Morals -- relative or absolute.

Morals -- relative or absolute.

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

d

Moves
11 Jul 06

Originally posted by dottewell
If anything, it's an argument against absurdly reductive physicalism.

(Incidentally, Lewis is not taken particularly seriously as a philosopher.)
...or as a children's novelist, come to think of it...

H
I stink, ergo I am

On the rebound

Moves
11 Jul 06

If anything, it's an argument against absurdly reductive physicalism.

Given his position on the supernatural and rejection of a purely materialist reality, I'm not surprised.

H
I stink, ergo I am

On the rebound

Moves
11 Jul 06

...or as a children's novelist, come to think of it...
Ah yes. That good ol' ad hominem was sure to surface some time. 😠

I enjoyed his novels as a child - so there. 😳

d

Moves
11 Jul 06

Originally posted by Halitose
Ah yes. [b]That good ol' ad hominem was sure to surface some time. 😠

I enjoyed his novels as a child - so there. 😳[/b]
What do you mean by "ad hominem"?

d

Moves
11 Jul 06
1 edit

Given his position on the supernatural and rejection of a purely materialist reality, I'm not surprised.
I don't think that's the problem.

Really, if you are going to take an interest in a subject you should read more widely. Give the other side a run for its money, as it were.

(That's not an "ad hominem" either, just a piece of advice.)

H
I stink, ergo I am

On the rebound

Moves
11 Jul 06

What do you mean by "ad hominem"?
1) Lewis wrote bad children's books.
2) Lewis formulated the AFR
3) Follows from 1) and 2) that his ideas on the AFR sucked.

QED
😏

d

Moves
11 Jul 06

1) Lewis wrote bad children's books.
2) Lewis formulated the AFR
3) Follows from 1) and 2) that his ideas on the AFR sucked.

QED
😏
An argument I did not make.

H
I stink, ergo I am

On the rebound

Moves
11 Jul 06

An argument I did not make.
Which was the only on-topic insinuation I could make of your quip. My bad.

H
I stink, ergo I am

On the rebound

Moves
11 Jul 06

I don't think that's the problem.

Really, if you are going to take an interest in a subject you should read more widely. Give the other side a run for its money, as it were.

(That's not an "ad hominem" either, just a piece of advice.)
Really, if you are going to take an interest in a subject you should read more widely.

Recommended reading?

d

Moves
11 Jul 06
1 edit

[b]Really, if you are going to take an interest in a subject you should read more widely.

Recommended reading?[/b]
Any primer on the philosophy of mind that gives a good account of different physicalist theories.

Donald Davidson's paper Mental Events, if you want to dip into one interesting theory of the relationship between the physical and the mental.

Specifically on the "argument from reason"? I'm not sure; it's as old as Socrates and held in approximately the same regard. Maybe ask bbarr if there's anything up to date.

Sorry about the ad hominem thing; it's just that it's a phrase that appears here far too often. I studied philosophy for some time, and don't think I ever used it.

Krackpot Kibitzer

Right behind you...

Moves
11 Jul 06

John R. Searle's recent book "Mind: An introduction" is a vigorously written and pleasantly opinionated survey of the main philosophical theories about the mind-body link.

S

Moves
11 Jul 06
2 edits

Originally posted by FreakyKBH
Really? How so? Matter simply created itself, then? Is not all of creation of supernatural origin?

No, there's no such thing as the supernatural. Unless of course you can prove me wrong...

The soul exists, we simply have not been able to gauge it with scientific tools, save the movements of it.

Not only that, you have been unable to give a single reason why I should believe that it exists at all.

Exactly. Ergo, sciencedunnit.

Now who's misquoting?

With such a logically impossible threshold to cover, it is highly unlikely you will concede any supernatural entity until you are face-to-face with Him.

At last! Something of mine you seem to have understood.

I'm out of this nonsense.

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
12 Jul 06
1 edit

Why stop there? Why not just throw in the entire physical world?
Just because brains think, it does not follow that nothing exists outside of thought.
It's the thinking part that we're discussing. According to No1, the brain cannot think; it streams along reacting to chemical and electrical impulses, themselves caused by, well, themselves. Independent thought does not exist! Tee-hee, silly, ain't it?

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
12 Jul 06

Originally posted by Starrman
[b]Really? How so? Matter simply created itself, then? Is not all of creation of supernatural origin?

No, there's no such thing as the supernatural. Unless of course you can prove me wrong...

The soul exists, we simply have not been able to gauge it with scientific tools, save the movements of it. ...[text shortened]... [/b]

I'm out of this nonsense.[/b]
No, there's no such thing as the supernatural.
Then, just as with the 'thought thread,' you are left with matter producing itself. That takes a lot more faith than I would be capable of offering.

Not only that, you have been unable to give a single reason why I should believe that it exists at all.
And here we are back at the wind analogy. Funny how you antagonists constantly run in circles, ain't it? Something is producing the effects, something makes a human a human... science just doesn't know what that something is yet, ergo, it does not exist. BRILLIANT!

I had you from hello.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
12 Jul 06

[b]Just because brains think, it does not follow that nothing exists outside of thought.
It's the thinking part that we're discussing. According to No1, the brain cannot think; it streams along reacting to chemical and electrical impulses, themselves caused by, well, themselves. Independent thought does not exist! Tee-hee, silly, ain't it?[/b]
Yep, and some magic supernatural force makes an automobile move and its internal combustion engine is a mere conduit for its God given "soul". See how that works?