Men No Long Hair

Men No Long Hair

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

t

Moves
06 Feb 12

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
do your own research and as you have provided no evidence to the contrary ,
except to display your now obligatory cynicism, i suggest its you who are the one in
ignorance and who are simply content to make things up as evidenced by this latest
proffering of yours, what reason do you have for stating that if left in its natural
state a ladies ...[text shortened]... r take your contentions to someone that actually cares about them, they
are meaningless to me.
So.... he is like the pharisees?

rc

Moves
06 Feb 12
1 edit

Originally posted by tomtom232
So.... he is like the pharisees?
its just meaningless contentiousness, he calls people out on the basis of
his own opinions, if he had corroborated the statement, fine, but he never does, it
therefore has simply no content and is meaningless.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
06 Feb 12

Originally posted by moon1969
"Doth not even nature itself teach you, that, if a man have long hair, it is a shame unto him?" 1 Corinthians 11:14.

Paul is the architect of Christianity, is he not. We should listen to him?
So Samson got a bye on that idea? Haircut seemed to be a bad idea at the time.

V

Windsor, Ontario

Moves
07 Feb 12

"Doth not even nature itself teach you, that, if a man have long hair, it is a shame unto him?" 1 Corinthians 11:14.

ironically, christ is often depicted as a long-haired hippy.

rc

Moves
07 Feb 12

Originally posted by VoidSpirit
ironically, christ is often depicted as a long-haired hippy.
he is also invariably depicted as being effeminate, which for a carpenter working with
hand tools in the epoch in which he lived is a nonsense, ever tried to cut down a
sizeable tree with a handsaw?

Houston, Texas

Moves
07 Feb 12

he is also invariably depicted as being effeminate, which for a carpenter working with
hand tools in the epoch in which he lived is a nonsense, ever tried to cut down a
Weren't structures in the place and time of Jesus generally made of stone and not wood. Thus, Jesus as a "carpenter" more likely worked with stone, mud, and dirt, and not wood?

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
07 Feb 12

We shouldn't .not about hair.
I think the "alien" , out there types will often have short hair cuts or shave their hair whereas the more Earthy types, the ones whose souls have been here for many lifetimes will often have long hair or dreadlocks.

(sound silly? I'm just trying to match the op)

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
07 Feb 12
1 edit

do your own research and as you have provided no evidence to the contrary ,
except to display your now obligatory cynicism, i suggest its you who are the one in
ignorance and who are simply content to make things up as evidenced by this latest
proffering of yours, what reason do you have for stating that if left in its natural
state a ladies ...[text shortened]... r take your contentions to someone that actually cares about them, they
are meaningless to me.
I find his posts substantially more interesting than yours. Although you do throw out some good ones from time to time, I really cant see how you can talk about our beloved twitehead like that.

As if you own the entire forum 😛

Houston, Texas

Moves
07 Feb 12

In discussing the matter of headship with the Corinthian congregation, Paul called
attention to the rule that a woman should wear a head covering when praying or
prophesying before the congregation, as a sign of subjection. In illustration, he
says: “Does not nature itself teach you that if a man has long hair, it is a dishonour
to him; but i ...[text shortened]... ors that would influence their attitude as to what was natural.

source: Jehovahs Witnesses.
Nice detail. Thanks.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
07 Feb 12

Weren't structures in the place and time of Jesus generally made of stone and not wood. Thus, Jesus as a "carpenter" more likely worked with stone, mud, and dirt, and not wood?
No. A carpenter works with wood. Period. A stonemason works with stone. It's just more likely that carpenters busied themselves with making furniture and cabinetry rather than building structures.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
07 Feb 12

There was woodworking long before Christ, there was iron tools too, and bronze ones before that strong enough to cut and hammer wood. They may have had to make connections with wooden dowels and so forth, compared to nails of today but woodworking was an honorable craft even 5000 years ago.

a
Not actually a cat

The Flat Earth

Moves
07 Feb 12

Axe, surely?

rc

Moves
07 Feb 12

Originally posted by avalanchethecat
Axe, surely?
Ok but whatever method employed the likelyhood of Christ being muscular is quite high due to the physical nature of the work.

rc

Moves
07 Feb 12

Nice detail. Thanks.
You are most welcome

Houston, Texas

Moves
09 Feb 12

Originally posted by Suzianne
No. A carpenter works with wood. Period. A stonemason works with stone. It's just more likely that carpenters busied themselves with making furniture and cabinetry rather than building structures.
First, we might call such a furniture or cabinet maker, but not a carpenter in a strict sense, which is associated with building wood structures or simple wooden objects such as boxes, scaffolds, or shelves. To give the word "carpenter" a broad definition of merely "works with wood" seems a bit of a stretch.

Second, a couple of weeks ago, I watched several documentaries on the life of Jesus on those evil Discovery and Science channels, and it was posited that Jesus was not a carpenter in the traditional sense. But that the Greek word "tecton" or "tekton" used to describe Jesus better translates into the word "contractor." Further, a couple of the theologians on one of the documentaries posited that Jesus was a builder or handyman instead of a traditional carpenter as we know it.

I also heard the words "architect" "engineer" or "contruction engineer". Not much is known about Jesus in his middle years and thus much speculation about actually what he did as a profession and that it may have been associated with customs of his father, clan, village, etc.