Love your enemies

Love your enemies

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

w

Moves
28 Feb 15

Originally posted by FMF
Answer it anyway.
Would Jesus say to follow the laws or follow the political leaders in power who defy the laws?

I dunno to be honest. That is a stumper.

F

Moves
28 Feb 15

Originally posted by whodey
The scripture says to honor the laws but the leaders don't mind the laws, so where does that leave us? 😕
Where did Jesus talk about things like Executive Orders and Vetoes and Supreme Court decisions, as opposed to laws passed by a legislature? I don't see that he did. Did any of Jesus' comments pre-echo your personal partisan opposition to the way U.S. politics works? If so, which of Jesus' words do you reckon addressed it?

F

Moves
28 Feb 15
1 edit

Would Jesus say to follow the laws or follow the political leaders in power who defy the laws?

I dunno to be honest. That is a stumper.
Executive Orders are entirely legal in the U.S. system. Which of Jesus' words do you claim are saying that there is something wrong with Executive Orders? You weren't opposed to any of the Executive Orders of the previous president. Why didn't you cite Jesus regarding what is legal and not legal in the U.S. back then?

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
28 Feb 15

Originally posted by FMF
Executive Orders are entirely legal in the U.S. system. Which of Jesus' words do you claim are saying that there is something wrong with Executive Orders? You weren't opposed to any of the Executive Orders of the previous president. Why didn't you cite Jesus regarding what is legal and not legal in the U.S. back then?
And why do you look at the speck in your brother’s eye, but do not consider the plank in your own eye? Or how can you say to your brother, ‘Let me remove the speck from your eye’; and look, a plank is in your own eye? Hypocrite! First remove the plank from your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother’s eye.

(Matthew 7:3-5 NKJV)

w

Moves
28 Feb 15

Originally posted by FMF
Illegal immigration is illegal.

An Executive Order to the contrary without changing the law is breaking the said law.

F

Moves
28 Feb 15

An Executive Order to the contrary without changing the law is breaking the said law.
Executive Orders are not illegal in the U.S. Indeed, U.S. law makes provision for them. Where did Jesus say anything that supports your suggestion that Executive Orders are illegal or that supports any of your personal opinions and positions on the nuts and bolts of U.S. retail politics? You have cited a supposedly supernatural divine being to support your partisan politics ~ you need to come up with scripture surely?

F

Moves
28 Feb 15
1 edit

An amnesty forgives or sets aside illegality or punishment. The Obama administration has reduced the number of illegal immigrants crossing into the U.S. The administration has increased the number of illegal immigrants being deported from the U.S. There will be an amnesty for many of those who have lived and worked in the U.S. for many years. They won't be "illegal" any more. That is what an amnesty means. Where in scripture do you believe God or Christ express their opposition to an amnesty?

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
28 Feb 15

Anyone know what the term "Rat Hole" means?

F

Moves
28 Feb 15

Originally posted by KellyJay
Do you also think your God figure opposes an amnesty for immigrants who have been living illegally in the U.S. for many years?

Secret RHP coder

on the payroll

Moves
28 Feb 15

Yes, Jesus is who I had in mind.

So do you feel like those who love their enemies are taken advantage of?
If all they're doing is helping an enemy that's about to die? Nah.

Cape Town

Moves
28 Feb 15

My intentions are to challenge a government that I feel is oppressive in many ways and increasingly becoming worse.
So basically your enemy.

As in Jesus' day, the world leaders are the ones who hold the wealth and the power and oppress the poor.

Not much has changed except perhaps the demagoguery. Jesus was not very kind to them either. He called them out on a daily basis

So Jesus didn't practice what he preached. That doesn't change the fact that you show no love for Obama.

Cape Town

Moves
28 Feb 15

So do you feel like those who love their enemies are taken advantage of?
I don't. Loving your enemy doesn't mean letting yourself be taken advantage of. It means actually caring about your enemy, and in many ways can help to resolve the conflict.

w

Moves
28 Feb 15

Originally posted by twhitehead
I don't. Loving your enemy doesn't mean letting yourself be taken advantage of. It means actually caring about your enemy, and in many ways can help to resolve the conflict.
What do you reckon Jesus resolved by calling the religious leaders of his day hypocrites and asps?

The religious leaders of his day feigned support for the poor, while their lives did not reflect this fact. This is just like our political leaders of our day. They whine about the rich and how they need to help the poor more, while the situation just gets worse despite their laws that they pass.

In the end, all that ends up happening is that their power increases while they throw a few crumbs under the table for the dogs to lap up as a reward.

Moves
28 Feb 15

Originally posted by KellyJay
Yeah, it means "Texas".

Moves
28 Feb 15

Originally posted by twhitehead
Not much has changed except perhaps the demagoguery. Jesus was not very kind to them either. He called them out on a daily basis
So Jesus didn't practice what he preached.
Erm, no. That you love someone as a fellow human being doesn't mean that you can't call them out on their faults. Quite the contrary - it would show complete callousness and lack of care not to point out to your friends, or enemies, that they're making mistakes.