Originally posted by Kaboooomba
    faith?
    You lost me.
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    20 Mar '06 03:07
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    You lost me.
    non-meritorious faith is sans work. which means?... in regards to who?
  3. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    20 Mar '06 04:07
    Originally posted by Kaboooomba
    non-meritorious faith is sans work. which means?... in regards to who?
    You said:
    "if you believe in Jesus then your motives 'which God judges' would have been to live your life acceptable to Jesus."

Non-meritorious faith in Christ is the issue in salvation, not how one lives one's life.
  4. London
    Moves
    20 Mar '06 23:08
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Perhaps you should avoid such insufferable snotnosery; while technically you are correct, his context showed he was referring to Jesus' conception. You can't expect everyone on Planet Earth to make the hair splitting distinctions that the RCC does. Also if you want to be hypertechnical, if he was referring to THE Immaculate Conception he would have capit ...[text shortened]... ? Since Jesus was conceived without Original Sin his was an "immaculate conception" as well.
    As ivanhoe pointed out, his context showed he was talking about the Virgin Birth, not the (or any) Immaculate Conception.

In any case, the doctrine of the IC is not that Mary was conceived without Original Sin, but that she "was preserved exempt from all stain of original sin"*. With Christ, there was no need to "preserve" Him from anything; it's simply impossible for Him to have been conceived with original sin. So, His conception is not "immaculate" in the sense Mary's is, though it is sinless.

Christ's conception is referred to as the "miraculous conception".

---
    * http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/07674d.htm
  5. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    20 Mar '06 23:38
    You said:
    "if you believe in Jesus then your motives 'which God judges' would have been to live your life acceptable to Jesus."

Non-meritorious faith in Christ is the issue in salvation, not how one lives one's life.
    Personally, I think all faith in Jesus is non-meritorious, but there you go...
  6. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    21 Mar '06 00:08
    Originally posted by scottishinnz
    Personally, I think all faith in Jesus is non-meritorious, but there you go...
    Closer than you think, Scott. Closer than you think.
  7. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    21 Mar '06 00:481 edit
    The essence of original sin consists in the deprivation of sanctifying grace, and its stain is a corrupt nature. Mary was preserved from these defects by God’s grace; from the first instant of her existence she was in the state of sanctifying grace and was free from the corrupt nature original sin brings.
    http://www.catholic.com/library/Immaculate_Conception_and_Assum.asp
    Why don't all of God's children receive such immaculate conception? It seems like the decent thing for God to do, if it is in his power.
  8. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    21 Mar '06 00:50
    Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
    Why don't all of God's children receive such immaculate conception? It seems like the decent thing for God to do, if it is in his power.
    Cuz we're all worthless scum. Nothing personal, that's just how it is.
  9. London
    Moves
    21 Mar '06 00:54
    1. Because not every person has to provide physical flesh to constitute the Son of God.

2. Because (I think) the Immaculate Conception was conditional on Mary's free acceptance of her role in salvation history (the 'fiat'😉.
  10. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    21 Mar '06 00:57
    Originally posted by lucifershammer

2. Because (I think) the Immaculate Conception was conditional on Mary's free acceptance of her role in salvation history (the 'fiat'😉.
    How could she consent if it was thrust upon her the instant she came into existence?
  11. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    21 Mar '06 00:59
    1. Because not every person has to provide physical flesh to constitute the Son of God.
    Why should this matter? It sounds like God is exacting revenge by having the power to restore us all to grace, but not doing so.
  12. London
    Moves
    21 Mar '06 00:59
    How could she consent if it was thrust upon her the instant she came into existence?
    I meant her consent to the Annunciation.
  13. London
    Moves
    21 Mar '06 01:01
    Why should this matter? It sounds like God is exacting revenge by having the power to restore us all to grace, but not doing so.
    See point (2).
  14. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    21 Mar '06 01:01
    I meant her consent to the Annunciation.
    So, scratch (2) off the list. I was asking about why we can't all come into existence via immaculate conception.
  15. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    21 Mar '06 01:022 edits
    See point (2).
    I have eliminated (2) from the list of relevant reasons. It's not even coherent. How could her manner of coming into existence depend on a decision she made after coming into existence?

Your list is now empty.

Please give some more reasons why God does not grant us all immaculate conception.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree