Misguided Belief

Misguided Belief

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
13 Jul 10

Originally posted by r99pawn77
God does answer prayers.

and I am sure he answered yours. But you have to develop the discipline and the language to understand that world.

if you enter deeply into prayer practice, meditation and everything associated with the spiritual life...with real intent, intensity, devotion and purpose...

then you will know that God answers prayers.

Sw ...[text shortened]... you engage it, it yields results, slowly, over time.... and based on the degree of effort.
Well put!

Also it should be noted that prayers dont win you money or necessarily prove the existence of a god. But they can be a good indicator to whether you are in the right ballpark or not.

g

Moves
14 Jul 10

God does answer prayers.

and I am sure he answered yours. But you have to develop the discipline and the language to understand that world.

if you enter deeply into prayer practice, meditation and everything associated with the spiritual life...with real intent, intensity, devotion and purpose...

then you will know that God answers prayers.

Sw ...[text shortened]... you engage it, it yields results, slowly, over time.... and based on the degree of effort.
very well put, but some don't get it though 🙂

g

Moves
14 Jul 10

Originally posted by Proper Knob
Maybe you could say a little prayer and ask God to give me guidance in winning the lottery this weekend. I promise to give you 10%, and also 10% of my winnings to a charity of your choice.

Deal?!

Or maybe you could pray and ask God to reveal the cure for cancer to me in a dream tonight? We could end millions of peoples suffering worldwide in an instant. That would be cool.
I'm not sure why you think I need or want your money. I'm also not sure why you would give to charity if you have more money. Seems there is bit of greed there.

g

Moves
14 Jul 10

Originally posted by karoly aczel
So we agree.
No robots. Christ said some cool stuff which could improve humanity.

how is believing in christ better than being a humanitarian? (thats if you think it is) thnx
My apologies for not answering your question earlier. I think having both is very good. If there was a choice to be made between being a humanitarian (helping others) or believing in Christ and not helping others. I'll go with the humanitarian option personally.

Someone who believes in Jesus Christ though I feel should feel like helping others.

F

Moves
14 Jul 10

Originally posted by karoly aczel
Not even a non-verbal answer or a sign? 🙂
Not more than any Coin will give me. Actually, the Coin gives me clearer answers. If we forget about the faulty answers it is very accurate.

Cape Town

Moves
14 Jul 10
1 edit

God does answer prayers.

So now we know that:
1. The answer God gives is subject to interpretation.
2. Only those with the discipline and language can see and understand that answer.

So why did you give us all those stories? Surely you realize we do not have the discipline and language to correctly interpret them?
[edit] Sorry, didn't realize it was a different poster. But gtbiking4life seems to agree with you so maybe he can answer.

Surely you also realize that from our point of view (without the benefit of discipline and language), the results of your prayers are indistinguishable from prayers not being answered?
Scientifically there is no difference between prayers not being answered and prayers being answered in a way that only some people can identify by a method not explainable to others in a scientific manner.

Cornovii

North of the Tamar

Moves
14 Jul 10

Originally posted by gtbiking4life
I'm not sure why you think I need or want your money. I'm also not sure why you would give to charity if you have more money. Seems there is bit of greed there.
It was just the first statistically improbable thing that came to my mind, hence why i then added the cancer afterthought.

So how about it. You'd think that if God was a caring perosn he wouldn't like to see people suffering, and you seem to think that prayer works. Pray for the cure for cancer. We could end millions of peoples suffering in 'one fall swoop', pray for God to reveal the cure for cancer. If that works, i'll be at church repenting my sins straightaway.

g

Moves
14 Jul 10

It was just the first statistically improbable thing that came to my mind, hence why i then added the cancer afterthought.

So how about it. You'd think that if God was a caring perosn he wouldn't like to see people suffering, and you seem to think that prayer works. Pray for the cure for cancer. We could end millions of peoples suffering in 'one fall ...[text shortened]... eveal the cure for cancer. If that works, i'll be at church repenting my sins straightaway.
Here's a better idea, you seem to want to know. Go out right now and give 10% of all of your paychecks to a charity. Do this constantly with ever paycheck you receive. Get on your knees and pray yourself. Get baptized. Would you be willing right now to give yourself and make your own sacrifices?

If everyone followed the teachings if Jesus Christ and gave of themselves first - donations, helping those less fortunate, etc. then this world would be a much better place and the cure for cancer would be right around the corner. God works through us, but we need to do take action. Being a father, myself, I raise my son the same way. I don't give my son everything, I teach my son he needs to take some action and do something first. If he came up to me and told me "Dad, I'm no longer going to the things you want me to do, but because you love me, your going to give me what I want, Understand?" My son would earn a quick trip to the naughty spot.

Cape Town

Moves
14 Jul 10

If everyone followed the teachings if Jesus Christ and gave of themselves first - donations, helping those less fortunate, etc. then this world would be a much better place and the cure for cancer would be right around the corner. God works through us, but we need to do take action. Being a father, myself, I raise my son the same way. I don't give my s ...[text shortened]... ing to give me what I want, Understand?" My son would earn a quick trip to the naughty spot.
I understand what you are saying, but you are not really answering the questions.
If one of your children had cancer and you could cure it, would you do so or not?

Cornovii

North of the Tamar

Moves
14 Jul 10
1 edit

Here's a better idea, you seem to want to know. Go out right now and give 10% of all of your paychecks to a charity. Do this constantly with ever paycheck you receive. Get on your knees and pray yourself. Get baptized. Would you be willing right now to give yourself and make your own sacrifices?

If everyone followed the teachings if Jesus Christ an ng to give me what I want, Understand?" My son would earn a quick trip to the naughty spot.
I do give money to charity thanks, and i also give my time to charitable causes. As a matter of fact this past Saturday i played a gig for free in aid of Macmillan (that's a cancer charity), when i could have gigged for money. So in answer to your question, i do make sacrifices.

I'll take the answer to my question as being a no then.

a
Not actually a cat

The Flat Earth

Moves
14 Jul 10

If everyone followed the teachings if Jesus Christ an ...[text shortened]... ng to give me what I want, Understand?" My son would earn a quick trip to the naughty spot.
If you ask around, you'll find a lot of people give a lot of money to charity and do a lot of charitable works without considering such a duty of obeisance to a god who, if you guys have the right of it, could remove the need for such charity at a stroke should he so desire.

g

Moves
15 Jul 10

I do give money to charity thanks, and i also give my time to charitable causes. As a matter of fact this past Saturday i played a gig for free in aid of Macmillan (that's a cancer charity), when i could have gigged for money. So in answer to your question, i do make sacrifices.

I'll take the answer to my question as being a no then.
lol - your first thought was this

"Maybe you could say a little prayer and ask God to give me guidance in winning the lottery this weekend. I promise to give you 10%, and also 10% of my winnings to a charity of your choice."

Now you want say you give to charity. The statement above indicated you would give to charity after winning the lottery. I was relying to that small portion which mentioned why wait to win the lottery.

You can take the answer any way you want. I know prayer works because I've seen it happen in my life. Even if the cure for cancer did come tomorrow, you would find some other excuse and another...and another.

We know this world can be ugly to live in at times. We all know this..The Bible makes no statement otherwise. I'll say this again...if everyone followed the path of Jesus Christ, this world would be a much better place and maybe the cure for cancer would be right around the corner of not already found. But that's not the case...is it?

A
The 'edit'or

converging to it

Moves
15 Jul 10
1 edit

"Maybe you could say a little prayer and ask God to give me guidance in winning the lottery this weekend. I promise to give you 10%, and also 10% of my winnings to a charity of your choice."

Now you want say you give to charity. The statement above indicated you would give to charity after winning the lottery. I cer would be right around the corner of not already found. But that's not the case...is it?

Now you want say you give to charity. The statement above indicated you would give to charity after winning the lottery. I was relying to that small portion which mentioned why wait to win the lottery.

It indicated a charity of your choice would be given 10%, and yourself 10%. It didn't indicate:
1) he doesn't already give money to charity
2) he wouldn't give the other 80% to a charity of *his* choice

If the world really would be a better place if everyone followed Jesus, and supposing your god wants the best possible world why doesn't he give the evidence required to turn the convictions of atheists like me (ie: something tangible) since arguments like yours or any other theist so far don't cut it.
Would it be an inconvenience for your god to do this? Does it instead prefer an ugly world??

F

Moves
15 Jul 10

Originally posted by Agerg
Would it be an inconvenience for your god to do this? Does it instead prefer an ugly world??
It's as if his god is behaving like a human - flaws 'n' all. Maybe this is the result of the flawed humanity of all the superstitious people who contributed to the bible?

j

Moves
15 Jul 10
1 edit

This post is way too long to read all of it, but just an input. God oversees a sinful world. He actively tries to reach out to us (In Christianity, no other religion is this way). Anyway... God plans for everything to be well and good, but sin comes into our lives and/or satan ruins some of the good here. That's why he sent jesus, because he didn't expect any of us to be perfect. Hebrews used to sacrifice lambs and goats for their sin, jesus replaces that.

Anyway... prayer is for everyone, it doesn't have to be for purely "religious" people. Also, I recognize that A LOT of Christians are bigots, say incorrect things, and try to convert people excessively (a pleasant, nice approach is better) so I sympathize with all of the atheists out there, I really do.

"The number one cause of atheism in the world today, are Christians"