Palin, Southern Baptist and hypocrisy

Palin, Southern Baptist and hypocrisy

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

T

Moves
18 Sep 08

Originally posted by PinkFloyd
All those Levitical laws (The Law) were meant for the people of the OT, and for their time. Jesus came, fulfilled the law, and died for our sins, so that we are no longer condemned by the law (This would be The Gospel). There's no contradiction, but there's also no reason to be obtuse about it.
Many seem to point to Levitical Law as a rationalization for their bigotry toward homosexuality. Do you believe that they are in error?

Pimp!

Gangster Land

Moves
18 Sep 08

Originally posted by josephw
I know exactly what your question is. The problem is you don't.

If you knew what you were talking about you would understand exactly what I'm talking about.

But you don't.

You are unenlightened. You're an unbeliever. You don't get it.

If you did you would plainly see that there are no contradictions or conflicts in the Bible. But again, without ...[text shortened]... roping in the dark.

You need to see the light! 😉

Don't take offense. None intended.
...and if you weren't delusional, you'd know how crazy you sound.

Ursulakantor

Pittsburgh, PA

Moves
19 Sep 08

There is no conflict between Jesus' teachings and the law.

Levitical Law explicitly commands that adulterous women shall be stoned.

Jesus indicates that one ought to reconsider the Law.

How is this not a conflict?

My comment concerning the teachings of scripture as it relates to women has been taken out of context by one who neither believes in nor is enlightened by the Holy Spirit to speak to any issue concerning the teachings of the Bible in the first place

Are we to gather that you don't believe that the command to stone
adulterous women is part of your belief system even though it's in the Bible?

and secondly, you are also ill equipped to throw in your two cents worth because you don't see how Rajk misconscrewed the meaning of my comment in the first place.

Actually, it was you who misspoke, and Rajk called you on it. Just because
you think he should 'know what you mean' doesn't mean that you don't
have an obligation to write what you mean.

You lose! And so has Rajk. 😠

For an old man, you're awfully juvenile. It's not a competition. It's a
request that you make sense when you bother to type something in the
forum and that you have the humility to confess that you were unclear when
you don't make sense.

Nemesio

Ursulakantor

Pittsburgh, PA

Moves
19 Sep 08

If you knew what you were talking about you would understand exactly what I'm talking about.

But you don't.

If you did you would plainly see that there are no contradictions or conflicts in the Bible. But again, without ...[text shortened]... roping in the dark.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Are you serious??!??!?!??!?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

P

weedhopper

Moves
19 Sep 08

Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
Many seem to point to Levitical Law as a rationalization for their bigotry toward homosexuality. Do you believe that they are in error?
Yes, I do.

Cape Town

Moves
19 Sep 08

But you don't.

It seems that the problem is that when you receive the holy spirit you start to speak in tongues. Tongues that no unbelievers can understand. I find that the more fundamentalist and bible thumping a Christian is, the harder it is to understand what they are saying. I often notice that you talk at length on a subject in a kind of code language that is really difficult for an unenlightened person like me to decipher. All I ask is that you recognize that you are speaking in code and at least attempt to either note that when addressing the unenlightened or if possible, do some translation for us.

Regarding contradictions in the Bible, my issue is that when they are brought up, there is a strong tendency to deny their existence, but an explanation for why they appear to be contradictions to us unenlightened is rarely forthcoming. If you are truly enlightened, surely you would then be able to explain how some of the apparent contradictions are really meant to be read?

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
19 Sep 08

Originally posted by twhitehead
It seems that the problem is that when you receive the holy spirit you start to speak in tongues. Tongues that no unbelievers can understand. I find that the more fundamentalist and bible thumping a Christian is, the harder it is to understand what they are saying. I often notice that you talk at length on a subject in a kind of code language that is real ...[text shortened]... uld then be able to explain how some of the apparent contradictions are really meant to be read?
In this forum some have used the term "magic decoder ring" to make light of the Christians' claim of being able to know spiritual truths unavailable to the unbeliever.

Oddly enough, I think "magic decoder ring" is a good metaphor for how it is that we Christians know the truth.

The word of God, the Bible, is kinda like a magic decoder ring. When one becomes a Christian, at the moment of conversion, the Holy Spirit baptises the believer into Christ. When that happens the believer becomes a new creature. The Spirit of Christ comes into the believer and it then becomes possible, with the Holy Spirit indwelling, for that believer to understand the word of God in a way that the unbeliever is not capable of doing.

Now that may sound like gibberish to you, but that is exactly what the Bible says about what happens when one trusts in what Christ did at the cross on their behalf. I can easily show you where it says so, in the Bible, everything I just said, but that would be fruitless since most of those who are reading this will find any excuse to contradict what is clearly taught in the Bible. Then I become the fool for making known the truth about what the Bible teaches.

