Noah ~ the Islamic prophet

Noah ~ the Islamic prophet

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Moves
26 May 14

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
no not really, an embellishment upon what?
An embellishment of the fact that he probably lived for about 70 years tops, maybe a few more. "950 years" is a metaphor for greatness or something, right. It is an attempt the embellish the profile of this man.

rc

Moves
26 May 14
1 edit

Originally posted by FMF
An embellishment of the fact that he probably lived for about 70 years tops, maybe a few more. "950 years" is a metaphor for greatness or something, right. It is an attempt the embellish the profile of this man.
Perhaps but what if he did live for 950 years?

F

Moves
26 May 14

Perhaps but what if he did live for 950 years?
There is no reason to think he did. I would say accepting at face value such a gratuitous embellishment would call into question the judgement and interpretation skills of the person credulous enough to do so. I would then be suspicious of their comprehension skills every time they come across a metaphor, an embellishment, a piece of hyperbole, imagery, ambiguous words and the like. Anything they had to interpret would have an asterisk over it. But if you want to go ahead and say you reckon Noah lived for 950 years, then feel free. Don't mind me.

rc

Moves
26 May 14

Originally posted by FMF
There is no reason to think he did. I would say accepting at face value such a gratuitous embellishment would call into question the judgement and interpretation skills of the person credulous enough to do so. I would then be suspicious of their comprehension skills every time they come across a metaphor, an embellishment, a piece of hyperbole, imagery, ambiguou ...[text shortened]... you want to go ahead and say you reckon Noah lived for 950 years, then feel free. Don't mind me.
hardly, one only needs to make room for the supernatural.

F

Moves
26 May 14

hardly, one only needs to make room for the supernatural.
Noah supposedly living for 950 years: for you is it a sort of "metaphor" for greatness or some such, or is it for you a biographical fact?

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
26 May 14
2 edits

Originally posted by FMF
Noah supposedly living for 950 years: for you is it a sort of "metaphor" for greatness or some such, or is it for you a biographical fact?
Comparing the stories of Noah in the Bible and the Qur'an, one comes across these statements:

After the flood Noah lived 350 years. Altogether, Noah lived 950 years, and then he died. Genesis 9:28-29

Indeed, We sent Noah to his people, and he tarried among them a thousand years, all but fifty; so the Flood seized them, while they were evildoers. S. 29:14 Arberry

Obviously, Muhammad had heard of Noah's age of 950 years, but he either did not correctly understand it or his memory failed him when he included this information in the Qur'an. He apparently thought that it was Noah's age at the time of the flood.

Actually, taking a second look at the formulation of S. 29:14, one could even get the impression that that the 950 years do not refer to Noah's age at the time of the Flood, but to the length of the period in which he was sent to his people in order to warn them of the impending judgment, i.e. to the time span of being called by God to be a warner of the Flood.

Be that as it may, one thing is clear: Muhammad mistakenly assigned the full life span of Noah to only part of his life.

http://www.answering-islam.org/Quran/Contra/noahs_age.html

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
27 May 14

Islam has these embellishments, for example they hold that Solomon had the ability to understand animals including bird song.
Talking to animals!
That would be wild - who would believe that?
It would bring the whole bible into question!

Z

Moves
27 May 14

Originally posted by wolfgang59
Talking to animals!
everything is into question, at any point. however , just because there is some stupidity in one chapter doesn't mean there is some in another chapter that has nothing to do with the first.

rc

Moves
27 May 14
1 edit

Originally posted by wolfgang59
Talking to animals!
Its an Islamic belief and finds no support in Biblical scripture.

rc

Moves
27 May 14

Originally posted by FMF
Its a biblical fact.

Cornovii

North of the Tamar

Moves
27 May 14

Its a biblical fact.
How does one go about substantiating this 'Biblical fact' Robert?

rc

Moves
27 May 14

Originally posted by Proper Knob
How does one go about substantiating this 'Biblical fact' Robert?
You get a Bible, you pick it up, you turn the pages, you locate a scripture, you read it and you come to the conclusion that yes, its in the Bible. How hard can it be?

F

Moves
27 May 14

You get a Bible, you pick it up, you turn the pages, you locate a scripture, you read it and you come to the conclusion that yes, its in the Bible. How hard can it be?
But do you believe it to be an 'actual' fact based on its inclusion in a book of Hebrew mythology?

rc

Moves
27 May 14

Originally posted by FMF
But do you believe it to be an 'actual' fact based on its inclusion in a book of Hebrew mythology?
Whether I believe it or not is irrelevant, its there. I would also like to take the occasion to point out the the Hebrew portion of scripture contains history, particularly the history of the nation of Israel and the Kings of Israel and Judah, none of which remotely resembles a mythology.

F

Moves
27 May 14

Whether I believe it or not is irrelevant, its there. I would also like to take the occasion to point out the the Hebrew portion of scripture contains history, particularly the history of the nation of Israel and the Kings of Israel and Judah, none of which remotely resembles a mythology.
Do you believe that the information about Noah living for 950 years is an historical fact or a piece of mythology?