Life from non-life?

Life from non-life?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

n
Lost

Copenhagen

Moves
31 May 05

Originally posted by dj2becker
So you don't regard a belief in the unknown as religious in nature?
No, as I said, it depends on how you react to it.

Moves
31 May 05

Originally posted by nickybutt
No, as I said, it depends on how you react to it.
So in what way should you react in order not to make it religious in nature?

Chief Justice

Center of Contention

Moves
31 May 05

How would you define complex? Would a single simple cell be complex?
Christ, what a stupid debate. Hey dj2becker, go look up the elan vital. There is nothing special about life, it is not some mystical force that infuses matter, you know. We call things 'alive' when they have certain properties, like a metabolism. There are no clear boundaries between the category of things we call 'alive' and the category of things we call 'non-lliving'. Once you get clear on the properties that normally attend our judgements concerning when something is living or non-living, you'll see that there is nothing metaphysically special about life; it is just a certain sort of physical constitution, a certain sort of complex order.

n
Lost

Copenhagen

Moves
31 May 05

So in what way should you react in order not to make it religious in nature?
Whenever you come across anything new or problematic in life, you should think for yourself instead af relying on, or turning to, God.

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
31 May 05

I cannot see this as possibly happening eventhough the universe were 500 billion years old.
Why not?

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
31 May 05

How much difference do you think there is between the smallest "living" thing, viruses (which were only discovered in the 1890's) and other chemical interactions in nature? Perhaps you need to define life before you try to figure out how it got here.

b

Moves
31 May 05

Originally posted by rwingett
Genisis 2:7 And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.

Your own bible says that man was formed from non-living matter. The only thing in dispute is the mechanism by which it happened.
God is neither non-living nor matter.

b

Moves
31 May 05

Originally posted by no1marauder
How much difference do you think there is between the smallest "living" thing, viruses (which were only discovered in the 1890's) and other chemical interactions in nature? Perhaps you need to define life before you try to figure out how it got here.
Viruses are not living.

i

Felicific Forest

Moves
31 May 05

Originally posted by bbarr
Christ, what a stupid debate. Hey dj2becker, go look up the elan vital. There is nothing special about life, it is not some mystical force that infuses matter, you know. We call things 'alive' when they have certain properties, like a metabolism. There are no clear boundaries between the category of things we call 'alive' and the category of thi ...[text shortened]... out life; it is just a certain sort of physical constitution, a certain sort of complex order.

Bbarr: "There is nothing special about life, ... "

You said it ....... I'll remember it.

Chief Justice

Center of Contention

Moves
31 May 05

Originally posted by ivanhoe

Fine by me, just remember the whole sentence, and not merely this sentence fragment. I wouldn't want you to get confused, misconstrue my point, and end up looking stupid in the forums.

b

Moves
31 May 05

How would you know until you have been non-living?

Chief Justice

Center of Contention

Moves
31 May 05
1 edit

Originally posted by bobbob1056th
How would you know until you have been non-living?
Are you on crack? That is one of the dumbest questions I've ever read in the forums. Congratulations, you're a poster boy for the idiocy of your worldview.

P
Mystic Meg

tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4

Moves
31 May 05

Are you on crack?
He knows, since he's brain dead.

ES

i

Felicific Forest

Moves
31 May 05

Fine by me, just remember the whole sentence, and not merely this sentence fragment. I wouldn't want you to get confused, misconstrue my point, and end up looking stupid in the forums.

Which part of your statement you want me to remember also ?

Chief Justice

Center of Contention

Moves
31 May 05

Which part of your statement you want me to remember also ?
Uh, the second half of the sentence you quoted. It is the second half that explicates what is meant by the use of the term 'special' in the first half.