared to Cephas, then to the twelve; Then He appeared to over five hundred brothers at one time, of whom the majority remain until now, but some have fallen asleep;

Then He appeared to James, then to all the apostles; And last of all He appeared to me also, as to one born prematurely.

For I am the least of the apostles, who am not fit to be called an apostle, because I persecuted the church of God." (1 Cor. 15:1-8)

The words you just read were written before the writing of Matthew, Mark, Luke and John. New Testament scholars tell us that chronologically this letter's writing pre-dates the four gospels.

What Paul preached as the major facts of the ministry of Jesus was passed on to him and he faithfully passed on the facts to the churches.

This formula - "I delivered to you, first of all, that which also I received" was a style of statement used by teachers to indicate their transmission of their expertise from others who taught before them.
  3. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    28 Jan '19 08:313 edits
    Though Paul tells the Corinthians that he delivered to them what he had himself received from other teachers he also says he considered also that God directly taught him.

"For I make known to you, brothers, concerning the gospel announced by me, that it is not according to man. For neither did I received it from man, nor was I taught it, but I received it through a revelation of Jesus Christ." (Gal. 1:12)

He was faithful to what he learned from others. But Jesus Christ directly revealed the truth to him. The next verse reminds the Galatians that he was a persecutor of the Christians. No mere man could have changed his obsessive dedication to wiping out the new religion.

"For you have heard of my manner of life formerly in Judaism, that I persecuted the church of God excessively and ravaged it." (v.13)

Only the Triune God Himself could open Paul's heart to hear the gospel. He said "when it pleased God ... to reveal His Son in me" (v.15)
  4. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    28 Jan '19 12:48
    “Gospel” just means “good news”.
  5. Standard membercaissad4
    Child of the Novelty
    San Antonio, Texas
    Moves
    28 Jan '19 13:06
    @sonship said
    Paul wrote of his gospel. He used the phrase "my gospel". He owned it and it is the Gospel of Christ.

Here he says what he taught was his gospel which men will be judged by in the last judgment.
    In the day when God shall judge the secrets of men according to my gospel by Jesus Christ." (Rom 2:16)

Expect to be examined by God according to how you received or rejected Paul's gospel.
    Sure thing. Just more manufactured NT crap.
    And the Mormons say Joseph Smith will be there to judge.
    More New Testament rubbish.
  6. S. Korea
    Moves
    28 Jan '19 13:39
    @divegeester said
    ... and Angel literally is from 'aggelos' in Greek, meaning 'messenger,' but it corresponds to the concept of an angel.

Perhaps Gospel also has a minimal meaning, but it has taken on a great big context and a great big truth.
  7. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    28 Jan '19 14:35
    @philokalia said
    ... and Angel literally is from 'aggelos' in Greek, meaning 'messenger,' but it corresponds to the concept of an angel.

Perhaps Gospel also has a minimal meaning, but it has taken on a great big context and a great big truth.
    Not sure how this is connected, except in that they are both "from God".

The Gospel IS Good News, but it means far more than that.

The word angel means messenger, and that's exactly what an angel is, a messenger. But that's all it is.
  8. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    28 Jan '19 15:071 edit
    @Philokalia

Perhaps Ephesians is the book by Paul which speaks in the grandest terms about what this good news consists of - "the unsearchable riches of Christ".

"To me, less than the least of all saints, was this grace given to announce to the Gentiles [b]the unsearchable riches of Christ as the gospel." (Eph. 3:8)

His goesp is about a living Person who is boundless is value, fathomless is quality, and unsearchable rich - the Lord Jesus Christ.
  9. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    28 Jan '19 15:102 edits
    @sonship said

Paul's Gospel is The Gospel

Exactly. Paul's gospel is the gospel upon which Christianity is based. This is what I've been saying all along.

The gospel preached by Jesus while He walked the Earth is a very different gospel. In short, the gospel preached by Jesus is about salvation through righteousness: One must become truly righteous - cease to sin - for salvation / for eternal life / to live in the kingdom. When Jesus sent the disciples to preach the gospel, it was to preach HIS gospel. Paul's gospel had yet to be invented.
  10. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    28 Jan '19 15:161 edit
    Some people think they know deeply about Paul's gospel. Their book of Romans seems only to go up to chapter 4.

There is much beyond chapter 4's Justification for personal salvation in Romans. Anyone thinking Paul's gospel is only about personal salvation and climaxes in the 4th chapter only has a superficial view of the Gospel.

Some others go up to chapter 8. This is a deeper appreciation. Yet Romans does not stop at chapter 8 either. You really must appreciate all the way to chapter 16. There Paul's burden to explain "the Gospel of God" (1:1) is fully discharged.

I'll come back to latter.
  11. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    28 Jan '19 15:285 edits
    So Paul's gospel is a faithful carrying on of Christ's ministry. And he said anyone preaching another gospel (including even himself), to the Galatian churches which he didn't preach, should be accursed.

But even we or an angel out of heaven should announce to you a gospel beyond that which we have announced to you, let him be accursed. As we have said before, now also I say again, If anyone accounces to you a gospel beyond that which you have received, let him be accursed." (Gal. 1:8-9)

So:
    If Paul should CHANGE and preach another gospel, he says let him be accursed.

If an angel from heaven comes and announces another gospel, Paul says "let him be accursed" as well.

If I announce another gospel beside that which Paul and his team preached to the Galatian churches, I should be accursed.

If ThinkOfOne comes announcing another gospel besides Paul's gospel, let him be accursed as well.

That Apostle was serious that no one pervert his gospel which was the true message of Jesus Christ.
  12. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    28 Jan '19 15:361 edit
    I will say up front right now that apart from detailed discussion on circumcision there is nothing significant taught by Paul that we cannot find in the four Gospels of Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John plus Acts.

Paul was faithful.
    Paul SO faithful that he became one who actually had the ground to rebuke Peter for being weak in a moment of unfaithfulness to Christ's teaching.

In spite of the fact that the younger man Paul rebuked the senior apostle Peter, Peter humbly acknowledged that Christians should LISTEN to Paul for he had wisdom from God.

Peter, the arguably leading disciple and apostle, recommended the Apostle Paul.
  13. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    28 Jan '19 15:451 edit
    Peter the senior apostle whom the younger man Paul rebuked publicly, recommended that the Christians regard the wisdom of Paul.

"And count the long-suffering of our Lord to be salvation, even as our beloved brother Paul, according to the wisdom given to him, wrote to you.

As also in all his letters, speaking in them concerning these tings, in which some things are hard to understand, which the unlearned and unstable twist, as also the rest of the Scripture, to their own destruction." (2 Peter 3:15,16)

Peter says some things Paul wrote are hard to understand. He warns that some twist Paul's words as they do other Scripture.

Regardless of some of Paul's teachings being hard to understand, Peter recognized Paul had experience and wisdom as an apostle of Christ.
  14. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    28 Jan '19 15:59
    @divegeester

Paul preached a "good news" which he compared to the vastness of the unmeasurable universe in scope. This vastness no individual can appreciate fully. It takes all the saints corporately to trek through this hugely expansive love of Christ

"That Christ may make His home in your hearts through faith. that you, being rooted and grounded in love, may be full of strength to apprehend with all the saints what the breadth and length and height and depth are

And to know the knowledge surpassing love of Christ, that you may be filled unto all the fullness of God." (Eph. 3:17-19)

Paul speaks of Christ as the infinite dimensions of the universe. He is unsearchable in scope and He can fill all the saved unto all the fullnesss of God.
  15. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    28 Jan '19 16:091 edit
    @ThinkOfOne

Exactly. Paul's gospel is the gospel upon which Christianity is based. This is what I've been saying all along.

Unless you repent you should be accursed for announcing another gospel, a different gospel. One who is qualified to be accursed cannot teach Christians of the authentic Gospel.

Instead of receiving your "another gospel" we should pray either for your repentance or that your work be destroyed by God because it is leading men and women astray.

" I marvel that you are so quickly removing from Him who has called you in the grace of Christ to a different gospel.,

Which is not another gospel, only there are some who trouble you and desire to pervert the gospel of Christ.

But if even we or an angel out of heaven should announce to you a gospel beyond that which we have announced to you, let him be accursed.

As we have said before, now also I say again, If anyone announces to you a gospel beyond that which you have received, let him be accursed." (Gal. 1:6-9)

Paul was not trying to please men. I fear that you are trying to please men. You are perverting the New Testament to try to get on the good side of unbelievers and please them with "another gospel" and "another Jesus."

For am I now trying to win the assent of men or of God? Or am I seeking to please men?

If I were still trying to please men, I would not be a slave of Christ." (v.10)

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree