Never doubt the Word of God!!!  - email

Never doubt the Word of God!!! - email

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

s
Kichigai!

Osaka

Moves
18 Feb 06

Originally posted by dj2becker
[b]I'd like to point out that no true believers in the FLYING SPAGHETTI MONSTER have [b]ever died.[/b]

That just proves that there have never been any true believers in the FLYING SPAGHETTI MONSTER. 😏[/b]
Or that your god is false. Isn't it funny how even a single line of text can be ambiguous enough to support multiple meanings?

Moves
18 Feb 06

Originally posted by scottishinnz
Or that your god is false. Isn't it funny how even a single line of text can be ambiguous enough to support multiple meanings?
Or that your god is false.

Explain.

w
your king.

H.Q.

Moves
18 Feb 06

Originally posted by stocken
Bon Scott was God. The real God, that cannot be denied. The christian God is a bleach imposter not even worthy to shine my knob.

I dare you oh mighty imposter, the one commonly referred to as the christian God. Prove me wrong by having me removed from this earth within the week or let the world know (well RHP:ers at least) that next to Bon you're a con.

Bon Scott rules!
i read this and thought i was writing about you. no wait i wouldn't even care.

DC
Flamenco Sketches

Spain, in spirit

Moves
18 Feb 06
3 edits

My story actually starts with my parents.
I suppose it's only appropriate to thank you, dj2, for sharing something obviously personal to you. I've read bits and pieces of this on other threads.

You must see by now that you never really had a choice in your faith. Your parents were devout believers. Your prolonged exposure to hardcore Christianity at such an early, impressionable age, coupled with the obvious flash point of an African Mission, left little room for questioning or growth in any other direction. The experiences you had must be viewed through the prism of the child/parent relationship, as well as the theatrics of the (I assume) nightly revivals/testimony.

There is a reason xtianity has been one of the successful world religions. It was designed in such a way that each person will be able to identify with some part of the faith, the ceremony, the pageantry, the ideals. It's an ultimate exercise, if you will, in behavioural psychology. It's not "god" that cured your mother's depression, but only the idea of the companionship of the xtian god itself, as well as the companionship of others who share the same faith. Your own healing from the haemophiliac bleeding during your tonsillectomy...while fortunate...more than likely had a scientific medical explanation. I'm not a doctor, though, so please don't ask me to explain what it might have been.

You mention your brothers 'felt the calling' at age four and six. At such a young age they would have been mightily influenced by your parents' pervasive faith and frequent church services. You say you were exposed to 'lusts of the flesh' before the age of 12...I submit you did not have the first clue what 'lusts of the flesh' meant at that age...other than the fact that your parents and the bible told you it was bad. The 'bad temper' you had is completely natural for a young child. 'God' did not cure you of it, the idea of 'god' as instilled in you by your parents helped you overcome the behaviour. You also mention the 'cycles' in which you found yourself, alternatively praying for forgiveness and regressing into 'sin'. Again, here is something to which you have subconsciously submitted whether you realize it or not. The only reason you felt guilt over your frequent masturbation is that you were repeatedly told it was forbidden, at an age where this sank deep into your psyche. You said you felt 'lonely' at night...what adolescent doesn't?

It seems to me you're trying to generate a greater 'testimonial' than you have truly experienced.

s
Kichigai!

Osaka

Moves
18 Feb 06
1 edit

[b]Or that your god is false.

Explain.[/b]
Well, dj you assume that my statement cannot possibly be true, and that everyone dies. If my statement is true, however, (and you cannot possibly show it to be false, in the absence of true believers) it would categorically show that the FLYING SPAGHETTI MONSTER does in fact exist, and moreover, does spare His true followers from death.

Since the christian god and the FLYING SPAGHETTI MONSTER are mutually exclusive, if my statement it true, the Christian god must be false.

[edit; wow - i managed to re-interpret this single sentence another way!]

S

Moves
18 Feb 06

Originally posted by David C
I suppose it's only appropriate to thank you, dj2, for sharing something obviously personal to you. I've read bits and pieces of this on other threads.

You must see by now that you never really had a choice in your faith. Your parents were devout believers. Your prolonged exposure to hardcore Christianity at such an early, impressionable age, coupled with ...[text shortened]... enerate a greater 'testimonial' than you have truly experienced.
Sorry I didn't get back to you earlier dj, I was waiting to see if there was a second part, as my previous post indicated.

I'm replying to DC's post because it shares much of my view. I would like to add just one point really. You originally expressed 'the utter hideousness of sin' in which you lived, which was what picqued my interest. But having read your testimonial, I can see nothing which counts for real sin, even by your standards. I doubt you have even the vaguest comprehension of what a human being can experience and still function within society. I'm interested to know if you have ever done some of the following things: Stolen, got drunk, been in a fight. I'm assuming you've never taken drugs and as you have already said, you haven't had sex. What about music? Do you consider some types of music wrong? The same for art? Also, have you ever been out of your country? Or your local area?

If we think about how much of an influence one's parents are upon the way our personal psychology develops and especially in your case, where the boundaries of your world were so controlled and the level of your worldly experience so limited, surely you must admit that, even if god does exist, a massive amount of the way you thnk and act is down to your parents and not god. Now I understand that even if you admit this is true, you can have the caveat that god moved through them to save you, but I'd like an honest opinion on the matter nonetheless.

Thank you for keeping your side of the bargain.

Moves
18 Feb 06

Originally posted by scottishinnz
Well, dj you assume that my statement cannot possibly be true, and that everyone dies. If my statement is true, however, (and you cannot possibly show it to be false, in the absence of true believers) it would categorically show that the FLYING SPAGHETTI MONSTER does in fact exist, and moreover, does spare His true followers from death.

Since the ch ...[text shortened]... st be false.

[edit; wow - i managed to re-interpret this single sentence another way!]
Do you have any evidence of the FLYING SPAGHETTI MONSTER?

Moves
18 Feb 06

You must see by now that you never really had a choice in your faith. Your parents were devout believers. Your prolonged exposure to hardcore Christianity at such an early, impressionable age, coupled with ...[text shortened]... enerate a greater 'testimonial' than you have truly experienced.
Dave, before I answer you, I just have one question for you:

Just pretend the Bible was the truth. If you believed that the Bible was the truth, are there some parts of your life-style that you would have to change?

s
Kichigai!

Osaka

Moves
18 Feb 06
2 edits

Do you have any evidence of the FLYING SPAGHETTI MONSTER?
we have the writings and drawings of His disciples. But really, you have to have a personal relationship with Him. Also, of course, we have direct evidence of both pasta and flight.

What evidence do you have of your god?

edit; forgot to capitalise the 'H' of him.

DC
Flamenco Sketches

Spain, in spirit

Moves
18 Feb 06

Just pretend the Bible was the truth. If you believed that the Bible was the truth, are there some parts of your life-style that you would have to change?
I guess I'd have to start a-goin' to Church. 😉

L

Moves
18 Feb 06
1 edit

[b]Starrman:

My story actually starts with my parents.

My father was the only son of a wealthy farmer. He was spoiled, had everything he wanted and was to inherit the farm one day. Yet none of this could ever satisfy him.

Although they regularly went to church, my grandfather didn't believe that the Bible was the Word of God and told my fath ation I am able to resist Him by quoting the word of God.

There are so many p...[/b]
Thank you for your testimonial. I gave it a rec because it is clear that you put some time and thought into the post.

But as far as I and many others are concerned, your belief in God is arbitrary; and it will remain that way until enough demonstrable evidence is presented to establish that the existence of your God is sufficiently likely. Thus, the problem here is that you are trying to perpetuate arbitrary beliefs based on consequentialist arguments. That is, you are promoting belief in God based on the perceived effects of such belief (e.g., you claim that such belief has made you happier, given you a new perceived purpose in life, freed you from the bondage of sin [whatever that means], etc.). I think, however, that there is a real concern with this approach, and in order to maintain fairness, the goods need to be properly labeled; otherwise, it is a matter of false advertising. It seems to me that many supernatural beliefs can be boiled down to 'i really have no good reason for thinking this belief is true, but it sure does help me sleep better at night.' And that summary is just fine with me -- the goods are properly labeled.

Thanks again for your post.

Moves
18 Feb 06

I guess I'd have to start a-goin' to Church. 😉
I mean more in the line of personal habits and so on?

I'm just interseted why you think believing in the Bible would make you go to church. Don't you think there is more to 'Christianity' than going to church?

r
CHAOS GHOST!!!

Elsewhere

Moves
18 Feb 06

If the Bible contained only the literal truth, I'd have to stop my wanton deflowering of True Love Waits members and curb the impulse to urinate on houses of God, which I have hitherto found irresistible.

Moves
18 Feb 06

Originally posted by royalchicken
If the Bible contained only the literal truth, I'd have to stop my wanton deflowering of True Love Waits members and curb the impulse to urinate on houses of God, which I have hitherto found irresistible.
So it is not really about whether the Bible contains literal truth or not. It's more about whether or not you are willing to change your lifestyle.

r
CHAOS GHOST!!!

Elsewhere

Moves
18 Feb 06
1 edit

So it is not really about whether the Bible contains literal truth or not. It's more about whether or not you are willing to change your lifestyle.
No, I mean that if the Bible contained literal truth, I'd have to stop doing those things, but since it doesn't, I can shag TLWers and piss on churches, while having as much to fear from God as I do from Santa Claus, honest politicians and non-delusional fundamentalists.