Morals and the law

Morals and the law

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
04 Oct 13
2 edits

Originally posted by twhitehead

I must also note that here in South Africa, rape is very common and would probably be a lot more common if there were fewer consequences.
On the whole, there don't seem to be a great many consequences. Authorised punitive consequences, that is. The manifest lack of interest on the part of law enforcement to deal with rape, among other serious crimes, has in turn fuelled the rise of vigilante justice, often doled out in the form of 'necklacing'. Here's a recent example: http://www.iol.co.za/news/crime-courts/another-necklacing-in-khayelitsha-1.1480744

Here's another one: http://enca.com/south-africa/vigilante-mob-necklace-suspected-criminal

Apparently, a lot of necklacings don't get reported.

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
04 Oct 13
1 edit

Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
On the whole, there don't seem to be a great many consequences.
So, to contradict myself, whatever their moral condition, people in South Africa are continuing to misbehave, despite the potentially very severe consequences for relatively minor misdemeanours, such as cell phone theft.

looking for loot

western colorado

Moves
09 Oct 13

Originally posted by Great King Rat...I mean, if you find a bag with $42000 you don't keep it, do you? Or am I that naive??[/b]
If I find a bag at work, wallet or purse kind of thing for example, it gets turned in. I have no idea how many dollars are in it.

Bags lost on the street are fair game. I'll drop your id etc in a mailbox, though.

Cape Town

Moves
09 Oct 13

Originally posted by apathist
If I find a bag at work, wallet or purse kind of thing for example, it gets turned in. I have no idea how many dollars are in it.

Bags lost on the street are fair game. I'll drop your id etc in a mailbox, though.
Is this because you respect the property of people you know more than that of strangers? And is it general respect for them, or because you fear consequences?

Infidel

Moves
09 Oct 13

Yes, I meant physically harming someone.

[b]Because I don't think it's actually possible to rob a bank without harming anyone.

True, but I am OK with some sorts of harm to some people.

If you see a wallet lying on the street with money in it, do you take it to the police or do you keep it?
Doesn't happen very often so I can't be ...[text shortened]... y were made available at a reasonable price and reasonable format instead of the current system.[/b]
Except for I don't think I would steal something, but I am not sure if this is because I think there is a remote possibility of being caught." it would appear that not only are your morals still intact, you seem to be relying more on them when you take away the law variable. Which seems opposite from your OP. So be happy, you're a moral person.

looking for loot

western colorado

Moves
09 Oct 13

Is this because you respect the property of people you know more than that of strangers? And is it general respect for them, or because you fear consequences?
No, it is because I agreed to be responsible for the job when I took it.

The reason you suggested, I do respect the property of people I care about more than that of strangers, but that doesn't mean I don't respect the properties of strangers. I plan to return the driver's license, right. But if you can't take proper care of a bag of money, then clearly the money is better off without you.

Infidel

Moves
09 Oct 13

How very weird. And how very immoral.

Would it make a difference if you knew the 150 dollars in the purse would be of a 89 year old lady, who had lost her wallet while falling and subsequently broke her hip meaning she had to wait in the pouring rain for the ambulance to arrive, all the while not realising her wallet was lying 6 feet away from her. She had wanted to use the money to buy some presents for her three grandchildren, one of whom has leukaemia...?

Infidel

Moves
09 Oct 13

No, it is because I agreed to be responsible for the job when I took it.

The reason you suggested, I do respect the property of people I care about more than that of strangers, but that doesn't mean I don't respect the properties of strangers. I plan to return the driver's license, right. But if you can't take proper care of a bag of money, then clearly the money is better off without you.
You notice someone has left their house while not locking it. Do you consider it ok to take away their stuff because it's better of without them because they can't take proper care of it?

Cape Town

Moves
10 Oct 13

Originally posted by Great King Rat
it would appear that not only are your morals still intact, you seem to be relying [b]more on them when you take away the law variable. Which seems opposite from your OP. So be happy, you're a moral person.[/b]
My OP is because I was actually surprised when someone stated that he would throw away all morals and go around raping girls if there were no legal consequences (he didn't seem to consider the harm the girls would suffer).
So I am exploring whether there are people who really act that way, whether there are people who think they would act that way, and to what extent my own morals are a result of my fear of consequences and to what extent they are a result of my empathy.

One question I am often asked when I tell people I am atheist is: "What stops you from going around murdering people?"