"It seems that the problem is that when you receive the holy spirit you start to speak in tongues."

Let me make something perfectly clear to you concerning speaking in tongues. What happened at Pentecost was in fulfillment of prophecy, and was in connection with the nation of Israel. Unfortunately there are those who have trusted in Christ, and who I believe are sincere believers, but fail to understand, properly, why they believe the way they do. They have some things mixed up. (I won't go into detail here in the forum concerning this subject. It would take too long.)

Don't miss understand me here. I'm not saying that the Bible can't be understood by someone who isn't a believer. But there are some things, some spiritual truths, that go beyond what is printed on the page, and can only be understood spiritually. Sorry, that's just the way it is. How could it be otherwise? If it where not true, then Christianity would be hollow indeed.

The Bible is very simple, but not simplistic. I run the risk of sounding like the fool whenever I get into this stuff, but that's just the way it is.

I'm no fool. I'm not perfect by a long shot. And I do get things wrong now and then, But I can tell you this, and I don't care what anyone says about it, I know doctrine. I understand what's going on. Not perfectly, but enough to say I have complete confidence in God's word the Bible, and that it can be relied upon for all matters concerning life and living.

T

Moves
19 Sep 08
1 edit

Originally posted by PinkFloyd
Yes, I do.
Good for you. Jesus did not speak out against homosexuality. It's unfortunate how so many continue to use the words of other than Jesus to inform their beliefs.

Ursulakantor

Pittsburgh, PA

Moves
19 Sep 08

Oddly enough, I think "magic decoder ring" is a good metaphor for how it is that we Christians know the truth.
So, what you're advocating is blind belief. You have to believe even though it doesn't make sense
before the Holy Spirit will descend and 'make it make sense.'

So, you think that God basically wants a leap of faith -- a Abraham-like sacrificing of the son
named 'Reason' -- before He will imbue the leaper with the knowledge that his fall will be broken
by the light of truth.

Basically, you're saying that the initial leap of faith is unreasonable (as in lacking outward justification)
and that post facto the Holy Spirit provides the reason through inspiration.

There's another word for this: Delusion.

Nemesio

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
19 Sep 08

..The Bible is very simple, but not simplistic. I run the risk of sounding like the fool whenever I get into this stuff, but that's just the way it is. .
Would you say that Christ sounded like a fool when He explained the truths of the Bible to the Jews, the Pharisees or the common man? Did he speak in tongues, in terminology only Christians can understand?

No. They all marvelled at His wisdom and authority. They were amazed at the simplicity and clarity of his teachings even when they were in parables.

I suggest that YOUR words bear no resemblance to the teachings of Christ, hence the reason for your insecurity and lack of authority.

k
knightmeister

Uk

Moves
19 Sep 08
1 edit

Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
Good for you. Jesus did not speak out against homosexuality. It's unfortunate how so many continue to use the words of other than Jesus to inform their beliefs.
You are right about this...but....

Maybe you yourself are one of these unfortunate souls since you will not confirm that you believe in the active Father God that Jesus taught.

The words and commandments of Jesus demand this belief ("Love the Lord your God with all your heart...etc" )

It seems that YOU do not use Jesus's words to inform YOUR beliefs? Curious.....

L

Moves
20 Sep 08

In this forum some have used the term "magic decoder ring" to make light of the Christians' claim of being able to know spiritual truths unavailable to the unbeliever.

The word of God, the Bible, is kinda like a magic decoder ring. When one be ...[text shortened]... e, and that it can be relied upon for all matters concerning life and living.
I'm no fool.

You coulda fooled us!

L

Moves
20 Sep 08

Originally posted by knightmeister

Maybe you yourself are one of these unfortunate souls since you will not confirm that you believe in the active Father God that Jesus taught.

The words and commandments of Jesus demand this belief ("Love the Lord your God with all your heart...etc" )

It seems that YOU do not use Jesus's words to inform YOUR beliefs? Curious.....

Nice segue back into your stalker routine.

k
knightmeister

Uk

Moves
20 Sep 08

Originally posted by LemonJello
[b]You are right about this...but....

Nice segue back into your stalker routine.[/b]
Stalkers peer through windows and go through rubbish.

I'm simply wondering whether ToO believes in Jesus's greatest commandment or not. It's a reasonable question utterly in line with the content of his very own posts.

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
21 Sep 08

Originally posted by Nemesio
So, what you're advocating is blind belief. You have to believe even though it doesn't make sense
before the Holy Spirit will descend and 'make it make sense.'

So, you think that God basically wants a leap of faith -- a Abraham-like sacrificing of the son
named 'Reason' -- before He will imbue the leaper with the knowledge that his fall will be broken ...[text shortened]... s the reason through inspiration.

There's another word for this: Delusion.

Nemesio
What I am advocating is faith in God's word the Bible.

Something you have demonstrated you are unwilling to do.