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
12 Oct 13

I don't think it matters whether he was trolling, joking, exaggerating, talking without thinking, or telling the truth. I still think its interesting to ask what people would do without consequences. How much of our behaviour is governed by our morality and how much by consequences.
I have always felt that theists tend to feel that morality is governed b ...[text shortened]... a, rape is very common and would probably be a lot more common if there were fewer consequences.
Not to mention that many of the atheists here were raised by religious parents, which could also be a mitigating factor in their morality set once they became adults.

I mean if you're raised that something is wrong, you usually continue to believe it's wrong, even though your reasons may have since changed.

Moves
16 Oct 13

Originally posted by Suzianne
Not to mention that many of the atheists here were raised by religious parents, which could also be a mitigating factor in their morality set once they became adults.

I mean if you're raised that something is wrong, you usually continue to believe it's wrong, even though your reasons may have since changed.
A "mitigating factor"?

You are strongly implying that [in general] religious parents have better morals than non-theistic ones.

That is both incorrect and deeply offensive and insulting.

Many [a majority?] atheists in the states probably do have religious parents...

In the UK the situation is mostly reversed...

Want to compare our crime rates with yours?

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
16 Oct 13
1 edit

Originally posted by googlefudge
A "mitigating factor"?

You are strongly implying that [in general] religious parents have better morals than non-theistic ones.

That is both incorrect and deeply offensive and insulting.

Many [a majority?] atheists in the states probably do have religious parents...

In the UK the situation is mostly reversed...

Want to compare our crime rates with yours?
Violent crime worse in Britain than in US

by MICHAEL CLARKE, Daily Mail

Created: 23 February 2001 | Updated: 23 Feb 2001

Britain has a higher crime rate than any other rich nation except Australia, according to a survey yesterday.

The chances of having your car stolen are greater in England and Wales than anywhere else in the developed world, it said.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-25671/Violent-crime-worse-Britain-US.html

The Telegraph Wednesday 16 October 2013

The United Kingdom is the violent crime capital of Europe and has one of the highest rates of violence in the world, worse even than America, according to new research.

By Richard Edwards, Crime Correspondent

7:00AM BST 02 Jul 2009

Analysis of figures from the European Commission showed a 77 per cent increase in murders, robberies, assaults and sexual offences in the UK since Labour came to power.

The total number of violent offences recorded compared to population is higher than any other country in Europe, as well as America, Canada, Australia and South Africa.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/law-and-order/5712573/UK-is-violent-crime-capital-of-Europe.html

The Instructor

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
16 Oct 13

Originally posted by RJHinds
Violent crime worse in Britain than in US

The Instructor
http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2013/jun/24/blog-posting/social-media-post-says-uk-has-far-higher-violent-c/

The International Crime Victims Survey, conducted by an arm of the United Nations most recently in 2005, shows the difference between reported crime and all crimes committed by conducting polls that ask people if they've been victims of specific crimes. Polling data showed that England and Wales had 2,600 cases of robbery per 100,000 population and 8,100 cases of "assaults and threats" per 100,000. While those figures are even higher than the meme suggested, the U.S levels are also much higher -- 1,100 cases of robbery and 8,300 cases of assaults and threats per 100,000. And the rate of sexual assault is actually about 50 percent higher in the United States than it is in England and Wales. So this data set doesn’t support the thrust of the meme, either.

Cape Town

Moves
16 Oct 13

Originally posted by RJHinds
The total number of violent offences recorded compared to population is higher than .......... South Africa.
I very much doubt that.

looking for loot

western colorado

Moves
16 Oct 13

Originally posted by Great King Rat
How very weird. And how very immoral.

Would it make a difference if you knew the 150 dollars in the purse would be of a 89 year old lady, who had lost her wallet while falling and subsequently broke her hip meaning she had to wait in the pouring rain for the ambulance to arrive, all the while not realising her wallet was lying 6 feet away from her. ...[text shortened]... to use the money to buy some presents for her three grandchildren, one of whom has leukaemia...?
Wait a minute. Did I get to know those omniscient details when I found the money? In that case I'd go comfort and shelter her while administering first aid and phoning the professionals. And then go pay my rent.

Or do you mean her story had already been processed before I found the money? In that case I'd go pay my rent.

I agree that morality is not an unweird nor a simplistic concept.